Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
My brother has a 1987? 911 turbo sitting in his barn, hardly used for 10 years (think still runs it enough so things are lubed). Does this model have decent valuation?
Oh yeah--those '80s 911 Turbos (930) are considered iconic Porsches--in excellent condition it would be worth $70.000-$100,000.

For fun, look at what they have sold for on Bring a Trailer:

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/r...+911+930+turbo

Last edited by paredown; 07-21-2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 07-19-2019, 08:17 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...le/porsche/930
Old 07-20-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisericd View Post
Bumping this up for some collective wisdom. I’ve been on the hunt for a low 70’s GTV for a few years now. Unfortunately, as things go, since 2015 since I started (and never pulled the trigger - not really ready cash wise at that point), GTV’s have gone up from the high $20’s for a really nice 1750 to the high $40’s, even into $50,000 for a really, really nice one.

So - I’ve been in, driven hard and really loved a 1970 911S. Unfortunately, that’s $180,000 car, not in my $50,000 price range. Then, yesterday I found and drove a 1977 911S. Beautiful inside and out, perfect interior, original paint, restored engine - all that. I could probably get it for $40,000 or so. I drove it - it drives like the 1970, just a bit less power. Still, fun as hell.

The 1977 911S has been labeled the bastard child of the 70’s Porsche’s. Actually, more like the 1974-1977. Not a “real” S, not an SC, etc. This is all my opinion and what I’ve read - please. No offense meant.

I haven’t driven a GTV and there are none local for me to try. The question is, in my price range should I fly somewhere and try a GTV or be happy with the local 1977 911S? Thoughts about late 70’s 911S’s? There’s also the GTV’s have really increased in value / price over the last 4 years and the late 70’s 911S’s while increasing, I don’t think are at the “top” yet part.

Advice, thoughts, insight, experiences much appreciated.
I've had a couple of 105 GTVs and several, old air-cooled 911s. The 911s have better build quality and a much more developed support base - especially if you want to modify the cars. They also have an incredible amount of update/backdate possibilities and potential mods to make them fly. The Alfas do as well, but not nearly to the degree that 911s do. That being said, as much as I like 911s, I liked my 105 GTVs more. They were slower, didn't handle as well, but I liked the directness of their shifting, the driving experience, and the character of the cars. Plus, I really like the way that twin cam motor looked with the Spica injection on it. Cool machines!

As for a '77 911, I wouldn't be hesitant to buy one compared to other years of 911s. For a long time the mid year cars (74-77) were the bastard children of the air-cooled cars. However, they've really come into their own in the last few years. Their pricing is close to that of comparable SCs and 80s Carreras. I really like the narrow bodies and polished trim of that era. Plus it's much easier to find a stripped down version with roll-up windows, no sunroof, and pop-out rear windows (increases flow thru ventilation). The 2.7 motors were known to overheat and pull head studs from the motor case. It was due to the emissions controls that they were using in conjunction with the case and stud materials. Most of their issues have already been sorted over the years. Typical upgrades that one should look for on those motors are hydraulic timing chain tensioners, an 11 blade fan, and an upgraded oil cooler. Outside of the 2.7 motor issue, the cars have no real weaknesses beyond what your typical air-cooled 911 had. You should be able to find a nice one within your budget. I'd suggest joining the Pelican and Rennlist forums if you haven't already as well as PCA. The Samba is another good place to keep an eye out.

Good luck with your search!

Texbike
Old 07-20-2019, 10:38 AM

oh my.

if in good condition, could be worth a lot. north of $100k.

or not.

Quote:
My brother has a 1987? 911 turbo sitting in his barn, hardly used for 10 years (think still runs it enough so things are lubed). Does this model have decent valuation?
Old 07-20-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
I've had a couple of 105 GTVs and several, old air-cooled 911s. The 911s have better build quality and a much more developed support base - especially if you want to modify the cars. They also have an incredible amount of update/backdate possibilities and potential mods to make them fly. The Alfas do as well, but not nearly to the degree that 911s do. That being said, as much as I like 911s, I liked my 105 GTVs more. They were slower, didn't handle as well, but I liked the directness of their shifting, the driving experience, and the character of the cars. Plus, I really like the way that twin cam motor looked with the Spica injection on it. Cool machines!

As for a '77 911, I wouldn't be hesitant to buy one compared to other years of 911s. For a long time the mid year cars (74-77) were the bastard children of the air-cooled cars. However, they've really come into their own in the last few years. Their pricing is close to that of comparable SCs and 80s Carreras. I really like the narrow bodies and polished trim of that era. Plus it's much easier to find a stripped down version with roll-up windows, no sunroof, and pop-out rear windows (increases flow thru ventilation). The 2.7 motors were known to overheat and pull head studs from the motor case. It was due to the emissions controls that they were using in conjunction with the case and stud materials. Most of their issues have already been sorted over the years. Typical upgrades that one should look for on those motors are hydraulic timing chain tensioners, an 11 blade fan, and an upgraded oil cooler. Outside of the 2.7 motor issue, the cars have no real weaknesses beyond what your typical air-cooled 911 had. You should be able to find a nice one within your budget. I'd suggest joining the Pelican and Rennlist forums if you haven't already as well as PCA. The Samba is another good place to keep an eye out.

Good luck with your search!

Texbike
One other upgrade I'd look for on 1974-77 911 would be inserts (steel?) in the block for the head studs to screw into to help prevent them pulling out as noted by Texbike. Porsche, BMW and M-B all tried to avoid needing catalytic converters and unleaded gas by using thermal reactors which were like afterburners in the exhaust manifolds. Unfortunately the heat they generated caused cracked heads and or manifolds in many cars with those systems so I think they all went to catalytic converters by the 1978 model year.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 07-20-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:46 AM

Great collective wisdom!

The particular car I'm after has been serviced by the selling dealer (consignment) since the mid-90's and I know the history of the car going back before that. I know all of the typical issues have been taken care of and that the previous owner(s) has taken really good care of it.

I have a place to store it and some mechanical aptitude along with a neighbor that restores cars - I'm really looking forward to some basic wrenching.

The journey continues - hopefully I can get something sorted out this week.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:33 AM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
One other upgrade I'd look for on 1974-77 911 would be inserts (steel?) in the block for the head studs to screw into to help prevent them pulling out.
Those are called case savers, FYI.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Climber

My friend's father bought this and let me take it for a drive. It was pretty amazing the amount of grip and acceleration. I've never heard a V6 sound like this. I was considering leasing a regular Giulia but I just don't think it would be that exciting with out a stick. My wife looked at a Stelvio as a family crossover but it was too small for all the stuff and kids we haul with us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wXIfikM.jpg (68.1 KB, 195 views)
Old 07-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Climber

However, the craziest most functional vehicle I have driven is this
e63. Absolute animal scary fast, makes crazy sounds, takes the twisties fantastic and could carry a family and belongings comfortably. I would get one if I had the money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2371.jpg (44.3 KB, 188 views)
Old 07-21-2019, 02:24 PM

Just heard my my sister, brother keeps his porsche in a barn area, there are ferile cats around. He found an 8 week old kitten in the car (which has been subsequently been rescued and given to my sister.

I don't understand...
Old 07-21-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanScott View Post
However, the craziest most functional vehicle I have driven is this
e63. Absolute animal scary fast, makes crazy sounds, takes the twisties fantastic and could carry a family and belongings comfortably. I would get one if I had the money.
Have always wanted one of those. Up to over 600HP for 2019. And over $100K. Agree, if I had the money...………….
Old 07-21-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Just heard my my sister, brother keeps his porsche in a barn area, there are ferile cats around. He found an 8 week old kitten in the car (which has been subsequently been rescued and given to my sister.

I don't understand...
One day we'll be reading about the "barn find" that your brother's Porsche turned into--how some old git just left it in the barn for kittens to nest in.

True confession--I used to be so critical of old guys surrounded by projects--and now I are one. Getaroundtoit--that's a time frame that can get away from a person....
Old 07-22-2019, 04:36 AM

Porsche or Alfa ..... Porsche.

I've lusted after a 911 since I was 18. Almost bought one at 24 in France to replace a 205GTI I did not. Then life wife kids, got in the way for about 25 years.

Finally bought a 2017 PDK Carrera three years ago. Incredible car. But I recently "upgraded" to what I consider the best car ever. 2019 GT3 touring. 6speed manual gear box, 4L 500hp naturally aspirated flat 6, 9000rpm red line.

It's my daily driver in the bay area and I intend to drive it until I can't get in and out of it any more (full carbon buckets ).

Old 07-22-2019, 08:06 AM
Climber

Lionel - that is a ridiculously awesome gt3 -
Mad props for getting it with the 6speed - proper!
Old 07-22-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanScott View Post
Lionel - that is a ridiculously awesome gt3 -
Mad props for getting it with the 6speed - proper!
Thanks. This car makes me feel like a kid at Christmas every time I drive it. Even taking the long (sometimes very long) way to the office