Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 08:22 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
There is only one cardinal rule - pineapple on pizza is verboten!
There's a few places in Brooklyn that would kick you out on the sidewalk if you asked. And tell you to go drink an espresso with olive oil.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Ha, yeah, I was thinking that the people who don't complain love the effect.
Ya know, I was kinda thinking the same thing... or they don't wanna openly admit that they bout shat themselves
Old 04-18-2024, 08:31 AM

Starbucks does that to me without adding olive oil.

The espresso is tolerable and doesn't make me sick but that stuff used to make drip coffee is just absolutely vile. 100% the worst mass market coffee.

It'll give me stomach cramps and a headache all day too.

Maybe if you eat all processed food and get 0g fiber per day it works out OK to drink starbucks?
Old 04-18-2024, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

The espresso is tolerable and doesn't make me sick but that stuff used to make drip coffee is just absolutely vile. 100% the worst mass market coffee.

It'll give me stomach cramps and a headache all day too.

Maybe if you eat all processed food and get 0g fiber per day it works out OK to drink starbucks?
I’m mostly vegetarian and just ate a monster bowl of high fiber cereal as I sipped on a cup of Starbucks drip coffee….

Sometimes I wonder if my tastebuds are inferior but then I see the store on every corner and realize it’s probably not me. I think their ground coffee from the grocery store tastes better than most fancy single origin etc etc. hit or miss directly from a retail Starbucks but it is what I’ll choose when traveling.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 04-18-2024 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
hit or miss directly from a retail Starbucks but it is what I’ll choose when traveling.
I default to Starbucks only when travelling as well. At least I know exactly what I'm getting.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I’m mostly vegetarian and just ate a monster bowl of high fiber cereal as I sipped on a cup of Starbucks drip coffee….

Sometimes I wonder if my tastebuds are inferior but then I see the store on every corner and realize it’s probably not me.
500+ calorie syrup+cream+sugar desserts that happen to have a shot of espresso in them seems to be a huge part of their success. There are a lot of people that want that, and they will 100% not even go into a specialty coffee place that serves really excellent coffee but doesn't make giant desserts. It's basically a melted ice cream in a cup. Given that the quality of the coffee is not the important part.

I have a Starbucks < 5 minute walk from my house so of course I occasionally go there. I mostly see that I am the only one ordering a normal coffee drink that would be recognizable over in Europe or any other place that is traditional.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:

The espresso is tolerable
1) I will only drink Starbucks drip if I'm already, or about to immediately be, sitting on the toilet.

2) Their blonde espresso is actually pretty good! If I find myself at a starbucks, it usually the least disappointing thing that isnt 700 calories of sugar

Last edited by sasquatch16v; 04-18-2024 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:28 AM

Yes the blonde is by far the best tolerable coffee they have there.

I have been to multiple boutique coffee roasters and/or farms that have shown their samples across the normal range of roast profiles, and Starbucks "medium" is already off the dark end of the scale they use. They have a huge amount of charcoal/ash content in some of their coffees.

A lot of this is you have to prefer extremely dark roasts to enjoy Starbucks, and for most people I think extremely dark roast + espresso is just a better combination.

But Starbucks target audience is not people sipping black coffee with no sugar and slurpring/smelling to get the tasting notes.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
But Starbucks target audience is not people sipping black coffee with no sugar and slurpring/smelling to get the tasting notes.
Guilty as charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
Starbucks drip is disgusting, which is weird because we buy the Italian roast beans at the grocery and they're fantastic through our coffee maker at home.
Do yourself a solid and buy some good coffee from a specialty coffee roaster. It might just be life changing. Edit: Place an order with Black and White Coffee Roasters - they're in Raleigh. They're the closest really, really great filter coffee roaster to you.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 04-18-2024 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:37 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post

Do yourself a solid and buy some good coffee from a specialty coffee roaster. It might just be life changing.

Yeah, nothing more cringe worthy than taking to somebody about their first home espresso setup, and they talk about the Starbucks coffee they put in it. Or worse, like the other day, Costco beans.
Old 04-18-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
What'll really bake your noodle is a long espresso (what the Italians would call an Americana) with a teaspoon of Ghee butter.

I swear by it.
Ghee freaks me out and the taste weirds me out... which annoys my parents plenty because I'm indian and we all grew up in the motherland

Old 04-18-2024, 10:03 AM

I wish someone would just tell me what’s acceptable food and coffee for me or others to like. I was under the apparently-mistaken impression that what I ate/drank didn’t affect anyone else.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Guilty as charged
Me too most of the time, nothing to be ashamed of.

The people getting Dunkin tattoos around here are just as amusing as Starbucks die hards.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:13 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Me too most of the time, nothing to be ashamed of.

The people getting Dunkin tattoos around here are just as amusing as Starbucks die hards.
Stahbucks.

https://youtu.be/FSvNhxKJJyU?si=S53odFsQqmJjEOwt
Old 04-18-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Guilty as charged

Do yourself a solid and buy some good coffee from a specialty coffee roaster. It might just be life changing. Edit: Place an order with Black and White Coffee Roasters - they're in Raleigh. They're the closest really, really great filter coffee roaster to you.
I feel I went all in for maybe 10 years of trying different methods such as hand grinding then using a press or aeropress or pour over; weighing beans and water while checking with an instant temp the water. I can confidently say it was a total waste of money but a good experience. I’m apparently one of the few that thinks many single origin coffees are sour, what seems to be “fruity” in fancy coffee speak, or simply not good tasting.

I still weigh my pre ground Starbucks coffee before putting it in my cuisinart drip machine with unfiltered tap water