Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 AM
needs adult supervision

Impressions of Moots Vamoots?

For those of you who've owned or ridden a Vamoots, what did you think? Likes? Any dislikes? And three specific questions: what sizes tires can a Vamoots handle? Who makes the moots fork? And anyone run their Vamoots with a Moots seat post...if yes, do you dig the post? Thank you in advance.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
For those of you who've owned or ridden a Vamoots, what did you think? Likes? Any dislikes? And three specific questions: what sizes tires can a Vamoots handle? Who makes the moots fork? And anyone run their Vamoots with a Moots seat post...if yes, do you dig the post? Thank you in advance.
No dislikes but I am admittedly biased(number 1 Moots dealer in the US).

LOVE my Vamoots. Simple, does everything it supposed to do, well.

Love their philosophy to not jump on every bike design gizmo that comes down the pike. No carbon plugs, no carbon butt ends.

Best welds in the industry, very 'centered' company. Call and talk to a person.

Probably some thin-ish 28s would fit but get one spec'ed for long reach brakes if ya want more.

Fork made in Asia, same place some other manufacturers forks are made, like Enve.

Have a SP and stem...titanium, expensive, does nothing in terms of ride comfort, being Ti, but they don't anyway, carbon, aluminum, titanium..looks COOL.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 AM

I love my Vamoots! It's really my go-to bike and sees most of my miles. It's older and has an Ouzo Pro on it so I can't really speak to the new forks. I've had 25s on it, but it seems like it would be a tight fit with 28s.

They're wonderful, simple, beautifully-crafted bikes. As much as I love my Colnago and Merckx options, the Vamoots will probably be the last one to go.

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 09-25-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 AM
tailgunning

having ridden high-end production carbon and moderately nice steel bikes - shiz, the vamoots blows all of them away.

yeah, it's an extra couple of pounds over the CF bikes, but it rides like velvet no regrets.

i have 25's on there and i'm sure it could sport 28's and a resounding yes to the seatpost. it's simple, but it's incredible craftsmanship.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 AM
bourbon!

I've never heard a bad word about Moots bikes. Ever.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:28 AM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I've never heard a bad word about Moots bikes. Ever.
the decals could use some work.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
the decals could use some work.
That, and there's no paint option. Some don't care for the industrial look of bare titanium.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
That, and there's no paint option. Some don't care for the industrial look of bare titanium.
There's always a paint option...just not from the factory.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
There's always a paint option...just not from the factory.
Spectrum powder works did mine. Awesome work. Super durable. Never had a paint chip after two years.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I've had a Vamoots for about 6 years. Still like the ride. I had mine sent to Spectrum Powder works when i placed my order. It only sports a head badge which I like. Ouzo Pro fork. Thompson post.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 PM

I recently purchased a used custom vamoots sl. I've put about 500km on it since I got it and really like it.

My only complaint, and it may be because it is custom, is this is the first road bike I've owned with toe overlap, which makes tight turns and weaving in traffic harder.

I've never owned a high end road bike, but do own multiple high end mountain bikes. The details on such a simple looking bike are amazing.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:23 PM

In 10+ years ...

Never heard a complaint about a Vamoots ...
Old 09-26-2013, 08:55 PM

I've had my Moots Vamoots CR for about 4 months and love it. What drawn me to Moots is that they know what they're doing with Ti and its going to last forever. Obviously all frame material will last forever if taken care properly even CF. People said that the shelf life if CF is only a couple years but I'm seeing some pretty old frame out there.

Another aspect that drawn me towards Moots is that this is practically the same bike that they made when it first came out, though with some revision to a compact geometry and the newly double butted on the RSL model. I can say 10 years from now they're still going to make the same great bike that I have now. My bike won't be "outdated" by next year when they make the SL5 EVO nano 62.3 thats stiffer, lighter, and more aero.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:05 PM

Love mine too.

Got a 2009 Compact and love it. Great all around bike. Mine is built up with Dura Ace 7800 and a Kestrel fork. The only nit pick I had was with the Alpha Q built Moots branded fork I got with the frame. Steerer tube just seemed to flex a bit too much for my liking. I also have a Ti Serotta Concours that has a Kestrel fork with an aluminum steerer tube that had virtually no flex. So I picked up a brand new fork for cheap on ebay and am thrilled with it. Improved the stiffness yet still has a smooth ride. Could not be happier with my Moots. And as mentioned by others they have improved the decals by using a more durable/thicker material. No issues with mine in 4 years.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 PM

I bought a 2012 Vamoots last year as a 50th birthday gift from me to me and it's fantastic. I'm not one to change bikes often (for the 20 years prior to this I rode a 1992 Serotta Colorado tg) so I took a long time deciding on this one. It really is as good as everyone says. It's quick and responsive if you want to push it yet it can just float along perfectly for a lazy afternoon ride. Mine is built up with HED Belgium C2s and I use 25c Vredestein Fortezza TriComps. Those tires measure about 26.5 across on those rims and they fit fine. I have about 3000 miles on mine and I have never once felt it wasn't the right choice. I did get the straight seat post because I really wanted the ability to change fore-aft and angle separately. It functions great and it looks fantastic, but as others have said, it's a seat post. That being said, I'm glad I have it. The company was fantastic to work with and they are very environmentally conscious, which was important to me. Mine is a stock 58 with a 1cm taller head tube (no charge for that) and a pump peg and it did indeed take every bit of 9 weeks from order to door. But it was well worth it. I still smile when I look down and see the sun glisten off that finish. I feel fortunate that I was at a point where I could afford one and have zero regrets.
I like the fact that it has a classic look with the just slightly sloping top tube and I also like that, aside from mine, I've never seen another one. Granted my nearest dealer is 150 miles away, but Moots helped out with that also. Because the closest dealer is over 100 miles away, Moots spoke to my local shop and arranged for a demo to be shipped to them in my size which they let me keep for a week. After approximately the first 30 feet of the first ride, I knew I wanted one and they let my LBS be the middleman. So I got the bike I wanted from my favorite shop. That to me was going above and beyond what you expect from companies nowadays.