Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2018, 10:44 AM

Pegoretti, choice vs. current Ride?

Good, day; I wanted to ask, the owners of the Marcelo, and Duende, frame sets a question. I slowly fell into the Pegoretti illness last year around the Philly bike show, I dismissed it, but it is here to stay. THE question would a fellow Paceline member go to Stelbel, an Italian frame builders, web site and look at there Rodano, closely. Check out the chain stays etc. and tell me in your opinion which Pegoretti it is closer to, the Duende, or the Marcelo, my forward direction is regardless of my age riding style etc. I do not want what I already have. Best, to you, and yours; bobvelo;
Old 07-29-2018, 08:04 PM

If you don't race get the Duende. It is a magic carpet ride. Yes I own one. Don't worry if a new bike is like your current bike. Get one that is designed for the type of riding you will be doing.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:22 PM

Neither, Responsorium. The one I recently picked up is phenomenal.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvelo View Post
Good, day; I wanted to ask, the owners of the Marcelo, and Duende, frame sets a question. I slowly fell into the Pegoretti illness last year around the Philly bike show, I dismissed it, but it is here to stay. THE question would a fellow Paceline member go to Stelbel, an Italian frame builders, web site and look at there Rodano, closely. Check out the chain stays etc. and tell me in your opinion which Pegoretti it is closer to, the Duende, or the Marcelo, my forward direction is regardless of my age riding style etc. I do not want what I already have. Best, to you, and yours; bobvelo;
I'm confused...so you want a Peg, but you're willing to get a Stelbel in lieu of? And you're expecting it to ride the same or similar? Just because the chainstay looks the same, I'm pretty sure it's not going to ride the same.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:12 PM

VeloBob,

I do not know where you live but Summer Cycles in San Diego have several Pegs to demo. If you are in the area or are traveling to San Diego area stop by. You could probably call them and have them walk you through the differences too.

http://summercycles.com/demo/
Old 07-29-2018, 09:29 PM

Hello, I am sorry for any, confusion. I bought directly, a Stelbel Rodano ordered late 2016 received last spring the experience
was great. I built it up and have been riding it a lot, moving forward, I would like to put together another bike, in the next year or so. The Pegoretti bug bite, I should have a link showing the Stelbel, Rodano model, my computer skills are not 100%. Hence the request, to have the Pegoretti owners give a quick look, and let me know there thoughts, but I am leaning towards the Duende, as I do not race, but I mostly ride solo, around Gettysburg, Best to you, bobvelo
Old 07-29-2018, 09:40 PM

Been riding a BLE since 2006, it's on the second paint job. I found it on this forum, I had wanted a BLE for a few years and had the money, but there were just none my size in existence in the supply chain (Gita). Then this one popped up and I grabbed it. It's the best riding bike I've ever owned, Dario gets it.

For comparison, I've got a Merckx MX Leader, Serotta Ti, and a Nobilette GT.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:49 AM

I have two Duendes and a Responsorium. The bikes are very stable, very smooth and well balanced. I am small and not powerful at all, so my Duendes are plenty stiff for me. I would not consider a Marcelo, although I know it is the gold standard for many more powerful riders. The Respo. may have touch more spring in the ride and may have a little titanium flavor about it. For me, given the cost of the Responsoriums, I think the Duende is the perfect frame. When I ordered my Ciavete I went with another Duende.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:13 AM

Duende here and can't imagine needing anything stiffer. One step closer to planing with those thinner stays....but that is a whole nuther discussion.

Anyone here have a stelbel? I don't recall seeing any, but would love some real world comparos.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
I'm confused...so you want a Peg, but you're willing to get a Stelbel in lieu of? And you're expecting it to ride the same or similar? Just because the chainstay looks the same, I'm pretty sure it's not going to ride the same.
It could be better...
Old 07-30-2018, 04:35 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
VeloBob,

I do not know where you live but Summer Cycles in San Diego have several Pegs to demo. If you are in the area or are traveling to San Diego area stop by. You could probably call them and have them walk you through the differences too.

http://summercycles.com/demo/
Wow, that’s an impressive demo fleet. Smart, too. Craig is doing it right.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:41 PM

Definitely curious to hear an a/b comparison!!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:20 PM

I'll throw this out there as a possible option. Dario designed the old Giordana bikes and I was able to get a NOS frame straight from the warehouse 3 years ago. This bike feels amazing under me on the road, better than my De Rosa, Serotta, Basso or even the Italian built Lemonds I have. It feels so good that I've sought out and picked up a couple of others.

So "Dario on the cheap" you may want to try and locate one of these. I just contacted Gita via their webpage to arrange picking up mine. They still had several various models in different sizes.

This is the NOS one, a Super XL . 19 lbs 6 ozs with not C.F. parts at all. Just "heavy" Athena ll speed. Excell Podium steel tubeset.

I recently picked up this Polaris made with Columbus SLX and it delivered the goods on it's first test ride.

Finally is this Antares, made with Columbus Cromor. It may be a "lesser" grade of steel but it really moves out on the road.

So, they may not have Dario's name but they sure have his pedigree and it shows in how well they ride. Just throwing that out there.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:46 PM

I recently emailed Dario with my height, weight and few other dimensions and told him I was looking at a Duende or a Marcelo. He replied pretty quickly and told me which one he would put me on.

So you might drop him a line and see what he thinks.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:47 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
I recently emailed Dario with my height, weight and few other dimensions and told him I was looking at a Duende or a Marcelo. He replied pretty quickly and told me which one he would put me on.

So you might drop him a line and see what he thinks.
Can’t leave us hanging!!! Inquiring minds and all that. Want to share more details??