Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds (Cycling Products)

Old 04-27-2019, 12:19 PM

FS: '16 Trek Domane Koppenberg viper red

For Sale is a very rare bike. A frame that has been discussed here prior - in fact - this discussion is what lead me to joining!!! Anyway, for sale is a 2016 Trek Domane Koppenberg in awesome Viper Red with Shimano Dura Ace 9000.

This is the bike that was made for only two years and it was only available in 56, 58, 60 and 62cm. It was the frame Cancellara preferred for all his races and it was the bike for the big boys. I hadn't had a Trek in years and came to love this frame. The bike was purchased in '18 and has less than a thousand miles it - it's 60cm but any buyer should be aware that this is some unique and awesome geo. It's truly low and long and I am between a 60cm and 62cm so after riding this bike and loving it I looked for a 62cm frame and after a few months found one - not in the color I wanted, but it was a 2015 and it was new so I purchased it. The 62cm fits me just a tad better than a 60cm. You can see by the photo that the bikes are very close in size - as the geo chart shows too. My friend likes to say this is a bike that was made without a focus group. I would agree. The fork bending back at the quick release is the rare seen design that identifies this rare gem.

I'm asking $2750 and will ship the bike in the continental US. As indicated the groups is Dura Ace 9000 - the cranks are 175mm 36x52 and the cassette is 12-26 and the stem is a 130mm deda zero and the bars are 44cm deda zero 100. The saddle trek paradigm and the wheels trek paradigm.

Please let me know if you have any questions. This is a very unique bike from a very brief and unique period of time. I'd like to thank user KJMUNC who was very nice and helpful when I was thinking of going with a 62cm. Also, here is a good article on the '15 model of this unique bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3604.jpg (118.1 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3600.jpg (123.7 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3598.jpg (95.5 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg Trek-Domane-LIMITED-KOPPENBERG-EDITION.jpg (83.2 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by b33; 04-28-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:35 PM

Ugh, I had this exact bike and miss it... if you want to sell the frame, let me know.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2019, 03:02 PM

For what it’s worth, that is not the geo chart that goes with the Koppenberg. That is for the old “Classics” geo version, which is now the “Pro Endurance” geometry. Very different. For instance, the wheelbase of a 60cm Koppenberg is 1001mm, same as an Emonda of the same size, but very different from the super long 1040mm of the Pro Endurance geo.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:14 PM

Ok; rather than go back and forth with the OP on this over pm. I thought I’d just post publicly.
That revised geo chart is still not totally correct, but closer.

Here’s the scoop. This frame is essentially an Emonda H1 geometry on steroids. Trek never actually had a specific geo chart for the Koppenberg on their website, they just called it H1, and for the most part it is exactly that with a couple of minor differences as follows...
The BB drop is a bit lower than the Emonda, at 75mm versus 68mm for a 60cm Emonda.
And the headtube length is 170mm, but ends up at the equivalent height form the axle as an H1 Emonda (with a 180mm HT) because the axle to crown length is 380mm vs 370mm. So, a wash. The stack height on the Koppenberg, due to the lowered BB, is correspondingly a bit larger because of this, say 5-7mm without specifically calculating the exact effect of the headtube angle on stack height as a result of the 7mm lowered BB.
The final thing is the fork offset on the Koppenberg is 40mm, due to the swept back front dropouts, not the 50 something millimeters listed in the chart above.
Bottom line is that I think this is the sweetest road frame Trek has ever produced. Especially if you’re a larger rider, it’s not light, by Emonda standards, even the SL. The rear hanger is steel and non replaceable, but really strong.
The only think is if you want to run really big tires (like greater than 27-28mm), depending on the rim (if clinchers) you may experience some clearance issues at the rear brake bridge. Buckets of clearance however under the fork crown.

For clarity, I do not know the OP, just noticed this frame for sale and had to comment that the geo he had originally listed was incorrect. I think anyone who might want to buy this frame would want the correct geo listed. I believe it was an honest mistake by the OP, as details on this particular frame are indeed hard to come by, but misinformation abounds.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:19 PM

This is the actual koppenberg geo chart from the 2015 trek catalog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98ACC575-A0A6-444C-8170-D206C75A017C.jpg (56.4 KB, 166 views)
Old 04-28-2019, 12:24 PM

^ Yeah, that’s better, except for the headtube length and the BB drop, which are different as I’ve noted above.
And the fact that the smallest size made in the Koppenberg was a 56.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:31 PM

I took measurements of the wheelbase and the headtube - for sure my original graphic was wrong, the new one seems to be right - as does the one quick feet posted - at least with wheelbase and headtube.

It's very difficult to get the information in this frame and as colnago has said even people within Trek don't even know. I will say Calnago has this exact same frame and same frame size and he takes far more detailed measurements and knows more on builds than I - so what he says is I am sure proper (which includes it being a sweet ride).

Please let me know if you have any questions I am happy to take measurements or send high res pics. I just learned my 62cm is 5 cm longer in the wheelbase!!!!
Old 04-28-2019, 12:42 PM

Measure your headtube again, I’ll bet it’s 170mm, not 180mm. Only include the actual headtube, not any headset top cover above it.
Also, what do you mean your 62 is 5cm longer? Longer than what? Are you sure your 62 isn’t the Classics version?
In fact, looking at your 62 in the pics above, I’m thinking maybe it is in fact, not a Koppenberg, but the Classics version. That gap between the rear wheel and the downtube almost has me convinced that’s the case since those chainstays must be pretty long to produce a gap like that.

Last edited by Calnago; 04-28-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calnago View Post
Measure your headtube again, I’ll bet it’s 170mm, not 180mm. Only include the actual headtube, not any headset top cover above it.
Also, what do you mean your 62 is 5cm longer? Longer than what? Are you sure your 62 isn’t the Classics version?
I think my 62cm is a classic version - it's a 106 wheelbase and 19cm headtube - the red 60cm seems to have a 17 headtube.

If you can't tell I've Never had custom or done a fit - I just ride 60cm or 62cm and do a 130 or 140 stem.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calnago View Post
The black one in OPs post is a Trek Domane Classics, as he bought it from the same place I got mine and it was advertised as such.

Both are amazing frames, but as Calnago has pointed out, very different beasts.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:30 PM

Yup, the red one is a Koppenberg (road race geometry with a nod to the bigger more powerful riders). While the black one is the Old “Classics” geometry, made for the rigors of Paris Roubaix specifically, the only race where Cancellara actually used this bike. The rest, including the Grand Tours, were on the Koppenberg. The “Classics” geo was made for going fast in a straight line over boulders (Paris Roubaix). It is the same as the current “Pro Endurance” geometry which would have to be a special order through Project One Domane. Funnily enough, neither of these geometries bears too much resemblance to a standard Domane off the showroom floor.

If the Koppenberg shown above for sale is in good shape, and it appears to be from the photos, that is a very good price for that as a complete bike. It will sell, you just need to find someone who knows what it is and what they want. If I knew someone in the market for something similar, I’d buy it myself, tell them to give me the money when it arrives and to thank me later. GLWS.

Last edited by Calnago; 04-28-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:49 PM

I’d still like to buy the frameset if you’re interested.