Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
Out of curiosity is his queue open, and what would be the wait?
No idea, but I think it is safe to expect 8 months. Minimum wait would be 5-6 months.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburger View Post
No idea, but I think it is safe to expect 8 months. Minimum wait would be 5-6 months.
My wait is currently at 11 months. In late Jan. Steve informed me that there were 7 frames ahead of mine (no idea how long 7 frames take). He has done a lot of S&S, Rohloff, highly custom bikes recently and commented that they take FAR longer than a std road or 29er. Anyway, I love the anticipation and lusting over tburger's pics.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the info.

Btw great Mtbr thread, tburger.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 AM

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I'm approaching 1 full year with the bike, and I'm trying my hardest to hit the 1,000 mile mark by the end of the month.

I have heard he's busier than ever. It's totally worth the wait, though!

donevwil, what are you getting?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, guys! I'm approaching 1 full year with the bike, and I'm trying my hardest to hit the 1,000 mile mark by the end of the month.

I have heard he's busier than ever. It's totally worth the wait, though!

donevwil, what are you getting?
A road bike with clearance for 32s and fenders, Type II fork, S&S couplers & post mount Paul Racer Ms. Decided on the two-tone Type II after seeing yours at NAHBS Sacto.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
A road bike with clearance for 32s and fenders, Type II fork, S&S couplers & post mount Paul Racer Ms. Decided on the two-tone Type II after seeing yours at NAHBS Sacto.
Oh, heck yeah!

Those are my other favorite Potts bikes! If only I had the money. The 'monster cross' bike at the Denver NAHBS looked really sweet. I wish there were more pics of that one floating around. I love the Type II forks in two-tone paint. If only I could have upgraded to Joe Bell paint...
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 AM

Phoenix

I have a 1995 Steve Potts built WTB phoenix and cannot say enough positive things about the bike or builder. Welds are of course top notch, frame construction impeccable, but what really stands out it the timeless feel of the bike. It just disappears underneath you and flows down the trail. Of the many bikes I own it is hands down my favorite....although I am saving to plunk down on a custom Potts 650b....

:thumbsup: to a great builder and great guy!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reforminded View Post
I have a 1995 Steve Potts built WTB phoenix and cannot say enough positive things about the bike or builder. Welds are of course top notch, frame construction impeccable, but what really stands out it the timeless feel of the bike. It just disappears underneath you and flows down the trail. Of the many bikes I own it is hands down my favorite....although I am saving to plunk down on a custom Potts 650b....

:thumbsup: to a great builder and great guy!
Reforminded, pics man, pics !
Old 03-15-2013, 12:44 PM

Phoenix

The Phoenix is the best 26" bike i've ridden, I just traded this one. I'd love to see photos of yours Reforminded.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 PM

Potts x 2

Just back from NAHBS via Point Reyes. Steve showed my bike with its Type 2 fork and some weird saddle, getting the fork re-painted because it didn't quite match the frame. But in the meantime it still looks pretty good with the Alpha Q on it now.

The 29er is about 18 months old, this photo is just after it was built. As everyone says Steve is the absolute best to work with. A complete gentleman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steve Potts Rough Road 1a.jpg (110.6 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg Steve Potts Rough Road 2a.jpg (105.0 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg Steve Potts 29er.jpg (120.7 KB, 405 views)
Old 03-15-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA View Post
Steve showed my bike with its Type 2 fork and some weird saddle
Oh sorry, there is surely a bit of my drool on your CX bike. This is the one that I mentioned gave me cause for doubt as to whether I made the right choice when I chose another builder over Steve. This bike is stunning! Plus, it would have fit me.

What was up with that saddle?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reforminded View Post
I have a 1995 Steve Potts built WTB phoenix ...
Yes! Pics, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Lee View Post
The Phoenix is the best 26" bike i've ridden, I just traded this one. I'd love to see photos of yours Reforminded.
What a great looking bike! During one of the first rides on my Potts, I descended Eldridge Grade, and I was riding past Phoenix Lake when a guy came cruising by on a bright yellow Phoenix. It was really neat to think that Steve built both of our bikes a generation apart.

Quote:
Just back from NAHBS via Point Reyes. Steve showed my bike with its Type 2 fork and some weird saddle, getting the fork re-painted because it didn't quite match the frame. But in the meantime it still looks pretty good with the Alpha Q on it now.

The 29er is about 18 months old, this photo is just after it was built. As everyone says Steve is the absolute best to work with. A complete gentleman.
Wow. I have a love/hate thing going for you right now.

Congrats on the new bike! The fork color looked good to me in BMC's photos. I'm guessing you wanted a darker grey for the legs?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Oh sorry, there is surely a bit of my drool on your CX bike. This is the one that I mentioned gave me cause for doubt as to whether I made the right choice when I chose another builder over Steve. This bike is stunning! Plus, it would have fit me.

What was up with that saddle?
Thanks, yeah I'm not sure where Steve got that saddle from, I didn't send my old Aliante in time for the show.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:

Congrats on the new bike! The fork color looked good to me in BMC's photos. I'm guessing you wanted a darker grey for the legs?

Cheers. In person the fork came out much too light, titanium is really hard to match. I'm probably going to see if I can get Joe Bell to match the frame.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:

That bike is outstanding.