Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Steve Potts ti mtb is on my list....
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one60 View Post
Can you tell us about the chainstay in the photo of the bike with the YBB-type shock? Is that a template/guide you created? Or are you experimenting with a flexible chainstay design? It appears that the seatstays are welded to the dropout hoods. Curious about this to say the least.
http://ibiscycles.consumedesign.com/...ti/technology/
Old 01-26-2013, 01:08 PM

thanks...very cool...

I've been thinking about adding a rigid ss mtb...now I need to do some research
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
without a doubt, one of my favorite bikes on the forum pictured below. Belonging to one member of this forum who i genuinely admire.

This. Is unbelievable.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 AM

Very cool to find this Potts thread! And it's quite an impressive collection of pics for all the builders in the Builder Spotlights

I just had to join and chime in because I'm the owner of this bike. I've had the bike for almost a full year now, and I'm just shy of 1,000 miles on it. Never really get tired of riding it, or looking at it!

Thanks for compiling all these pics! Cheers!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 AM

nice!

could you tell us a bit about the ride of the Cunningham fork? I've ridden some rigid mtb & loved it. I hear these are the best. Curious about your experience.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Administrator

When I was putting the Steve Potts Spotlight together that was one of the bikes that really caught my eye. I really prefer a fully rigid mtb and I would like to hear your thoughts on this one after spending some time on it.

William
Old 03-08-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one60 View Post
could you tell us a bit about the ride of the Cunningham fork? I've ridden some rigid mtb & loved it. I hear these are the best. Curious about your experience.
I'm not sure I can really give a good evaluation with respect to other rigid 29er forks. My only point of reference is a Salsa CroMoto for a 26in wheel mtb, and it definitely rides smoother than that fork. But that could be due to the larger wheel. Is it any better than say, a Waltworks 29er fork? Or a Sycip, or a Hunter, or even a brand name 29er fork? As far as the ride goes, probably not by much. BUT, it truly is one of the most beautiful steel forks I have ever seen. And if you ever get a chance to see how much work Steve puts into these forks, you will really appreciate the quality of the craftsmanship. I can ride this bike all day, but really rough terrain is not enjoyable, and arm fatigue will set in. Make no mistake about it, no matter how smooth everyone says this fork is, it's still RIGID. And strong. I've dropped off 2-3 ft. ledges without any issues, but it's not pleasant. And even though the bike and the fork can handle rough downhills, hitting them at speed is tough for me. Same goes for long, sustained, rough downhills. But that's just me. I've ridden with people who can bomb down rough terrain on crossbikes without any problem. I just take it slow and make my friends wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
When I was putting the Steve Potts Spotlight together that was one of the bikes that really caught my eye. I really prefer a fully rigid mtb and I would like to hear your thoughts on this one after spending some time on it.

William
Thanks William! One of the hardest decisions was whether or not to go with rigid specific geometry. I don't regret it one bit. I will always have other bikes with suspension. IMHO, the Potts just needs to be rigid with the Type II fork.

The frame is stiff, and it's really hard for me to notice any flex. It's not only a compact frame, but I'm also pretty light. At the same time, it seems just compliant enough. Geometry is nothing special. Just standard tried and true angles for XC riding. No super short chainstays or anything. It fits me like a glove, so I'm very centered and balanced on the bike. Like I mentioned above, the only thing I can't do on this bike is bomb down rough downhills.
I've been doing some longer rides lately with a little more pavement mixed in, so I put on some skinnier tires (Vee Rubber V8). It really livened up the ride quite a bit, but I do miss the knobbies up front when I'm on the dirt.

I did start a thread on mtbr (I'm a regular there) and I've tried to post relevant updates there. But I'm happy to contribute here, too!

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/mo...ts-757641.html

You can also view my bike build album here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...22985001053585
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0998.jpg (81.7 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0808.jpg (63.8 KB, 399 views)
Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 PM
the caboose

Lovely lovely

Lovely bike, congrats! And sweeet colour-way on the fork. I think so too - the fork really sets off a potts frame. Gosh I want one.

(An mtb aside - If you want to go back to wide rubber, I run a P35 29er rim with a tubeless Maxxis Ardent down around 15psi and it sure is comfy under a rigid fork, over rocky terrain. )

Anybody want to deliver a Potts to me in Australia? Ha. But seriously, I'll pay the equivalent of postage. I'm tossing up between that and going local with a Llewellyn.

Love these Potts!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:59 AM

The type II is an amazing fork! Like tburger says, it's stiffer than other forks out there but it performs extremely well while braking and it resonates significantly less after hits than any other fork I've ridden. I've been riding one off and on for 24 years and have no complaints.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburger View Post
....Thanks William! One of the hardest decisions was whether or not to go with rigid specific geometry. I don't regret it one bit. I will always have other bikes with suspension. IMHO, the Potts just needs to be rigid with the Type II fork.

The frame is stiff, and it's really hard for me to notice any flex. It's not only a compact frame, but I'm also pretty light. At the same time, it seems just compliant enough. Geometry is nothing special. Just standard tried and true angles for XC riding. No super short chainstays or anything. It fits me like a glove, so I'm very centered and balanced on the bike. Like I mentioned above, the only thing I can't do on this bike is bomb down rough downhills.
I've been doing some longer rides lately with a little more pavement mixed in, so I put on some skinnier tires (Vee Rubber V8). It really livened up the ride quite a bit, but I do miss the knobbies up front when I'm on the dirt.

I did start a thread on mtbr (I'm a regular there) and I've tried to post relevant updates there. But I'm happy to contribute here, too!

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/mo...ts-757641.html

You can also view my bike build album here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...22985001053585
Very nice! Thank you for sharing! It looks like you changed out the bars, what are you running in that picture?

William
Old 03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51mondays View Post
Lovely bike, congrats! And sweeet colour-way on the fork. I think so too - the fork really sets off a potts frame. Gosh I want one.

(An mtb aside - If you want to go back to wide rubber, I run a P35 29er rim with a tubeless Maxxis Ardent down around 15psi and it sure is comfy under a rigid fork, over rocky terrain. )

Anybody want to deliver a Potts to me in Australia? Ha. But seriously, I'll pay the equivalent of postage. I'm tossing up between that and going local with a Llewellyn.

Love these Potts!!!
I don't think you could go wrong either way, though I'm sure there aren't too many Steve Potts frame rolling around in Australia. A little exclusivity never hurts.

William
Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 PM

runner-up

A Potts was my runner-up for a disc CX bike. I had several builders in mind and ended up just rolling the dice (OK, not quite, but basically just making up my mind) and had another builder do it for me.

I was at NAHBS this year and when i went by and saw the Potts booth, they are really, I mean REALLY, stunning in person. They are just so simple and stripped down of ornament - no curves, no flourishes - just pure industrial beauty.

I had a TINY moment of buyer's remorse on my decision, but I got over it very quickly. Nevertheless, if I was a rich man, Potts would build me a 29er.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 PM

Out of curiosity is his queue open, and what would be the wait?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Very nice! Thank you for sharing! It looks like you changed out the bars, what are you running in that picture?

William
They are the Jeff Jones Ti Loop H-bars. At the time of my build, I did not realize Potts was making handlebars again, so I had planned on building the bike up with the loop bars. They are really great for long rides, especially on a rigid bike. The bars, seatpost, and stem were swapped out for the bike show so that it would have a cleaner look.