Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 05-22-2019, 05:16 PM

Awesome stuff, as always.

I'm a sucker for panels.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:34 PM

That will be my new bike when I receive it. I started talking with Dave in the first week of January and told him I wanted a bike that could fit 32 mm tires, would be used 95% on the road and be able to fit fenders when I need them in the PNW. Lugged steel frame was what I wanted and Dave suggested his JKS model. Like everyone here has mentioned Dave was a dream to work with. Build up will take a few weeks but I will post when completed.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob heinatz View Post
That will be my new bike when I receive it. I started talking with Dave in the first week of January and told him I wanted a bike that could fit 32 mm tires, would be used 95% on the road and be able to fit fenders when I need them in the PNW. Lugged steel frame was what I wanted and Dave suggested his JKS model. Like everyone here has mentioned Dave was a dream to work with. Build up will take a few weeks but I will post when completed.
Congrats! Can't wait to see it all put together.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Congratulations Bob. The great part about it is that they ride as good as they look! Looking forward to full build pics.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2019, 11:21 AM

Question for the esteemed and always affable on PL, Mr. Kirk. I've noticed in admiring your work that you (seemingly) have a go-to fork crown for steel forks almost to the exclusion of all other crowns. Personally, it is not my favorite crown aesthetically, but that's neither here nor there. As long as this crown affords the clearance desired, do you recommend your customers use this crown? If this is, indeed, your go-to crown, what makes it so?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Looks perfect Bob - now go put some Campy on it and get to riding!

Just kidding, but also - we need a DK meetup ride in the PNW..
Old 05-23-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Question for the esteemed and always affable on PL, Mr. Kirk. I've noticed in admiring your work that you (seemingly) have a go-to fork crown for steel forks almost to the exclusion of all other crowns. Personally, it is not my favorite crown aesthetically, but that's neither here nor there. As long as this crown affords the clearance desired, do you recommend your customers use this crown? If this is, indeed, your go-to crown, what makes it so?

Thanks!
Good question - I build more JK Specials than anything else and I use the same crown on the vast majority of them....in a way it is one of the many things that define the JKS. I like this crown for many reasons....some pragmatic and some more personal. Pragmatically speaking the quality is very good (I've never had to toss one - ever), the blades fit perfectly every time (not the norm even with some other 'good' crowns out there) and the steerer hole is bored to the proper size and the hole is straight. I wish a straight hole was the norm with crowns out there but it isn't.

The only time I build a JKS with a different crown is when I need something with lots of tire clearance. I have about 6 crowns that I use depending on the need but the most common one is what you see on a JKS.

When building one-offs or special projects I tend toward similar sloping crowns. They just look right to me and they have nice curves to show off Joe Bell's glossy paint.

Make sense?

dave
Old 05-23-2019, 03:44 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Congrats Bob!

I really should stay off this thread, I'm not good with temptation.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
[snip] I like this crown for many reasons....some pragmatic and some more personal. [snip] They just look right to me and they have nice curves to show off Joe Bell's glossy paint.

Make sense?

dave
I'd assumed there was a tie-in with the crowns on Serotta's (CSi and others), which look very similar to my untrained eye.. In any event, I really like the choice and have a hard time seeing a box-crown looking right, or any other really (segmented, etc.). To me the sloping crown reflects and/or matches the clean and purposeful lines of the Triple-F dropouts. It's in perfect harmony with the Terraplane stays too - to my eyes anyway.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:04 PM

I agree with Clean. The parts all share the same purposeful uncluttered and attractive aesthetic. Different fork on my Luigino, but then that fork goes well with that bike.

IMG_4998.jpg
Old 05-23-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Make sense?

dave
Yessir. Well communicated as usual. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:54 AM

A stainless filleted Onesto with curved Terraplane seat stays. Not a bad day for a ride.

dave

Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 AM

Wow... like a porsche. Beautiful lines and looks ready to go.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:27 PM

Beautiful and purposeful build - would love to see the fork too
Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 AM

Inky black pulled over curvy fillets.

dave