Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2019, 07:38 AM

WaveCel helmet - first impression

Well, I used my REI dividend, along with the 20% sale, to get a Bontrager Spector helmet. I ordered it online in a size medium, same as I always get in a Giro. I have ridden Giros ever since the initial Prolight. They just seem to fit best.

Anyway, out of the box you can feel it weighs more. But, once on my head I can't say I noticed it. The buckle is interesting, it uses a locating pin and magnet arrangement that seems goofy at first but works fine once you get used to it.

As others have said, the WaveCel material is very stiff. While I could not feel it on my head, I really do think it could cut into your scalp upon impact, especially if you lack hair on top, as I do. Also, the WaveCel material stops about an inch or so above the bottom of the helmet. I wonder what happens if you hit your head anywhere other than the top? My guess is the new material does little good then. It would be interesting to see where the most common point of impact is during bike crashes.

I played with a fan to see how much air I could feel and swapped back and forth with my Giro Synthe. The Giro seemed better but not by a huge amount. Not a real hot weather test but you work with what you have.

Unfortunately, the helmet seemed to put two pressure points on the front of my head as soon as I turned the BOA knob. Not terrible but I know that, over time, it would be a problem. Giros fit my head perfectly so I took the Bontrager back to REI. I didn't bother riding it as I knew the fit was not right and wanted it to be in pristine condition for the return.

All in all, seems like a nice design and the build quality is good. As usual, fit will tell if it works for you.

Tim