Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 07:42 PM

Routes Near Caroga, NY?

Folks,

We'd originally planned a group outing to Vermont earlier this year, but those plans changed when another friend offered up his fishing camp on Canada Lake in Caroga, NY in early September.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/43...!4d-74.5102245

Interested in any local rides anyone cares to share. The friend with the camp has described the riding as "mostly road, with snowmobile trails more suitable to mountain bikes than cross/gravel bikes".

As a proud underbiker, I'm willing to give those trails a shot!

For those with local knowledge, what's out there (road or MTB or inbetween)?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2019, 09:12 PM

Talk to Hilltopperny. He’s right around there. We went for a shortish ride and hit lots of primo gravel that was ideal for a fat tire roadie.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:46 AM

I can't speak directly to the Caroga Lake area, but there are many paved and gravel road routes to the east in the Great Sacandaga Lake area. The key to riding in that area is to stay off the main state roads. The main roads have wide shoulders, but faster traffic to deal with. NY29 in that area is in terrible shape with many areas of the shoulder nearly unrideable.

You can ride around the larger, western part of Great Sacandaga Lake with very little of the time on NY30 or the South Shore Road. Another option from Caroga Lake would be CR112/125 to the intersection with NY30 north of Northville. A short ride south on NY30 to the Northville bridge area would allow you to transition to riding along the lake through Sacandaga Park before taking Mountain Road and other secondary roads to Gloversville. From Gloversville, you can climb 309 to Bleecker, then CR112 back to Caroga Lake. I would also suggest checking Strava Heat Maps and Google Maps Street view to help with your road choices.

Greg
Old 08-22-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I can't speak directly to the Caroga Lake area, but there are many paved and gravel road routes to the east in the Great Sacandaga Lake area. The key to riding in that area is to stay off the main state roads. The main roads have wide shoulders, but faster traffic to deal with. NY29 in that area is in terrible shape with many areas of the shoulder nearly unrideable.

You can ride around the larger, western part of Great Sacandaga Lake with very little of the time on NY30 or the South Shore Road. Another option from Caroga Lake would be CR112/125 to the intersection with NY30 north of Northville. A short ride south on NY30 to the Northville bridge area would allow you to transition to riding along the lake through Sacandaga Park before taking Mountain Road and other secondary roads to Gloversville. From Gloversville, you can climb 309 to Bleecker, then CR112 back to Caroga Lake. I would also suggest checking Strava Heat Maps and Google Maps Street view to help with your road choices.

Greg
From Gloversville you should head over to Johnstown and tour No.22's factory.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
From Gloversville you should head over to Johnstown and tour No.22's factory.
I've thought about calling them and asking if I could visit. So far, I've decided not to do so since I would be too tempted to leave them a deposit on a new frame! Love their bikes.

Greg
Old 08-23-2019, 08:20 PM

Nice

Excellent feedback all. I will look for gravel around Lake Sacandaga. There was some talk about just looping the lake, but if we can work in some low/no traffic gravel, all the better.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:37 PM

I admit that I've never ridden these roads, but I'd give this a try: Route 10 (appears to have a decent shoulder) north for 18.5 miles, left on Powley-Piseco Rd (dirt road, I don't know the condition) for 18.7 miles, stop at the general store in Stratford, then east on Route 29A for 9 miles, right on Route 10 for two miles back to start. A little over 48 miles in all.

http://www.44lakes.com/things-to-do/...y-piseco-road/