Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 04:10 PM

just got a call from "social security"...

HOLY POOP!!!!! I just got a call from Social Security! I'd better call them right back and give em all my info so they can confirm that my SSN doesn't get "suspended"... Maybe I should also give them all my banking information while I'm at it...
Old 08-20-2019, 04:14 PM

this stuff sucks. I am currently dealing with an elderly father who seems to have fallen not for this scam, but for some others. Ive been on the phone all day. For folks in their twilight, this stuff is truly confusing and the folks who carry out these crimes are the lowest of the low. This is real, not all of the victims are stupid, some are senile, demented, alzheimers, or just naively trusting. its a shame we cant do more to stop this.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Steel..what else??

Basically you can't answer the phone anymore.
Unless you really know the number, wait for them to send you a letter.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
this stuff sucks. I am currently dealing with an elderly father who seems to have fallen not for this scam, but for some others. Ive been on the phone all day. For folks in their twilight, this stuff is truly confusing and the folks who carry out these crimes are the lowest of the low. This is real, not all of the victims are stupid, some are senile, demented, alzheimers, or just naively trusting. its a shame we cant do more to stop this.
This happened to my grandmother. She got tricked into taking a high interest loan and her car was used as collateral. When I found out I tried to pay the loan off and was jumping through hoops to figure out how to pay this loan off
Old 08-20-2019, 04:36 PM

Yup, we stopped answering the phone because we would get at least 5 calls a day of some sort of scam or another. ("is Louis there"). We live in a town known for having lots of retirees so sadly people are out there taking advantage of the elderly.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:38 PM
I need you cool.

we don't answer the phone either....

I blame the phone companies for handing out phone numbers like crack....getting a phone number should be like opening a bank account...for a legitimate purpose only, and verified by the phone company, with criminal penalties for non compliance.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:41 PM

I've seen a ton of this over the last couple of years working the front desk at the dept.

The scumbags prey on peoples trust in particular agencies. Social Security, IRS, Police, etc. I had one lady about a month ago come in to lodge a complaint against one of our deputies after one such call. I figured that she had gotten scammed but as I was taking down the info it was confirmed when she got to the deputies name. I don't remember the particular name but it was a full on fake name. I told her that she'd been scammed and asked what info she gave the phone caller. I believe they got her ssn, address, and not bank account but bank. She told me that she was told NOT to contact us or she'd be arrested and taken to jail. I told her to head down to her bank asap and tell them what happened then to come back so she could finish filing a report. She was lucky in that she was able to get out in front of it before too much damage was done. I've seen a few that have gotten their accounts cleaned out though which is truly sad.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:41 PM

I get calls about health care and business loans several times a day.

I recently got my 11 year old a phone with her own number. Within a week a local car dealer called her about a repair. Then she got a health care call. No one has the number. How does this happen?
Old 08-20-2019, 04:43 PM

One other thing that I have seen a good amount of is the Nigerian Prince scam. The number of people that fall for this one is very big as well. I feel bad for these people but not as much as the first group due to the scam working off of some peoples basic greed.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:54 PM
slower than you

Please, relax. I'm set for life for doing that thing with the Nigerian prince with his money all locked up in some bank account. God bless the internet.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:58 PM
Administrator

I generally don't answer my phone if I don't recognize the number, leave a message if it's important. 99% of the time they don't.

There is a scam going around where they somehow get lists of college students and call them pretending to be from different student loan companies (which ever one they have borrowed money from) asking them questions and recording their voices. Then they call the parents and pretend the child is in some sort of trouble or accident and at some point in the call play child's voice in the background to convince the parents they are really there in whatever scenario the scammer has concocted. Parents who normally would not fall for scams have been caught in this particular one.

W.

Last edited by William; 08-20-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Waiting for call backs for service times: I recently answered the phone to hear a woman's recorded voice jump right in and say she was so and so from some sort of award distribution service, then immediately says; "Can you hear me okay..."?

Obviously they were looking for me to say "Yes" into the phone. I wonder what I would be signing up for had I actually responded? Oh well, maybe next time.

W.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:27 PM

William you just reminded me that we've gotten several of those loan calls! Haven't returned them but you've hit another nail on the head.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:17 PM

How to manage scammers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QdPW8JrYzQ
Old 08-20-2019, 06:35 PM

Michael Scott: You know what Toby, when the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?