Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2019, 06:04 PM
I need you cool.

OT - Rome, Italy - where to stay

Planning a trip to Italy with the family next year....landing in Rome for a few days before heading up to Tuscany, and then Venice.

We have 3 days in Rome before heading north, and I am looking for recommendations on hotels and/or neighborhoods in which to stay.

We plan on a tour of Vatican, and then walking around the usual sites (Pantheon, Coliseum, Forum, etc...), so I figure centrally located is good.

Budget is $300 - 600 per night....quality and location is more important than price.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:15 PM

Rome

We went a few years ago and stayed on the Vatican side of the river just off of the Via Cola di Rienzo. Loved it b/c it was where there seemed to be less touristy. Yet everything was very walkable from that area.

We used an agency called Italy Perfect (italyperfect.com) that was incredible. Think of it as an elevated airbnb where they have local handlers and maintenance people if anything goes wrong. Not sure they will have short term rentals but its definitely worth a look. We used them in Paris and Venice and have been very impressed with them as i have had major problems with airbnb and vrbo in the past.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:43 PM

I was in Rome in June and stayed at the Hotel Forum which was fantastic. Close to the forum and great restaurants. The rooftop bar is legendary.

The other hotel I stayed at was the Hotel Alexandra which was also fantastic but in a different part of the city.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:31 PM

Haven’t looked at prices in a while but Hotel D’Angletera is a winner. Small st off of main shopping st and very close to Spanish Steps
Old 08-19-2019, 08:35 PM

Stayed 3 years ago with my family at Hotel Isa. Near Castel St Angelo and Vatican. I was very happy with the hotel and location. Very nice rooftop lounge area for afternoon aperitivo time and a nice breakfast in the same rooftop area is included.

Walkable to Spanish Steps and that area. It’s a hike to the Forum, I think we took a city bus to and walked back from Forum/ Coliseum. We walk * a lot* on our family vacations.

Last edited by Spaghetti Legs; 08-19-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 PM
Embracing my

We stayed here in 2013, two nights prior to a cruise. It was walking distance from the Spanish Steps, the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain. Nice, low key place.

https://www.hotelmellini.com/
Old 08-19-2019, 08:43 PM

In Rome, look no further than Trestavere.

Bohemian vibe, very cool. A few English speaking tourists around, but nowhere near the touristy and gimmicky madness of the areas around the major attractions. Nice walk along the river to the centre of town for things like (I don't mind walking):

Palatine Hill
Vatican
Trevi Fountain
Colloseum
etc.

I spent 3 days there as well. That was plenty - it's a bit overrated. Was in 2015. Then took off to Tuscany for some riding and the Giro
Old 08-19-2019, 09:33 PM
Everything is connected

We stayed at this Rome hotel in April for several days and we had a great experience. Nice location on a side street, centrally located and very quiet.

https://www.hotelsancarloroma.com/en/index
Old 08-19-2019, 10:35 PM
n - 1

We stayed here last year. Just south of the Vatican. Convenient location. 3 bedrooms. When we went, it was $300/night. We went with 2 other couples so it came out really cheap. Kitchen and bathroom was small but pretty standard size in EU.

I Continenti-guest house
Via Alessandro III, 4, 00165 Roma RM, Italy
+39 347 154 1813
https://goo.gl/maps/MRSYy3rGfW7cxHcWA
Old 08-19-2019, 11:09 PM

I like the Luxe Rose Garden Hotel Roma. It's across the street from the US Embassy and within walking distance of many restaurants. I took my son there in 2014 and we walked most places including Piazza De Popoli, De Barbieri, Coliseum, Trevi, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, etc. One place we walked past a few times on Via Vittorio Veneto was the Chapel of the Cappuccini which is a creepy don't miss. Crypts decorated with human bones.

I was stationed in Sardinia so I'd take a weekend a month in Rome. Usually in some tourist hotel near Termini. BTW, taxis are a flat rate from the airport to just about anywhere in Rome. The Leonardo Express is a non-stop train from Roma Fiumicino to Termini in the center of Rome. Cheaper and more scenic than a taxi.