Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankum View Post
I don't know how anyone rides these at 80-90 PSI in the rear. Way too much bounce! I'm 165-169 pounds.
I routinely run 80-85 front, and 85-90 rear....and I'm 195lbs. Anything more feels like I'm jackhammering off the pavement
Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 AM

i run mine at 85-90 rear and 80-85 front. no bounce. but i am 140lbs, and i like my tires a bit softer than most.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankum View Post
I don't know how anyone rides these at 80-90 PSI in the rear. Way too much bounce! I'm 165-169 pounds.
?? I ride them 75-8F and 85-90R and weigh 175ish. What bounce? Are you pedalling smoothly?
Old 08-21-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
+/-2,000 miles rear and 5,000-5,500 miles on the front....I juice them with Orange Seal and I’ve not had any flats in the several years that I’ve used the Vlaanderen. I run 85psi rear and 80psi front.
Out of curiosity, how do you use Orange Seal when you first mount new tires? And how much to use? Would love a walkthrough of the process. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you use Orange Seal when you first mount new tires? And how much to use? Would love a walkthrough of the process. Thanks!
You just remove the tubular valve core and add the sealant...

Sealant can be added when you actually puncture, or before hand to seal when you do puncture. Like a MTB tire. You add the sealant before and when you flat, the sealant is supposed to do it's magic. Some people frown upon this method, as they feel (Never factually proven), the sealant in your tire gives you a weird ride, etc..

I like adding the sealant at the point of puncture..
Old 08-21-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
You just remove the tubular valve core and add the sealant...

Sealant can be added when you actually puncture, or before hand to seal when you do puncture. Like a MTB tire. You add the sealant before and when you flat, the sealant is supposed to do it's magic. Some people frown upon this method, as they feel (Never factually proven), the sealant in your tire gives you a weird ride, etc..

I like adding the sealant at the point of puncture..
Thanks. How long do Orange Seal last once in the tires? By lasting I mean they don't dry up and become ineffective, or worse, start doing weird things like clogging the valve. And is it true once they dry up, the tires are shot?
Old 08-21-2019, 04:44 PM

That's what I always feared, so I never put sealant in the tire before a puncture. I always feel like it will become a glob of sticky goo in your tire.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:08 PM

I dont either usually.

Paying top dollars for expenive tires and then filling them up with stuff even before you had a puncture just always felt wrong to me but its more effecient than afterwards..
Old 08-21-2019, 06:35 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
I wish that I had a scientific explanation for you, but I don't put the sealant in right away. In my case, about 500-750 miles in when the mini slices start to appear in the tread. I pull the core and install 2oz such as denapista explained and then roll it around a bit, pump and go. You can definitely tell the difference when the sealant is installed as the latex tubes lose much less air overnight.

If the tire sits for a while without use you can "gunk up" the valve, which then requires pulling and cleaning. I usually top off the sealant when I feel the need, which again has no scientific fact nor basis behind my action. All that I can tell you is that the sealant works.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
+/-2,000 miles rear and 5,000-5,500 miles on the front....I juice them with Orange Seal and I’ve not had any flats in the several years that I’ve used the Vlaanderen. I run 85psi rear and 80psi front.
Not sure where you live, but this is my reality...
Old 08-22-2019, 09:36 AM

Checking in

I've ridden tubulars x 24 years now and have no intention of ever riding clinchers. Also, Campy became my grouppo of choice about the same time. Record, baby! I have a 1995 Campy Athena front hub on Mavic that is still true and the Veloflex criterium tire is going on 14 years with original glue. I don't ride near as much after leaving UT (and goathead thorns) for the DC area. Still, only 2 flats in 15 years, both on Conti sprinters, what's not to love?
Old 08-22-2019, 09:51 AM

Must be nice to live somewhere where you can go 15 years with only 2 flats. I'm not being snarky. I'm jealous. I get 2 flats a month.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:24 AM

^(sub)urban legends
Old 08-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Steel..what else??

You don't get flat tires if you don't ride.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:35 AM

So MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
Must be nice to live somewhere where you can go 15 years with only 2 flats. I'm not being snarky. I'm jealous. I get 2 flats a month.
I'm pathetic...I usually ride up and down my street or on a bike path. 1 of the flats was more like a "pinch" flat for tubulars...I ride the concrete lip that led onto a bridge and popped that sucker right quick and I was lucky it was the rear. My one tire on a Shamal has a slow leak but it still works so why mess w/it.

Goathead thorn in UT use to give me fits as I rode a lot more back then. Pulling a well-adhered tubie off the rim in the hot sun was never fun, neither was the slow ride back home.