Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 05:51 AM

Caffeine for your hair???

Can someone help me understand this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2019, 06:00 AM

https://media.turkports.com/wwweeose...ffeineno_b.pdf

Results: Significant growth suppression was found in hair follicles treated with 5 µg/ml
testosterone. This was counteracted by caffeine in concentrations of 0.001% and 0.005%.
Moreover, caffeine alone led to a significant stimulation of hair follicle growth. These results were
confirmed immunohistochemically by Ki-67 staining.

Conclusions: Androgen-dependent growth inhibition of ex vivo hair follicles from patients
suffering from AGA was present in the human hair organ culture model, a constellation which
may serve for future studies to screen new substances against androgen-dependent hair loss.
Caffeine was identified as a stimulator of human hair growth in vitro; a fact which may have
important clinical impact in the management of AGA.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:16 AM
50 bpm

I've used Alpecin for a couple of years now (based on seeing their commercials on Eurosport!) and the results have been astounding. My thinning hair is thicker, and there is more of it. It really works.

My wife also had thinning hair and used the women's version of Dr. Wolff's shampoo, Plantur 39. Her results have been equally amazing.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I've used Alpecin for a couple of years now (based on seeing their commercials on Eurosport!) and the results have been astounding. My thinning hair is thicker, and there is more of it. It really works.

My wife also had thinning hair and used the women's version of Dr. Wolff's shampoo, Plantur 39. Her results have been equally amazing.
Ok, you have my attention. How long did it take before you noticed a difference? I'm guessing one bottle didn't do it... But I'm willing to give it a shot.

(Oh, and it's much less a vanity thing and a hope of having to use less suncreen or actually be able to have the breezes coming through my well-vented and sweat-managing helmet actually touch me vs getting blocked by the every-ride skullcap. Do I sound defensive? )

Last edited by teleguy57; 08-21-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:53 AM

Gotta start testing hair samples of team Katusha at the races now.

If this helps with grey hair then I'm all for it.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:57 AM

I've heard that argan oil is good for hair growth.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post

Hi, neighbor. Provided you're not compensated by Alpecin, I think you may have just sold me a bottle.

But. Caffeine. Does it keep you up if you wash your hair at night?
Old 08-21-2019, 08:13 AM

I use it, mostly because of their deal with Katusha.. I have gray hair, not noticing any untold growth, though my hair is thick, smells good. Works well as shampoo and available on Amazon prime..
Old 08-21-2019, 08:27 AM

Interesting stuff. I don’t think I will lose my hair but I wonder if it will make it thicker? Hmm. My wife has had a few years of annual hair loss that really pisses her off so maybe his is the ticket.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:32 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Ok, you have my attention. How long did it take before you noticed a difference? I'm guessing one bottle didn't do it... But I'm willing to give it a shot.

(Oh, and it's much less a vanity thing and a hope of having to use less suncreen or actually be able to have the breezes coming through my well-vented and sweat-managing helmet actually touch me vs getting blocked by the every-ride skullcap. Do I sound defensive? )
My wife began to notice it after a couple of months. That's when she began exploring if there was a woman's version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
Hi, neighbor. Provided you're not compensated by Alpecin, I think you may have just sold me a bottle.

But. Caffeine. Does it keep you up if you wash your hair at night?
No, but on the bottle it does warn competitive athletes that their hair might set off caffeine alarms. Seriously.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:42 AM

From the article cited above: This was counteracted by caffeine in concentrations of 0.001% and 0.005%.. Not sure what concentration units they are using (w/v?), but a tablet of No-Doz contains 200 mg of caffeine, or 0.001 moles. It seems like one could dissolve a tablet in some water and add it to your favorite shampoo, if you want to make some DIY Alpecin.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
From the article cited above: This was counteracted by caffeine in concentrations of 0.001% and 0.005%.. Not sure what concentration units they are using (w/v?), but a tablet of No-Doz contains 200 mg of caffeine, or 0.001 moles. It seems like one could dissolve a tablet in some water and add it to your favorite shampoo, if you want to make some DIY Alpecin.
I was already on this thought myself
Old 08-21-2019, 10:43 AM

I wonder if this only works with topical application, as opposed to ingestion.

I'm 64 and have a full head of hair and have been drinking copious amounts of coffee for decades.

BTW, their is a gene found in 25% of the population that allows them to easily metabolize caffeine. I have been to several academic conferences where the audience was asked to raise their hands if they can drink coffee all day and night. Each time, about one quarter of the audience raised their hands.

Just one more reason coffee should be recognized as a sacrament and a gift from God.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
I wonder if this only works with topical application, as opposed to ingestion.

I'm 64 and have a full head of hair and have been drinking copious amounts of coffee for decades.

BTW, their is a gene found in 25% of the population that allows them to easily metabolize caffeine. I have been to several academic conferences where the audience was asked to raise their hands if they can drink coffee all day and night. Each time, about one quarter of the audience raised their hands.

Just one more reason coffee should be recognized as a sacrament and a gift from God.
I am 31. I have a serious coffee addiction and have for at least a decade (I have been drinking it every morning for at least 16 years now). Unfortunately, I don't think that has helped my bald spot that started to develop 3 years ago
Old 08-21-2019, 12:48 PM

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8276951.html

Quote:
The makers of Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo must no longer advertise that the product can reduce hair loss after a watchdog ruled there was no adequate evidence to support the claim.

Ads for the product stated: "German engineering for your hair. Shampoo is too small a word for it. Alpecin provides caffeine to your hair, so it can actually help to reduce hair loss. Simply apply daily and leave on for 2 minutes ... to help the Caffeine Complex penetrate your hair and scalp."

A consultant trichologist complained that the claim that the shampoo could "help to reduce hair loss" was unsubstantiated.

This advertising ban doesn't mean that Alpecin doesn't reduce hair loss - just that this claim hasn't be adequately proven. This may be similar to how the US Health Department no longer actively advocates flossing to improve dental health. It's not because flossing doesn't help, its just that there haven't be adequate studies done to show its effectiveness.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/03/h...-cavities.html