Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
How many times have you gone down? It sounds like you either need a new sport, new skills, or need to call it quits like Clean39T and focus your attention off road.
Ah ha. Snarky and condesending ... good approach.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:20 AM

Anti-Lock Disc Brakes For Bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Already is disc..622mm rotor, rubber compound pads. Yup, the original anti lock brakes.

Have 'em on my Merckx.

https://yarchive.net/bike/delta_brake.html

A friend of mine had these brakes on his Guerciotti. I didn't know about the non-linearity of the brake, but noted there was a serious lack of clearance between the top of the tire and the underside of the brake.

Last edited by MikeD; 08-20-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Half of those lines are responsible for your adaptive rain-sensing dimmed ambient-lighting of the rear left shock absorber, whitout which life is not worth living.

If one absolutely lives in constant fear of a brake lockup, please just have the cable set up by an incompetent mechanic, or upgrade to Campagnolo Deltas.
What HE Said!!
Or, just a thought, learn to use your brakes..I have 'maybe' actually activated my ABS system on a car once or twice since I had a car with ABS(2000 New Beetle)...YMMV and all that..

It 'might' be some of gizmo that the marketeers march out, probably on the 'weigh a bunch', e bikes...but on 15 pound road bikes? Doubt it.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:47 AM

It's interesting how complex modern bicycles are-power sensors, power shifting, GPS, all synched up to smartphones, home computers, and the cloud.

Started riding at the age of 3, around the block, on my used rusty red fixie (child's tricycle, no brakes) in San Fransisco in 1967. Man, I still enjoy riding a fixie, but also have a modern 2012 Trek Domane that a fellow forum member sold me. Bikes have evolved so much, it's really great to enjoy all of the improvements. Better helmets, better shifting, smoother ride, and better brakes. I'm just trying to further the discussion of safety.

Lots of engineers, designers, and industry professionals regularly read and contribute to this forum. So, it's just possible that the companies that annually looking for a way to market their "improved" products are looking for the "next big thing in cycling".

Sure, they are all improvements are "next big things" to the companies, things evolve and change. Many new riders would be willing to pay an extra 10% to get antilock brakes. Over time these systems will become more integrated and lower priced. Sure, these brakes will be more complex, but we already have complex bikes.

While we may have all of the bicycles we will ever need, the next generation of cyclists is looking for something better. The safer the bicycle, the safer the rider.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:20 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wisconsin64 View Post
While we may have all of the bicycles we will ever need, the next generation of cyclists is looking for something better. The safer the bicycle, the safer the rider.
I'm a sceptic old fart because as cool as new technology per se is, some designs are brilliant because of their reduction to the necessary minimum.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wisconsin64 View Post

Sure, they are all improvements are "next big things" to the companies, things evolve and change. Many new riders would be willing to pay an extra 10% to get antilock brakes. Over time these systems will become more integrated and lower priced. Sure, these brakes will be more complex, but we already have complex bikes.
I'd see it more as marketing to the changing risk profile and tolerance for a stagnant and aging rider population. The pie ain't getting any bigger at this point, and those that are buying want less aggressive geometry and more tire volume to provide some balm for those aging joints.

ABS would just be another step on that path.

It's all about the MAMILs.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:45 AM

If I want ABS, fat tires, rider assist, suspension and traction control...I'll take a motorcycle.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:56 PM
PezTech

I like the idea of Anti-Lock on bikes.

But the gear...

Wheel speed sensors front and rear. (and mounting reinforcement on the frame/fork)
Transmission wires - front and rear.
Pumps - Front and rear
Control units - front and rear
Valves - Front and rear

(ALL of these parts would need to be made with multiple times tighter tolerance to handle the minute amount of traction available with bikes)

The computer with the processing speed to handle millisecond command and adjustment on the fly with MUCH greater modulation control (resolution) capability to handle the fraction of total traction.

Maybe for Ebikes, but this is pounds of kit and a big pile of $.