Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 06:18 PM

Dr. Chop Shop Review (BAD EXPERIENCE!)

Hello all. Wanted to give some feedback and share my negative experience on a company that many of you have heard of but would imagine that most of you have not. My purpose here is not to slam this company, but rather share my experience with as much information and facts as possible for others to make their own judgement. If you or someone you know is thinking about doing a project as I did, I would hope my story will help give some feedback and hopefully help make a decision to either proceed with this company or look elsewhere.

The company:
“Dr. Chop Shop”
-Specializes in custom painted/airbrused glasses. Mainly Oakley, but also gets creative with watches and guns.
-He is based out of California and has world wide business. This is how I was exposed to his company. An Instagram friend in Europe had sent a couple pair of Oakley’s to be painted. His experience was much better than mine but still complained about the lack of communication.

My story:
I have to admit that I only have myself to kick in the butt here because I used him 3 years ago on a pair of Oakley Radar’s. While the final product was good, the overall experience was not. Very poor communication and the time frame to get the finished product back too much longer than he advertised. Yet, I’m here writing a review about my second poor experience.

Back in September I purchased a set of 100% speedcrafts (White and orange) with the plan to find a way to have the orange parts painted white to match, which would give me an all white pair (Since they did not offer an all white pair when I purchased). I couldn’t find anyone local, but really wanted to get this done. Reached out to Josh (Who is dr. chop) and he said it would be no problem.

When I made my purchase, his home page said that projects can take anywhere from 30-90 days. Weather (Cold or too hot) can cause issues with the paint. This is a solo run company. He is the artist and the only worker from start to finish. He is also his own admin so the more emails he gets, the less time he spends working on project. Makes sense and I totally get it. Figured that I wasn’t in a massive hurry, so even if it took the full 90 days, I would be ok with that.
Actual photo of my payment (Sent Sept 11th)

Fast forward to December 1st (81 days from the time I had paid and sent my item). Every year he works on “Black baggers projects”, which is a fun way for him to create special custom glasses and auction them off through Xmas. During this time all other projects COMPLETELY stop so he can focus on this. At this point, I’m getting anxious, but still trying to be understanding. Holding off from sending a request for a status because I know he gets overwhelmed with replying to emails.

He then posts shortly after Xmas that he will be taking a 2 week vacation to spend with his family. I’m kinda thinking *** at this point since that automatically throws me close to the 4 month mark IF my glasses are even close to the front of his line up when he returns, BUT everyone deserves a vacation right? So I keep telling myself to just have some patience and I’ll see a photo of them pop up on his FB page as completed soon enough (That’s his way of letting you know they are done).

Well January 22nd comes around and I still hadn’t heard or seen anything. Starting to lose my patience. He replies January 23rd that he had a broken compressor part that would be coming in and would have them completed 10-14 days! YES, Ok then at least I see some light at the tunnel right? WRONG!!!! Between Feb 15th and March 10th, I wrote him 3 times to ask what the status was, reminding him that he told me they would be done within 10-14 days. No reply.

Wrote him again March 13th and told him that I was getting frustrated and hoping to see some sort of progress as well as get a reply telling me the status. That night he sends me a Paypal message that my item has been completed and shipped. I now have tracking for a pre shipping label and USPS is awaiting the item. Tracking still (As of 5:05 March 23rd, 2018) shows that it is awaiting item to be dropped off at facility, which means there has been no movement.

Fast forward to today March 23rd, 2018. 193 days, which is essentially 6.5 months since I have paid and sent my item in!!!!! I wrote him and requested another ETA with a note asking for clarity. He says on his page that you will know your item is completed once you see the image of it posted on his FB page. There is no image of my item, yet I already have a pre shipping label? He also states that NO ORDERS will be shipped out via USPS due to a history of errors so all US shipments will be sent via FedEx. Oddly enough, the tracking provided from him is from USPS. I have not heard back from him as of yet (He mentions a 24-72 hours window to reply to status inquiries) and obviously do not have item in hand.

My blood is boiling. I’m tired of waiting. I feel I have been very patient and tried my best to communicate only when necessary. I will never use Dr.chop shop again and will communicate my negative experience with as many people and on as many platforms as possible.

I will update this thread with any activity as well as when I finally get the item in my hand (If I ever do)

Last edited by bianchi10; 03-23-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:41 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Same thing happened to me with a pair of jawbreakers.
I ended up getting them but the estimated time was way off. Not a big deal, but for the money it should be quicker than this.

I paid on 3/4/16 and received my glasses 11/14/16.

Last edited by kppolich; 03-23-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Same thing happened to me with a pair of jawbreakers.
I ended up getting them but the estimated time was way off. Not a big deal, but for the money it should be quicker than this.

I paid on 3/4/16 and received my glasses 11/14/16.
Yeah. I just kick myself for going through this all over again, even though I had a not so great experience the first time around. This time around has been MUCH worse though. Hasn't even been a lack of communication, its been NO communication. And having trouble sorting out why I have a pre shipping label with no sign of my item even being completed, yet the tracking shows no change in 10 days.

Last edited by bianchi10; 03-23-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:32 AM

Well that is a tough one. In normal circumstances, filing a Paypal dispute would be the way to go, but in your case, you would get your $70 back but he would still have your glasses hostage. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2018, 08:42 AM

Compressor failed?? Airbrush compressor? the dude should have had at least one back up or go to harbor freight to get one meanwhile...
Old 03-24-2018, 08:54 AM

I'm not saying that this is what's happened in your case but is something that I've seen with other small shops that deal in customized things.

It sounds like he's taking in orders and payment then using that money to pay for other's projects. He get's behind and robs Peter to work on Paul's stuff. The "I'm an artist" deal only works for so long.

I had a friend that was one of the best Winchester restoration gunsmiths in the nation. He was GREAT at what he did but his business sense and such p***ed off so many clients that the ATF actually shut him down and he lost not only his business but also license to operate any related business.

I hope you get your glasses back and thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about sending a pair of FlakJackets to him.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Well that is a tough one. In normal circumstances, filing a Paypal dispute would be the way to go, but in your case, you would get your $70 back but he would still have your glasses hostage. Good luck!
Thanks! I hope to see them soon too. I've even gotten to the point where I've considered asking him to refund my money and send me the glasses back, just for point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Compressor failed?? Airbrush compressor? the dude should have had at least one back up or go to harbor freight to get one meanwhile...
Right? I mean, if it is your skill set that is paying your bills and keeping food on the table, wouldn't you have a backup/plan B AND wouldn't you have an environment that would allow you to continue working on those days where cold or hot weather could effect production?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
I'm not saying that this is what's happened in your case but is something that I've seen with other small shops that deal in customized things.

It sounds like he's taking in orders and payment then using that money to pay for other's projects. He get's behind and robs Peter to work on Paul's stuff. The "I'm an artist" deal only works for so long.

I had a friend that was one of the best Winchester restoration gunsmiths in the nation. He was GREAT at what he did but his business sense and such p***ed off so many clients that the ATF actually shut him down and he lost not only his business but also license to operate any related business.

I hope you get your glasses back and thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about sending a pair of FlakJackets to him.
Yeah I don't know what is going on with him. If I recall, he has mentioned that his business will be going in another direction. He has some bigger things on the table and finishing up what he had come in. Not sure if that has effected his passion to keep the projects flying out? So interesting to see his FB page when he makes posts about "sorry guys, not going to be able to do anything for the next couple weeks". People respond with "Youre the best, you deserve a break!". Its like people are walking on eggshells and hope that maybe if they say something nice, it will help get their project done faster. I cant imagine how many other people are sitting here wondering where their glasses are also.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:29 AM

One the things that chaps me more than anything is that 6.5 months later....100% now offers an all white frame!!

Last edited by bianchi10; 03-24-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:37 AM

Have to confess, I did not know getting sunglasses (?) painted was a “thing” ...
Old 03-24-2018, 09:51 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
Have to confess, I did not know getting sunglasses (?) painted was a “thing” ...
Me neither. Then again, i went out to a few bars last night with some people. I was the only one that never got carded. Too old to be cool I guess.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
Majority of people don't. I like having one off things and it's not very expensive to get it done. Just have to find the right company/person to do it with quality and time frame to get it done. Its like getting a frame custom painted. Most people don't consider getting their bike custom painted, but there are a lot of folks who do.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:02 AM

Whoa, just reading his introductory page of Read Before You Buy would have stopped me in my tracks from dealing with this guy.
Good luck Bianchi.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
Whoa, just reading his introductory page of Read Before You Buy would have stopped me in my tracks from dealing with this guy.
Good luck Bianchi.
+1

"All custom jobs will now have NO estimated time for completion. They will be done when they are done."
Old 03-24-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
+1

"All custom jobs will now have NO estimated time for completion. They will be done when they are done."
Yeah, he changed that about a month ago. Used to say 30-90 days.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:38 PM

Who knows what's going on there behind the scenes with the dude.

Tags
caveat emptor, i am confused, vanity project