Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 10:11 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
You want to post some citations for that? She was working at a pizza place in Tucson and finding time to climb Mt. Lemmon this winter.
She had some support from Specialized for the Trans Am but it was mostly just a bike. She is extremely frugal. Double Tour Divide was done on a shoe string.

Bitter and jealous is a bad look.

Sigh.

I'm enjoying life, not bitter. But, really, riding my bike every single day, regardless of weather or other obligations? C'mon. But, I've encountered this thing in this forum before. There may be some who do just that, and sacrifice the rest of a normal life for it. You know, friends, to start.
And this pizza joint thing. Really? In Arizona? Isn't that a little far from Alaska? And, if it's anything like skiing, the "sponsorship" is probably just a free bike, which don't pay the damn rent. And food. Lord, her calorie intake must be massive. Lots of food.

I admire a well balanced life. Make friends, they're much more valuable than anything else.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 AM

Mr. Pink, you obviously have little clue of what you're talking about.

I've been following her story for a couple years.

She and her partner travel the globe, get to a location, she gets a job (or two), saves up and plans the next destination.

She has a network of friends all over the world. She's remarked that's one of the most rewarding aspects of her lifestyle.

To quote Ron Burgundy, she's "Kind of a big deal"

Last edited by Marc40a; 03-23-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 AM

Wow. Just wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Sigh.

I'm enjoying life, not bitter. But, really, riding my bike every single day, regardless of weather or other obligations? C'mon. But, I've encountered this thing in this forum before. There may be some who do just that, and sacrifice the rest of a normal life for it. You know, friends, to start.
And this pizza joint thing. Really? In Arizona? Isn't that a little far from Alaska? And, if it's anything like skiing, the "sponsorship" is probably just a free bike, which don't pay the damn rent. And food. Lord, her calorie intake must be massive. Lots of food.

I admire a well balanced life. Make friends, they're much more valuable than anything else.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:36 AM

It's her life and she seems happy with the way she has chosen to lead it. Isn't that what we all want?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:38 AM
slower than you

Then somebody's fibbing about the 20,000. Just not possible with a life sustaining job.

It's ok, I see this all the time in the ski world I live in most winters. Some people want you to believe that they need to work, or, basically, are just like you. But, they arent. But, that's cool. Just don't try to tell me otherwise.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post
Mr. Pink, you obviously have little clue of what you're talking about.

I've been following her story for a couple years.

She and her partner travel the globe, get to a location, she gets a job (or two), saves up and plans the next destination.

She has a network of friends all over the world. She's remarked that's one of the most rewarding aspects of her lifestyle.

To quote anchorman, she's "Kind of a big deal"
This. Nicholas is not her partner anymore but she stays with friends. There is actually a small group of bike people who were/are in Tucson working and living frugally to do what they love.

Lael is a badass with a lot of friends.

And Christ, why would she lie? This is pathetic. We all watched her Spot for many of these epics. She didn't even tell anyone she headed up for a second TD - she just did it with no publicity.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Then somebody's fibbing about the 20,000. Just not possible with a life sustaining job.

It's ok, I see this all the time in the ski world I live in most winters. Some people want you to believe that they need to work, or, basically, are just like you. But, they arent. But, that's cool. Just don't try to tell me otherwise.
Keep guessing, dude.

Though, I do admire your skepticism. Seriously... the world needs more of it.

I'm pretty sure she's the real deal, though.

Last edited by Marc40a; 03-23-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:47 AM
tailgunning

i know of at least one person (good cat 1) who put in close to 20,000 miles a year and works a full time job, so i don't know why it's so outlandish to believe that she could do the same in a climate that supports year-round riding.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:52 AM

Here's a great interview/podcast from a couple years ago. Fantastic listen. It's hard not to love her.

https://player.fm/series/outdoor-exp...th-lael-wilcox
Old 03-23-2018, 10:59 AM

Considering this guy did manage almost 4x the distance in a year i dont see this as even close to "impossible" with a job. Its about prioroties and interest as most else in life.
https://www.bicycling.com/rides/peop...mileage-record

Heck one could ride that distance almost on the work alone if you are courier (tho youd have to get some crappy jobs .) )
Old 03-23-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:

I rode 15,000 and a few dollars one year and if had not sustained an injury, would have been close to 20k miles.

Last edited by ripvanrando; 03-23-2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: decided to remove my actual income.....pink pissed me off
Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
i know of at least one person (good cat 1) who put in close to 20,000 miles a year and works a full time job, so i don't know why it's so outlandish to believe that she could do the same in a climate that supports year-round riding.
I had a friend go over 21k miles/1.5m ft last year while working full time.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Mr. Pink - shame on you.

This thread should be about a woman who is wildly accomplished in the cycling discipline. The actual numbers are really immaterial, but watching any of those interviews it is clear she has a passion for cycling and fitness that is impressive to say the least. Her list of accomplishments in ultra endurance events speaks for itself.

to make baseless assumptions about how she funds such accomplishments or completely baseless assumptions about how many friends she has or the otherwise quality of her life is unbecoming of you, and really demeaning.

it wreaks of "i cant do it, so there is no way she can either".

as they say in the Navy - stow that poop.

edit:

to qualify my post above -

negativity annoys me.

you take a story and interview which is overwhelmingly positive and find some [assumed] negative aspects to dwell on. what good does that do you, or anyone?

Last edited by AngryScientist; 03-23-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:58 PM
extremely tall

A-effing-men.

I've been trying to figure out what to say about Mr. P's post since reading the initial one, then the follow up 'defense.'

Thanks, Nick, for stating what I was thinking much more politely and diplomatically than I've been able to muster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Mr. Pink - shame on you.

This thread should be about a woman who is wildly accomplished in the cycling discipline. The actual numbers are really immaterial, but watching any of those interviews it is clear she has a passion for cycling and fitness that is impressive to say the least. Her list of accomplishments in ultra endurance events speaks for itself.

to make baseless assumptions about how she funds such accomplishments or completely baseless assumptions about how many friends she has or the otherwise quality of her life is unbecoming of you, and really demeaning.

it wreaks of "i cant do it, so there is no way she can either".

as they say in the Navy - stow that poop.

edit:

to qualify my post above -

negativity annoys me.

you take a story and interview which is overwhelmingly positive and find some [assumed] negative aspects to dwell on. what good does that do you, or anyone?
Old 03-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

It's a different life, one that I couldn't live yet I've met several climbers who led a similar life. One that comes to mind is Fred Becky who died at age 94 last year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Beckey

I met him in the 70's-all he did was climb. He wrote several guidebooks and barely ever worked yet made 100's of first ascents. The movie Dirtbag is about his life. He was so frugal he would keep the same McDonald's coffee cup for months because you could get free refills if you brought the cup in.
He's a photo of him ice climbing at around age 83.

He wasn't sponsored, lived on nothing but climbed for almost 70 years. Just because we can't do/imagine it doesn't mean it's not possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fred_Beckey_-_Louise_Falls_-_2006.jpg (139.9 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by gasman; 03-23-2018 at 01:20 PM.