Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
There are lots of things that are worse to spend money on and a dream bikes or 5 dream bikes are a better investment to me than booze, cigarettes and other vices I used to spend money on!
Here, here.

I have plenty of co-workers, friends, and.or family members who blow a couple hundred every weekend on booze, and a father who thinks nothing of a couple hundred going out on golf or a day at the shooting range...and let's not mention the boat my brother just bought...

Bikes aren't an "investment", but they also aren't a pure "spend it and its gone" experience.

Said another way, my bikes lose less value over the year even with all the buying and selling and trying than many others "lose" through their various vices and hobbies.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delpo View Post
I think there is also an aesthetic component to the practical side of bike ownership and bike lust. Art is an important component for me and frames speak at the sculptural level. Just bought a used C60 because of sheer design beauty (imho). Will it be ridden? Sure. Will it be hung on a wall and drooled at? That too.

Thanks for a great thread.
Be sure to hang some pictures on the virtual wall here so the rest of us can drool...

And I'd love to see a travelogue of sorts of what you're riding is like in Puerto Rico!
Old 03-23-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
they are all just bikes, as long as they are reasonably well built and good fitting. even the best race bike is going to be a crappy gravel bike, and the niftiest gravel bike is going to be a mediocre road bike. what is ideal for the 2-hr fast group ride is not ideal for 8 hour leisurely century, etc etc etc.
I'll second what OldPotatoe said about your thoughtful responses - they are a gift to the forum..
Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Here, here.

I have plenty of co-workers, friends, and.or family members who blow a couple hundred every weekend on booze, and a father who thinks nothing of a couple hundred going out on golf or a day at the shooting range...and let's not mention the boat my brother just bought...

Bikes aren't an "investment", but they also aren't a pure "spend it and its gone" experience.

Said another way, my bikes lose less value over the year even with all the buying and selling and trying than many others "lose" through their various vices and hobbies.
I agree. I like being able to try out all kinds of bikes. I have a very good grasp of what I like at this point and have options every time I go for a ride.

I ride solo 99.9% of the time and have found myself appreciating the all road bikes more over the past few years. Having a top notch company down the road making exactly what I wanted and being in the position financially to make it work influenced my decision to purchase a brand new build from them.

Now I own a few dream bikes that will likely put a hold on buying any more this year. I currently have a Responsorium and Parlee Z5 for fair weather road riding, a Lynskey helix sport disc and R350 for Winter, late fall and rainy days. For all road I have the new No 22 Drifters and a Moots Routt inbound. I also have a Mukluk SUS and Pro 29 for trails that are too rough for the any road bikes.

I have a couple others that I have not built up and likely won't anytime soon. I am going to get some miles in and then I'll purge those that I don't use. I know I'll lose a little money in the process, but nothing detrimental to my financial well being. Hopefully I'll be able to help a fellow cyclist get on a great riding bike for a reasonable price when I'm done with them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
It's not the catching, or the number caught, that matters; it's the attitude and relationship to that catch - if there is anxiety and sense of "my life won't be complete unless I have a C60", then trouble arises and the hobby becomes an addiction - especially if other more important things in one's life are being neglected, funds diverted, debt taken on, etc.

But if the attitude is "oh hey cool, let's try this one out and have fun with it for a bit, and at the moment I think it'd be neat to get one of these other ones, but not a big deal if I don't", then really there is no harm/foul no matter how many are run through in how short of a period of time.

I try to stay firmly in the second camp, and check myself if I'm tipping into the first and taking things too seriously.

If I go home today and my garage has been broken into and all my bikes and gear are gone - it'll stink, but it won't be the end of the world. These are just inanimate objects. They will all eventually find the scrap heap, or land in the Sacramento river. In the meantime, we enjoy the art, we have our fun, and life goes on.
Oh - did you think I was referring to you?
Old 03-23-2018, 11:49 AM

Just a reminder as to what started this thread .....

Quote:

Nothing more to say really; this is just as good as it gets for me...though maybe I'd pick titanium instead of steel...and an SMP saddle...

It's a Stelbel and was posted by them on FB this morning as a new 2018 option.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:50 AM

Followed up ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I still prefer either one of these two.

SB/03

RODANO

That said, I do wonder what the "copied/quoted from the internet versus actually owned/ridden" ratio for Stelbels is.
It seems very high.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Oh - did you think I was referring to you?

No, just continuing the conversation..
Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Just a reminder as to what started this thread .....

I reserve the right to contradict myself at any time.

“New information has come to light, man!”
Old 03-23-2018, 12:12 PM

A build from Rob English would satisfy me forever!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:20 PM

I also follow their posts.
This one from today:
SB/03

I have Carbon and Ti (and an old Bianchi Steel, not worth upgrading)
If I ever get a new bike, it'll be steel
Old 03-23-2018, 12:25 PM

It was sitting in my garage for a while.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:39 PM

Seriously, I am very satisfied with what I have in my rec room. There are so many good bikes when you get to the elite level. My personal philosphy has been own a few great bikes instead for a lot good bikes. I enjoy the experience more than the tools. Which means I want to forget about the bike when riding. If I have a lot of bikes I am going to be thinking about one differs from the other or how I wish this one was more like this, etc, etc. But not having many bikes I can put those thoughts awa and enjoy the ride. A bike other than being the tool for experience is it allows your individuality show. Thats why I like buying new bikes because I control what the bike looks like.

I love my Mosiac. Its a great bike but if I owned a Firefly or a Seven or an Eriksen / Bingham Built I would probably been equally satisfied.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
It was sitting in my garage for a while.
every time i see your workbench i want to build one just like it...