Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
much less so than breathing the air in LA or any metropolis area.
I hear that.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I think Hampsten gets this right with their Strada Bianca bikes. I think we all know that means "white road" as in crushed limestone. One fine example I have ridden is the Erie Canal Towpath. I rode a R. Sachs cross bike with 700x28 clinchers and it was wonderful on the Path and on the paved roads around it.
that's my stomping grounds. depending on the time of year, you can do it with 23mm road slicks (summer), on through to 33mm cyclocross mud tires (winter). but you're right, generally a road bike with 28ish tires is plenty.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky here, but in the 27 years I lived in Iowa, riding thousands of miles per year on gravels, I have never seen the county road departments spraying herbicides anywhere. Mowing of the ditches and easements is generally left up to the landowners, generally farmers, who only apply herbicides to production. The "greenspace", to use a modern term, surrounding crops, is a necessary part of agriculture so farmers make an effort to prevent herbicides from going where they are not wanted, not to mention extra cost for chemicals. Now, dust from a field, which is rare anymore, is a different matter, I would be concerned about that. No-till production has stopped most farm dust. There was probably a lot more reason to be concerned before we knew even there was a health risk from the herbicides.
Dicamba has a hell of a drift problem to the point it was temporarly banned in several states after Monsanto launch their dicamba traits to replace their roundup ready traits. . The concern of herbicide drift is a hot topic at least in the industry and regulatory agencies as a result. Just wondering if the concerns have trickle down to the public
Old 02-09-2018, 10:26 AM

I am not a groader either. My friends love it. I just ride my MTB. Though, we have a local ride called the Farmland 50 that's pretty cool. Still ride my MTB though.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Don't love the groading but I'm learning to accept it. This spring I plan to partake in some Tuesday evening groad rides that are full-on race pace. I'm going to tire up my Zanconato road bike to at least 28s and let 'er rip!

The advantage where I'm at is the 98% reduction in automotive traffic. The disadvantage is the feeling of often pedaling through wet sand. It feels like that because some of the time that's exactly what it is.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Administrator

i love gravel road riding, but have zero interest in "full out race pace" on gravel rides. i'd rather take my time, enjoy the scenery and chat with a small group of people or ride alone.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i love gravel road riding, but have zero interest in "full out race pace" on gravel rides. i'd rather take my time, enjoy the scenery and chat with a small group of people or ride alone.
This is exactly what I love about gravel rides. It's a nice change of pace and scenery from hammering along on the road
Old 02-09-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
The ride I'm referring to is an interesting one. A local fast man started it and it's usually a 2-lap affair. The first lap is done at a reasonable, conversational pace. The second lap is whatever you can do. I actually like it. There's lots of opportunity to 'race' or just cruise and the attitude is far less chesty and full of bravado than the usual road Tuesday Night World Championship rides. I still like my go-fast moments but this ride breaks up. It's actually pretty fun with a lot less of the arrogance than we often recognize from the paved road scene.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Not so sure about the gravel thing for me. I have a 29er full rigid, all carbon, grab and go MTB that I love to pound on in the trails. There are times that it would be nice to pop out of that trail and ride the road back to the trail head but I'm ok with just the MTB, for now...

But that video the OP posted is pretty amazing. Just don't have 100s of miles of gravel around here nor the time at this stage in my life.

Last edited by huck*this; 02-09-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Hey weisan if you like to Reno to Nevada city ought to check out the Reno to Mendocino (coast on Norcal) which adds 200 miles and 15k of climbing. We ride the roads in the video but I have to say the Mendocino mountains are even more beautiful.
Is this what you're referring to? Looks pretty awesome!
Old 02-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall View Post
Is this what you're referring to? Looks pretty awesome!
Sort of. We have used Murphy's (Superpro) route basically. But have done it with my ourselves for the last two years with FlashUNC as our support driver. SuperPro thing I would highly recommend.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Sort of. We have used Murphy's (Superpro) route basically. But have done it with my ourselves for the last two years with FlashUNC as our support driver. SuperPro thing I would highly recommend.
Oh man, it's hard to look at these pictures while we're being snowed in here in Wisconsin Definitely will add this to my list!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall View Post
Oh man, it's hard to look at these pictures while we're being snowed in here in Wisconsin Definitely will add this to my list!
It’s long but there are no serious steep climbs just 20 mile climbs at 6-7% for the most part. D2R2 is harder in my opinion.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM

Up Mendocino Pass in the fog this year:

Up above Low Gap heading into Mendocino proper. Wasn't on the ride route but was on the support truck route:

This lunatic was smiling on like a 12% section:

Old 02-09-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
This lunatic was smiling on like a 12% section:

The dude was hopped on prednisone for a gaping poison oak rash. He felt no suffering.