Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 11:15 AM

I actually just found the opposite. For example Isadore now has a state side distributor. Received my jersey in 2 days with free shipping and Lightweight. Also has a state side rep. Received items same time 2 days with free shipping.

These items before were hard to get in a timely fashion never mind the exorbitant shipping charge.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Funny, how 'some' have been so 'low price' indoctrinated, so that more normal 'margins', either via a manufacturer direct or via a distributor, becomes 'gouging'. Gouging implies somebody is taking a YUGE margin, but in reality, a lot of this 'alternative' bike stuff channels are being closed, some who rely 100% on volume. I get a little testy when 'some' imply when a LBS, for example, put a price on some bike widget, that's lots higher than some 'neverknownbeforetoday' web site..then automatically the LBS must be 'gouging' the customer. Not how it works, in most cases. 'Most' decent bike shops pay a price for that bike widget, divide by .65 or so(35 point margin, NOT 'markup')..to get to their price. 35 point margin is recognized as the "MINIMUM" required to keep the lights on..have ZERO net profit at the end of the year and no more debt.
Lbs still charges way too much for me to walk in and buy a 91$ 11s chain when I can 2nd day air 2 of them no tax for 20$ less. We will still get our deals. Funny thing is, if I can’t I just won’t buy as much. Out of curiosity, do all businesses make 35% margin? No, I don’t think so, the lbs is really just a bad business model, most of the US is bad weather for biking 50% of the year, bike shops need to think about that.

Last edited by Mikej; 03-23-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Funny, how 'some' have been so 'low price' indoctrinated, so that more normal 'margins', either via a manufacturer direct or via a distributor, becomes 'gouging'. Gouging implies somebody is taking a YUGE margin, but in reality, a lot of this 'alternative' bike stuff channels are being closed, some who rely 100% on volume. I get a little testy when 'some' imply when a LBS, for example, put a price on some bike widget, that's lots higher than some 'neverknownbeforetoday' web site..then automatically the LBS must be 'gouging' the customer. Not how it works, in most cases. 'Most' decent bike shops pay a price for that bike widget, divide by .65 or so(35 point margin, NOT 'markup')..to get to their price. 35 point margin is recognized as the "MINIMUM" required to keep the lights on..have ZERO net profit at the end of the year and no more debt.
Yeah but ...

Gouging can only occur for goods or services that are necessities, and not for luxury items. For example, the diamond (as in jewelry) industry is dominated by just a few big companies, and they use their near-monopoly to demand huge markups. But because diamonds are purely a luxury item, it isn't a case of gouging. Since high-end bicycle components are not really a necessity, you can't really gouge on the prices of them at all.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Yeah but ...

Gouging can only occur for goods or services that are necessities, and not for luxury items. For example, the diamond (as in jewelry) industry is dominated by just a few big companies, and they use their near-monopoly to demand huge markups. But because diamonds are purely a luxury item, it isn't a case of gouging. Since high-end bicycle components are not really a necessity, you can't really gouge on the prices of them at all.

That's not true.
By definition, price gouging is a term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of any goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
That's not true.
By definition, price gouging is a term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of any goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.
You just described the pricing model of many luxury goods. In many cases, luxury items are priced far higher than would (rationally) be considered reasonable and fair, simply for reasons of exclusivity.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Lbs still charges way too much for me to walk in and buy a 91$ 11s chain when I can 2nd day air 2 of them no tax for 20$ less. We will still get our deals. Funny thing is, if I can’t I just won’t buy as much. Out of curiosity, do all businesses make 35% margin? No, I don’t think so, the lbs is really just a bad business model, most of the US is bad weather for biking 50% of the year, bike shops need to think about that.
If the lbs sells you that chain for $71, they are losing money. Just selling for a few $ more than they paid doesn’t mesn they can pay their fixed expenses(what margin pays for). Most retail may be a ‘bad business model’ but it’s not absolute. My shop was in ski country USA, and we did fine with just bikes and bike stuff.

‘Most bad for biking 50% of the year? Not exactly...even Minnesota isn’t clobbered 50% of the year.

Other business’ use different margins. Skiing and jewelry, as examples, operate at much much higher margins.

But what I said is still true, the lbs isn’t ‘gouging’ you when he sells the chain for $91, when it probably cost him $60 or so.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-23-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:10 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Get Potenza😍....
There is no way Potenza is better than the new ultegra?
Old 03-23-2018, 05:13 PM

I picked up a da9100 group from jensonusa for ribble da9000 prices(when they were shipping to the USA) pretty recently...not sure retail pricing is ever worth it unless you need it today.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:35 PM

Wiggle

The market is slowly correcting itself.

The market was not correct when prices were silly low from the UK- It was a combo of loss leaders, OE over-purchases, and grey market goods.

Companies have been working hard to close these loops-

It may not be the best thing for the internet purchasing bike consumer- But it is not a bad thing.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:41 PM

In part, the manufacturers are driving this to protect their domestic sellers from currency shifts among othetr things ... like tarrifs etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 05:54 PM
v a n i l l a

Soooo...this explains the rise in campagnolo wheel prices the past 18 months?

Bora One, Shamal Mille/Ultra...ouch.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
If the lbs sells you that chain for $71, they are losing money. Just selling for a few $ more than they paid doesn’t mesn they can pay their fixed expenses(what margin pays for). Most retail may be a ‘bad business model’ but it’s not absolute. My shop was in ski country USA, and we did fine with just bikes and bike stuff.

‘Most bad for biking 50% of the year? Not exactly...even Minnesota isn’t clobbered 50% of the year.

Other business’ use different margins. Skiing and jewelry, as examples, operate at much much higher margins.

But what I said is still true, the lbs isn’t ‘gouging’ you when he sells the chain for $91, when it probably cost him $60 or so.
I know, it’s just a weird set of circumstances- I can actually buy 11s chains for like 37 ish and if I buy 2 I qualify for 2nd day air. I am unsure how Comp Cyclist does it, but I am just unable to pay the lbs price, I would have to change hobbies. My friend has a boat. He wanted a new boat so he sold it, for literally 80% of what he paid several years earlier. Bikes are just one step above gambling for some reason. At least we can get 35% in the classifieds. Also, I mean ill will to any bike shop owners, it’s a hard gig.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
There is no way Potenza is better than the new ultegra?
If a kia rio is better than a BMW M3 because it's lighter and cheaper than yes maybe Potenza is better than ultegra, lol.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:28 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
If a kia rio is better than a BMW M3 because it's lighter and cheaper than yes maybe Potenza is better than ultegra, lol.
But Potenza is heavier and more expensive.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:03 PM

Did someone say $91 for a chain?

I'm not 100% up on Campy, but is there a SuperRecord chain or something?