Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 07:39 AM

I have an R330 - great frame/bike but times have changed and I am heavier so prefer more tire clearance for bigger tires so don’t ride it as much as I used to.

I lived in TN when I bought it and made a visit to the facility - it was on an impressively large scale and all service was top notch.

IIRC the company started in aerospace and had a side interest in bikes which grew into a more significant interest so they know more than bikes. The ti Merckx that LA won the 93 World Champs in Oslo was a Lynskey made frame I believe .
Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 AM

I had two, great bikes. They were my intro to Ti.

But these new dropouts? Beyond ugly.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:44 AM

Put me down as another satisfied owner.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:19 AM

I have owned several all bought direct from Lynskey. Customer service was a mixed bag unless I really pressed them to make something right if it bothered me enough.

2010 Sportive (standard headtube, rim brake) - great welds, great ride, sold it 2016 when I got my Seven
2011 R230 (standard headtube) - great welds, great ride, sold it in 2014 when I got the R255, never should have let this one go
2012 CooperCX Disc (standard headtube) - came filthy as if it was not cleaned after final machining, steel fork was heavily scratched, something was stuck in a seatstay and would rattle around, called and complained but they told me not to worry because I got a "bro deal" as a repeat customer. I could return it but would have to pay shipping both ways and restock fee
2013 Sportive Disc (standard headtube) - traded in CooperCX and swapped all parts over. Welds were fine but not as good as earlier models. Finish was not great. Way too much toe overlap. sold it on eBay for a decent price. When I sent the CooperCX back they complained something was stuck in the seatstay and now they were going to take a huge loss selling it used - irony?
2014 R255 (standard headtube) - clean welds, rode like a dream, gave it to my sister in law. She is still riding it and loving it.
2016 R255 (standard headtube) - clean welds, bought it at a really cheap price "bro deal". Sat in my mother-in-laws attic new and un-built until I finally decided to sell it to a forum member who got an even better deal because I included a new fork and headset.

I can say my overall experience has been very mixed. Early frames (Sportive, R230) were good, middle frames were not so good (CooperCX, Sportive Disc), and late frames were good (2014 R255, 2016 R255). Customer service has been all over the place but that may also be because they have had at least 3 Directors of Sales and Marketing in the past 6-7 years.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 03-22-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:42 AM

Fork Rake

I have an old pro cross that has been a great bike. The geometry of that frame and of the new ones are pretty similar. Except they now spec the bike with a 45mm fork instead of 47mm. I would like to switch to a 45mm Ricthey for its great tire clearance. Would that be a problem? They both have the same axle to crown measurement.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
I have owned several all bought direct from Lynskey. Customer service was a mixed bag unless I really pressed them to make something right if it bothered me enough.

2010 Sportive (standard headtube, rim brake) - great welds, great ride, sold it 2016 when I got my Seven
2011 R230 (standard headtube) - great welds, great ride, sold it in 2014 when I got the R255, never should have let this one go
2012 CooperCX Disc (standard headtube) - came filthy as if it was not cleaned after final machining, steel fork was heavily scratched, something was stuck in a seatstay and would rattle around, called and complained but they told me not to worry because I got a "bro deal" as a repeat customer. I could return it but would have to pay shipping both ways and restock fee
2013 Sportive Disc (standard headtube) - traded in CooperCX and swapped all parts over. Welds were fine but not as good as earlier models. Finish was not great. Way too much toe overlap. sold it on eBay for a decent price. When I sent the CooperCX back they complained something was stuck in the seatstay and now they were going to take a huge loss selling it used - irony?
2014 R255 (standard headtube) - clean welds, rode like a dream, gave it to my sister in law. She is still riding it and loving it.
2016 R255 (standard headtube) - clean welds, bought it at a really cheap price "bro deal". Sat in my mother-in-laws attic new and un-built until I finally decided to sell it to a forum member who got an even better deal because I included a new fork and headset.

I can say my overall experience has been very mixed. Early frames (Sportive, R230) were good, middle frames were not so good (CooperCX, Sportive Disc), and late frames were good (2014 R255, 2016 R255). Customer service has been all over the place but that may also be because they have had at least 3 Directors of Sales and Marketing in the past 6-7 years.
Seems like the Lynskey I bought is in relatively good condition! I decided to go ahead and purchase it along with a Whiskey no.9 fork b/c it has a 45mm rake that matches. Pairing it up with a new Force/ Rival mixed hydro group, and some dirty cheap deals on new Oval wheels. ^____^
Old 03-23-2018, 05:54 AM
Huffing Mastik

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
The 'former Lysnskey welder" mentioned above was Richie Moore, who went on to found Cysco cycles. He sold the company after a few years and its now dormant while the new owner moves. I have one of his ti bikes, and its radical looking but rides really well, and the welds are uniformly excellent.
Yes, that's him. It has been three or four years and I couldn't pull it out of my crowded brain.

Reflecting on my disappointment with Lynskey, I've come to realize the roots of my disappointment beyond the actual physical problems with my two frames.

When they first came back around 2007, they marketed as a framebuilder of trust. They were selling only through high end shops, the implication was that David Lynskey would have his hands on your frame at some point, most orders were bespoke, etc. I owned an early ABG (2001) era Litespeed and loved it. I was looking for a grail ti bike for my 50th birthday and they seemed to fit the mold and be equivalent to all of the bespoke ti masters and maybe better because of their long-term experience with the material..

I was of course disappointed when the bike cracked (twice) at the ST/BB junction. However, what really made me feel swindled and has generated my long term animosity for them was the revelation that the original marketing that drew me in was dishonest. They weren't and aren't bespoke master builders but originally marketed themselves as such. Anyone who bought from them between 2007 and 2009 got a mass market bike under a custom guise at an inflated price. They were also rough on their dealers - that's a separate story and has been verified here by Oldspud in prior threads. I can forgive the warranty problems but the deceptive marketing sucked. Now they're transparent about their business model and I guess that's fine, but not for me. There's good, honest budget ti out there (Habanero) without the baggage.

Last edited by ldamelio; 03-23-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
...They were also rough on their dealers - that's a separate story and has been verified here by Oldspud in prior threads...
I heard that from a dealer in CO (not oldspud) and another dealer in NY/Brooklyn. Neither one wants to deal with them ever again.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:48 AM

I had considered purchasing a 29er frame for awhile..after reading this thread....hmm maybe not.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
I had considered purchasing a 29er frame for awhile..after reading this thread....hmm maybe not.
I wouldn't let a couple of bad experiences from 10 years ago sway your decision too much. I think that the problems listed by some are legitimate, but overall if you look at the majority of folks reviews they are generally very happy with their bikes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2018, 09:14 PM

I was browsing the No22 website and saw their "ready made" Great Divide model. Is this a Lynsky built for No22?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I beg to disagree. I have ridden a custom Lynskey R440 for the past decade and it’s the best bike I’ve owned to date. I have ridden and raced on a number steel bikes including Paramouts, custom steel, and Ti bikes starting with my first Merlin in 1992, a Litespeed Ultimate, and a Litespeed Vortex. I chose the Lynskey when David Lynskey was just starting out after his noncompete with Litespeed expired, because I loved my Vortex which was destroyed when I got hit by a car. That is also why I opted for a frame built from 6/4 Ti. The Lynskey is beautiful, and is just as nice as any bike made by Moots or any other Ti bike manufactured currently. The welds are perfect, and on the par with those of any other Ti builder.

Bike snobs here have an issue with Lynskey’s business model, because it builds for other companies like No. 22, and because it offers some bikes at lower price points that can be purchased from some online retailers. The company has to generate revenue to remain viable, and even its lower end bikes are still top notch. It’s high-end bikes are great.

If you buy a bike, you should buy it to ride it, and not to arbitrage it. A bike is a tool, and not an investment. If you are worried about resale, you should be investing your money elsewhere. You will get your money’s worth if you ride the thing.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:35 PM

Disregard.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 05-04-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:50 PM

When they went consumer direct => race to the bottom

Unfortunate, but IMHO... bikesdirect.com

End of line
Old 06-04-2018, 06:01 PM

Hmmm...I'm looking hard right now at the deals being offered with 0% financing.

SPP
Old 06-04-2018, 06:21 PM

There are nice second hand titanium frames from Seven, Merlin, Serotta and Moots that I’d get before a new Lynskey for close to same price if your patient. I’ve had a few Lynskey’s and quality all over the map. Nothing recent but from about 5-10 years ago vintages, can’t speak to newer stuff.