Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2016, 10:21 AM

Question Wheel Capability for CX Build

Sorry if this is overly naive, but I wanted to float a quick question regarding wheel/rim capability for a CX build.

New to the off-road world and have just finished building up an X-Fire frame, hacked/gutted/modded Force components for 1X, and so forth.

I then arrived at wheels and zero left in the budget. I had my backup non-aero wheels in the closet and thought I might go ahead and start riding these until securing something more suited to the riding style for which I settle.

Cutting to the chase: I have a set of DA9000 C24 (clincher, non-tubeless ready). Will I destroy these by taking them off the pavement? If it matters much, I'm fairly light (145 or less).

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_h View Post
Sorry if this is overly naive, but I wanted to float a quick question regarding wheel/rim capability for a CX build.

New to the off-road world and have just finished building up an X-Fire frame, hacked/gutted/modded Force components for 1X, and so forth.

I then arrived at wheels and zero left in the budget. I had my backup non-aero wheels in the closet and thought I might go ahead and start riding these until securing something more suited to the riding style for which I settle.

Cutting to the chase: I have a set of DA9000 C24 (clincher, non-tubeless ready). Will I destroy these by taking them off the pavement? If it matters much, I'm fairly light (145 or less).

Thanks!
You won't destroy them probably. Shimano wheels in the C class are pretty tough. Its the R garbage they put on mid-level bikes youd be wary of.

Also depends on the kind of riding you do. Some people take cross bikes and do things I would only dream of doing on an MTB. Are you just racing cross and practicing? They're not ideal (not tubular or tubeless, not deep for clearance etc) but will probably hold up fine at 145#s.

I think what's really going to happen is you're going to want a different set of wheels. Plan for that to be the case and start saving now.

Can they do the trick? Sure.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:51 AM

I'll be initially training and doing skill work, power development, and the like to adapt to the new terrain and ride style. But I plan to start racing a bit this spring.

I fully admit that I already know that a different wheel is in my (near) future. Want to go tubular, wider, and a deeper profile when there is some more wiggle room in the parts budget and something pops up on here. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't ruin my road backups by temporarily using them off-road for CX business.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:59 AM

I don't think you'll destroy them, but you never know... strange things happen when you start riding off-road. crashes are more common and you usually just shrug it off, give your bike and yourself a once-over and get back to it. having a robust wheelset with a lot of easily replaceable parts is a good thing. now, these aren't crap wheels by any stretch, but even at 145lbs, I wouldn't get too wild with only 16 spokes in the front and 21 in the back. especially since those spokes would require a special order, should I break one. I'd say you're good, but go gentle with 'em for now, and pick up something cheap, wide, and with a lot of (easily sourced) spokes whenever you get the chance.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:11 PM

I'd be more wary of the carbon/aluminum hybrid rim than anything - I cracked 2 of them via small rock hits on gravel roads on my road bike. Enough to turn me off of them despite the great ride.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:47 PM

This was pretty much the game plan - cautious use until I muster something up that's more suited. I'll heed your warning and take it easy. The non-standard shop parts was something that I hadn't considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
I don't think you'll destroy them, but you never know... strange things happen when you start riding off-road. crashes are more common and you usually just shrug it off, give your bike and yourself a once-over and get back to it. having a robust wheelset with a lot of easily replaceable parts is a good thing. now, these aren't crap wheels by any stretch, but even at 145lbs, I wouldn't get too wild with only 16 spokes in the front and 21 in the back. especially since those spokes would require a special order, should I break one. I'd say you're good, but go gentle with 'em for now, and pick up something cheap, wide, and with a lot of (easily sourced) spokes whenever you get the chance.
Interesting. This hadn't crossed my mind as a possibility. Was this direct rock-on-rim edge contact, or shrapnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
I'd be more wary of the carbon/aluminum hybrid rim than anything - I cracked 2 of them via small rock hits on gravel roads on my road bike. Enough to turn me off of them despite the great ride.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_h View Post
This was pretty much the game plan - cautious use until I muster something up that's more suited. I'll heed your warning and take it easy. The non-standard shop parts was something that I hadn't considered.

Interesting. This hadn't crossed my mind as a possibility. Was this direct rock-on-rim edge contact, or shrapnel?
Shrapnel. Sucks as the rims are pricey.

Also had a wheel where the carbon delaminated from the aluminum rim. Shimano warranted the wheelset. I liked them a lot but got a bit tired of the low durability I experienced.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:52 PM

In general, off-road isn't as violent to the wheels as bad cobbles and curbs, most of the terrain has some give in it. Roots and rocks are hazards but dirt, ruts and bumpy, scrubland grass like we get here aren't.

Racing's another thing, all sorts of stupid stuff can happen and even the most rugged wheel can be destroyed if you're Joey.

Tags
building, cyclocross, wheels