Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I've not shared this in public before but I was homeless when I was in my late teens.

I didn't do drugs and I never committed a crime....I just didn't have enough money to both eat and have a place to stay.

I left home just before turning 17 because my older brother was violently abusive to me and my parents looked the other way in an effort to delude themselves that everything was "fine." I moved from New York to Florida and worked at a bike shop and did my very best to make money racing BMX.

I was making it but not by much. And then my truck broke down and the repair took everything I had. I lost my apartment and did some house sitting and couch surfing and saved some money but coming up with first month, last month and security deposit was a big ask.

I ran out of places to sleep and started sleeping in my truck and showering at a local campground. I thought it would be for a night or two and it lasted much longer. I found it hard to find places to park the truck where I wouldn't get tickets or towed.

I knew that it was going to get much worse if I didn't do something big to find a place to live. I chose to attend some B level pro BMX races thinking that if I won I could get a few hundred bucks (much smaller winnings than at A level races but easier to get). I trained as hard as I could on the little food I could afford and I won two B races and suddenly had just enough to get a very small apartment with two other guys. It sucked but it was dry and safe. From there things progressed very slowly to the good.

I wasn't mentally ill. I wasn't an addict. I wasn't a criminal. I wasn't lazy. I was broke....flat out broke. The only thing I lacked was money. I saw all too many like me. I also saw people with larger challenges than just being broke. I saw a full mix. One sees much more when you are not passing by at 55 mph but sitting still with your fellow humans. One sees a lot and it is an eye opener.

dave
This was a gutsy post, especially considering your exalted status in the bike building world. Everyone has a narrative, and it's easy to make assumptions. Thanks for sharing.

And kudos to the other Forum members who shared similar experiences.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
She may have pulled in 50k per anum during the heyday, but her success and likeness were leveraged by individuals/organizations who could barely tote her dirty cycling socks as far as cycling chops were concerned. Cast aside by Chris Carmichael et.al when she refused to ride a sponsor junket in the 96 Olympics because she didn't like it and felt more competitive on another bike. Cast aside like a NCAA athlete with a chronic injury. She was way undercompensated

$$ doesn't fix everything, but it certainly makes things easier. In this case, a big check to her favorite homeless charity from USAC or whatever would probably give an incredible amount of personal satisfaction
This is not really specific to her but the idea that athletes should be compensated a certain amount does sound very much a case of entitlement.

Pro athletics contributes next to nothing to society other than entertainment. If not enough people are entertained to generate the money that doesn't mean society needs to correct that.

I have seen this come up other places (not this forum) in the news more and more lately.

Mostly about the USA Soccer situation. They are probably screwing some stuff up with how they treat the women, but the US has no duty to pay either the men or the women to play soccer if no one cares that they're playing soccer. Complicated issue.

Cycling is very much in the same boat.. US Pro cyclists regardless of gender make almost no money because no one really cares about the sport. It is not a societal problem that we haven't figured out a way to make Pro Cyclists compensated like Pro Ball sports players. It's just capitalism. If Pro Cyclists think they deserve a lot of money they have to make people outside of Europe care. The sport has a ton of business model problems.

There are a bunch of sports I think we all think are more niche and marginalized than cycling but the athletes in those sports have actually figured out better business models than cycling and they actually do better. E.x. we have had some recent posts about the movie "Free Solo", who would have ever thought Alex Honnold has apparently done better financially than the vast majority of US Pro cyclists.

Last edited by benb; 04-17-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:17 AM

Dave Kirk you must have been one hell of a BMX racer, thanks for sharing your story it's a very inspirational tale to never give up.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:59 AM

I agree, nobody deserves a specific level of compensation for their labor. You can get what you can negotiate for based on how much people value your contribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
This is not really specific to her but the idea that athletes should be compensated a certain amount does sound very much a case of entitlement.

Pro athletics contributes next to nothing to society other than entertainment. If not enough people are entertained to generate the money that doesn't mean society needs to correct that.

I have seen this come up other places (not this forum) in the news more and more lately.

Mostly about the USA Soccer situation. They are probably screwing some stuff up with how they treat the women, but the US has no duty to pay either the men or the women to play soccer if no one cares that they're playing soccer. Complicated issue.

Cycling is very much in the same boat.. US Pro cyclists regardless of gender make almost no money because no one really cares about the sport. It is not a societal problem that we haven't figured out a way to make Pro Cyclists compensated like Pro Ball sports players. It's just capitalism. If Pro Cyclists think they deserve a lot of money they have to make people outside of Europe care. The sport has a ton of business model problems.

There are a bunch of sports I think we all think are more niche and marginalized than cycling but the athletes in those sports have actually figured out better business models than cycling and they actually do better. E.x. we have had some recent posts about the movie "Free Solo", who would have ever thought Alex Honnold has apparently done better financially than the vast majority of US Pro cyclists.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:01 PM

I appreciate those who've been brave enough to relate their experiences. It helps illustrate the variable paths to the homeless state.

I read a book a year ago, "Evicted". It focuses only on Milwaukee, but isn't unique to that locale. It reveals the tenuous hold many have on housing and discusses the predatory relationships some landlords have with their tenants. Many folks spend an unsustainable percent of their meager incomes on rent, which paradoxically, are often not much below those of more affluent areas. They expend unbelievable amounts of time finding living space, going to court, getting their stuff out of storage after eviction, so much so that this creates difficulty making it to work.

Clearly, drugs and mental health issues contribute in some cases, but that's too broad a brush to use.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
I appreciate those who've been brave enough to relate their experiences. It helps illustrate the variable paths to the homeless state.

I read a book a year ago, "Evicted". It focuses only on Milwaukee, but isn't unique to that locale. It reveals the tenuous hold many have on housing and discusses the predatory relationships some landlords have with their tenants. Many folks spend an unsustainable percent of their meager incomes on rent, which paradoxically, are often not much below those of more affluent areas. They expend unbelievable amounts of time finding living space, going to court, getting their stuff out of storage after eviction, so much so that this creates difficulty making it to work.

Clearly, drugs and mental health issues contribute in some cases, but that's too broad a brush to use.

Seattle and San Fran are two examples of places where the price of real-estate has jumped exponentially and people who rent either have to ante up for the rising rents to stay, or get evicted when developers buy buildings to renovate and cater to the more upscale market. I also recently read about some people getting into what was supposed to be affordable housing and then turning around and renting (actually subletting) those affordable units for higher dollars to people with more affordable incomes.

It's a complex problem with no easy answers...
Working poor
Gentrification
Drug addiction
Mental health issues
People scamming the system
Leaving abusive situations with no where else to go
A run of bad luck with no safety net

W.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:

+1. Brutally honest, hard-fought and inspiring.

But let's not brush over the seriousness of mental health and drug addiction in the homeless population. Substance abuse runs about 50% - either leading to or the result of homelessness (if you believe the reports from those charged with tracking it). Substance abuse is a major issue (75%) with veterans who are homeless and even those who are not.

Money is definitely tied to homelessness. Since more than 50% of the US population does not have $500 in the bank, it is not difficult to see how many people are on the cusp of financial catastrophe. One large unexpected medical or other non-discretionary expense and .... Around 20% of US households (young and old) have a negative net worth.

10,000 boomers are retiring every day. Millions of them have nothing saved for retirement. Social Security is their retirement plan. For those that have saved, the median savings at retirement age (65-74) is $150k. By age 75 the median savings is down to $70k. Those numbers with current social security equates to living on about $20k/yr. Not easy. Savings don't currently return much - money has to be invested in more risk to have a greater than inflation return. If the economy and financial markets turn down or SS goes away/ is significantly reduced.... bad news for retirees. If less risky returns rise (interest rates) the young are penalized.

There are some financial issues brewing in the US which may see a significant increase in the number of people struggling for permanent shelter and food. Then again, the economy is SO complex market forces might balance things out. Hard to know at this point but there is reason to be concerned - IMO.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
+1. Brutally honest, hard-fought and inspiring.

But let's not brush over the seriousness of mental health and drug addiction in the homeless population. Substance abuse runs about 50% - either leading to or the result of homelessness (if you believe the reports from those charged with tracking it). Substance abuse is a major issue (75%) with veterans who are homeless and even those who are not.

Money is definitely tied to homelessness. Since more than 50% of the US population does not have $500 in the bank, it is not difficult to see how many people are on the cusp of financial catastrophe. One large unexpected medical or other non-discretionary expense and .... Around 20% of US households (young and old) have a negative net worth.

10,000 boomers are retiring every day. Millions of them have nothing saved for retirement. Social Security is their retirement plan. For those that have saved, the median savings at retirement age (65-74) is $150k. By age 75 the median savings is down to $70k. Those numbers with current social security equates to living on about $20k/yr. Not easy. Savings don't currently return much - money has to be invested in more risk to have a greater than inflation return. If the economy and financial markets turn down or SS goes away/ is significantly reduced.... bad news for retirees. If less risky returns rise (interest rates) the young are penalized.

There are some financial issues brewing in the US which may see a significant increase in the number of people struggling for permanent shelter and food. Then again, the economy is SO complex market forces might balance things out. Hard to know at this point but there is reason to be concerned - IMO.
Working with the homeless weekly this is what I see, big part of the problem.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:04 PM

I'd be curious to know which is more common: substance abuse preceding homelessness or do the homeless become so depressed/discouraged with their situation that they turn to drugs to dull the emotional pain? Anyone have any knowledge other than anecdotal?
Old 04-17-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I'd be curious to know which is more common: substance abuse preceding homelessness or do the homeless become so depressed/discouraged with their situation that they turn to drugs to dull the emotional pain? Anyone have any knowledge other than anecdotal?

This is what I do for a living, a career, a passion. I've got anecdotal, and I've got data. Here is the University of California, Irvine report commissioned by Orange COunty United Way on the state of homelessness here in Orange County. Look for yourself for the reasons people become homeless and ask what came first.

Remember, most addicts are housed. Most people with mental health issues, are housed.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Did we all become addicted to coffee before or after we became cyclists?

Sorry for the thread drift?
Old 04-17-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
This was a gutsy post, especially considering your exalted status in the bike building world. Everyone has a narrative, and it's easy to make assumptions. Thanks for sharing.

And kudos to the other Forum members who shared similar experiences.
+1000

Thank you, Dave.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:36 AM

Indeed. I also appreciate the personal experiences shared here.

All I can say on the subject is that those of us who were raised in stable and nurturing environments can probably never fully comprehend or appreciate the advantages that confers.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:49 AM

Her success and likeness were leveraged for the benefit of others...who've done quite well from that whole concept. She was used for a decade or so, if that's entitled....that's OK with me

NCAA does the same only one tasting the billions are coaches and administrators...and the get a pretty good taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

Old 04-18-2019, 06:48 AM

Thanks to those who shared personal stories...

On the veterans front--one must factor in PTSD and other trauma (so substance abuse to dull the pain) and/or physical trauma treated with pain killers leading to addiction--the causality gets murky, especially since some started abusing to make it through combat... Or even pain killer abuse that started with treating chronic pain from combat injuries.

We have a former local government guy whose long-term charitable goal is housing homeless veterans--he has had some success working with land from the old Camp Shanks site (this was the largest point of embarcation for WW II soldiers). He completed one set of handicap accessible condo-style dwelling units a few years ago, and then the current administration discontinued the program under which phase one was financed. I know from talking to the guys I have met who live there that a number of them were homeless before moving in. (Our Habitat chapter reno'd an old building to use as a community center/clubhouse for the site.)

The fact that he, as a single politician who is well-connected is struggling to raise money for such a worthwhile program for veterans tells you a lot about this country's priorities..

Last edited by paredown; 04-18-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
it's the economy