Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2021, 08:41 AM
gio

Impressive Demand for Custom Frames

Hello all,

I am coming across many UK and USA based custom frame builders that have exorbitant lead times. Saffron for example, has a current lead time of 8 months (https://www.saffronframeworks.com/ordering/).

Do people think this is a covid remnant or is it the demand really there for this many custom frames? Is there still space in the market for more brands?

Looking forward to reading people's thoughts!
Old 05-21-2021, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Well,

I'm thinking custom is the way to go right now if you want a bike. Top end specialized, trek pinarello are all well over $10k and you cant buy them because they are all out of stock and backordered, so custom starts to look like a real bargain!
Old 05-21-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrara.g View Post
Hello all,

I am coming across many UK and USA based custom frame builders that have exorbitant lead times. Saffron for example, has a current lead time of 8 months (https://www.saffronframeworks.com/ordering/).

Do people think this is a covid remnant or is it the demand really there for this many custom frames? Is there still space in the market for more brands?

Looking forward to reading people's thoughts!
Small builders (especially one person shops) can only make so many frames.

I do not know how related to covid it might be but I doubt it's much.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:55 AM

There's always room for more custom frame builders. They are such a small share of the market compared to the large bike brands, that you could probably see a 10X increase in the number of custom frames sold and specialized wouldn't even notice it on their balance sheet.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:56 AM

I wonder if part of this is aging riders like me who want a more relaxed geo that the high end Spesh Treks don't have? Plus these high end carbon frames cost as much or more as a custom Ti or steel frame from great builders.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:57 AM

if an off the shelf frameset is $5500 (aethos, i'm looking at you), is going to be available in 2022/2023, why not go custom with something more unique, fits you better, possibly rides better, and might be available sooner?
Old 05-21-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrara.g View Post
Hello all,

Echoing what Angry said but bear in mind Saffron is a one man band. He's always had a long lead time.

This time last year Seven had a 6 week wait. It's now 11 weeks.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:05 AM
I need you cool.

I dunno....I waited 4 months for my Serotta, and that was 15+ years ago. Depending on the builder, 8 months seems reasonable. One person shop could take longer. A builder like Firefly, Seven, etc could be shorter since they have more resources, but if they are popular it could be longer as well.

I am sure there are builders somewhere that have a shorter lead time.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:11 AM

I dunno I waited that long for a custom frame prior to the pandemic. Single person shops with established reputations are gonna take time.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:13 AM

When I was looking at the beginning of this year, Bingham was 4 months, Strong was 5 months, and Caletti was 8 months. All seemed reasonable to me, and all first class choices. Firefly was 21 months, that's getting out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I dunno....I waited 4 months for my Serotta, and that was 15+ years ago. Depending on the builder, 8 months seems reasonable. One person shop could take longer. A builder like Firefly, Seven, etc could be shorter since they have more resources, but if they are popular it could be longer as well.

I am sure there are builders somewhere that have a shorter lead time.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:16 AM
Meh

I saw that Mosaic is hiring.

Even if you can get a frame, will you be able find parts to hang on it?
Old 05-21-2021, 09:22 AM

As soon as I sent Carl my deposit in early January I started collecting the bits. Some took months to appear. Some of those could have been acquired earlier if I was willing to pay over retail. I think all the parts i need are here now, we'll see when the frame shows up! It's at Dark Matter now, so hope to see it before too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post

Old 05-21-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post

This. Early on, frames were the limiting reagent. Now its components, particularly from shimano.

We're down to our last 11s chain in the shop. Cassettes and chainrings are basically gone everywhere too. We've been rationing parts for the people that need them most. We look every day from our suppliers and haven't been able to reorder for months because everything is sold out aside from the crazy expensive UFO chains. Also, plan on it being like this until mid 2022. If you come across parts somewhere, buy them.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:28 AM

My framebuilder cant get the tubing he needs for my frame.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:41 AM

When you say last 11s chain, is that because you only stock Shimano? I use KMC 11s chains and I'm not seeing a shortage of those. Same with the SRAM XX1 chain I use on my MTB. And I'm seeing Shimano chains on Amazon.

Not trying to be argumentative, just want to understand what you're saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
This. Early on, frames were the limiting reagent. Now its components, particularly from shimano.

We're down to our last 11s chain in the shop. Cassettes and chainrings are basically gone everywhere too. We've been rationing parts for the people that need them most. We look every day from our suppliers and haven't been able to reorder for months because everything is sold out aside from the crazy expensive UFO chains. Also, plan on it being like this until mid 2022. If you come across parts somewhere, buy them.

Tags
custom