Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 05:20 AM
ZhugeLiang

A lot of things in cycling are "over-rated", please just go out and ride

Reading the threads that popped up almost everyday about the medical or life -related issues/challenges that some folks face, it reminded me and reaffirmed the principle I always believed and tried very hard to adhere to: and that is to focus on the most important things first, and the rest will take care of itself. Don't major in the minor, quit fussing over the little things, look at the big picture.

At a very fundamental level, I am just grateful that I can even go out and ride a bike. Anything that comes after that are just bonus, icing on the cake.

Going fast is over-rated.

Riding far is over-rated.

Climbing thousands of feet is over-rated.

Having the "best riding bike" is over-rated.

Even riding in exotic places like the French Alps is over-rated.

It will come a time when every single one of us would no longer be able to turn a crank. For whatever reason. Health. Age. Family. Motivation.

At that point, who wouldn't give up anything just to be able to get out there and ride again? on any bike, at whatever speed and distance, even just to the end of our street and back.

Obviously, everytime I start a thread like this, i have my supporters and detractors, which is fine. I learned a lot just by reading people's responses. They give me some insight into their inner-world, thought process, fears, biases, doubts....character. It's all good.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:10 AM

Please bear in mind that just because people don't share your point of view, you're not "right", and most importantly, not sharing your views doesn't make someone "wrong."

For some people, the point is going fast.

For some people, the point is going far.

For some people, the point is to climb thousands of feet.

For some people, having the "best bike" is something they enjoy having.

I mean, if you have the time to ride long, the ability to ride fast, and the disposable income to purchase whatever bike(s) you want, why wouldn't you? Is there some glory in not?

Personally, I think being a self-congratulatory fred who endlessly opines with a sense of superiority is overrated. Maybe you should up your riding and ride faster and longer, and while you're at it, make a couple extra bucks, buy something not from a sidewalk-sale co-op, and ride in those places that are "overrated". Show up to one of those fast rides in your area- you know, the ones with the racer wannabes on their "newest and best" bikes- and test your mettle. But you can't, and that's not your bag, so you're going to poo-pooh on others for engaging in such activities and prioritizing them.

Your ethnocentric view towards things comes off as self aggrandizing. There's always going to be someone smarter. There's always going to be someone faster. There's always going to be someone who has more money. To carry yourself in such a way as to demean or debase those reflects poorly upon you.

But then again, I could be wrong.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:15 AM
ZhugeLiang

Blown pal, that's the longest I have seen you written, thanks for your thoughtful response.
To be honest, I expect that from you, no problem.

Your point taken.

Last edited by weisan; 08-13-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:22 AM

It's always a good idea before engaging to take a step back, and remind yourself: We're adults....talking about bikes.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:29 AM

We all have come to this wacky and wonderful sport, hobby, addiction, etc from and for many different reasons. For whatever reason(s) the bug bit all of us HARD in one way or another. I've said this before and it's worth repeating...

Bicycling is M A G I C.

Weisan pal thanks for starting the thread.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 AM

I kinda like the old saying...."In the end everyone rides a triple". But before then...do what you want to do, or can do. I'm old, but still like to ride with faster younger groups.....push myself as hard as I can go.....and only have one bike with a triple on it as of now LOL.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:37 AM
Older Than You

I'm 80 and glad to still be riding anywhere at any speed.
I have a test hill I climb periodically just to see how I'm doing.
I's very short, just a few hundred feet, but it's a 9.1% grade.
I can still do it in the big ring. No knee or hip problems but a little out of breath....
Old 08-13-2018, 06:39 AM

Wow, even the most benign post seems to generate push back these days. What times we live in. I like riding my bike! After expressing that thought should I now don my flame proof bib shorts? No non-bibs! Arrrggggh......

Tim
Old 08-13-2018, 06:44 AM

Pal

You Need a Hug bro. and we all know I dont write much on here but i have been on the forum a long time..... I agree 100% with you but it sounds like you need a group hug.. PS Clean your garage.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiowner View Post
You Need a Hug bro. and we all know I dont write much on here but i have been on the forum a long time..... I agree 100% with you but it sounds like you need a group hug.. PS Clean your garage.
No kidding..it's about playing with toys after all. Yup, 'cycling' forum but If I couldn't ride, I'd do something else. I wouldn't 'give up anything' just to ride a bike again, like I wouldn't ride rather than see my grand daughters even on their worse day.
..It's a bike, hopefully steel, with Campagnolo on it. And tubulars...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-13-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:49 AM
PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!

Its all good as long as we all agree that tubulars are better than clinchers.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:12 AM
cmg

didn't ride all weekend, threat of rain put the group off. sitting here at work looking forward to this evenings ride. yep, just ride......

Last edited by cmg; 08-13-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:00 AM

My son asked if he could ride with me...

Bought my son a bike a few years ago. This marked his 4th ride, and came as a complete surprise.
Remarkable how content I was to shift from a more athletic ride to one that was more supportive and patient. And it rained. Not a downpour or deluge, but a mist that turned to a steady, albeit light rain.
Enough so that my wife came out to rescue us, but I don't keep the racks on the car, so only room for one bike and one person in the car.
So I pushed hard to finish the ride through a steady drizzle of rain and with lots of road spray, and a feeling of complete content.

I'm not that fast, I don't log as many miles as many, but there's still something wonderful about the whole thing, even in the rain, and especially when your child asks if he can ride with you.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
..It's a bike, hopefully steel, with Campagnolo on it. And tubulars...
POTD for me.

I hope ti is ok as it's still metal and the other two items are spot on!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 AM

IMO, Blown Reek is right on. Enjoy your activity, however you want, for whatever reasons motivate you. There's too much of this "rules" stuff being thrown around on the internet for my taste. That said, the first two posts are a great example of why I like this forum. The OP's post answered with a non-combative, well articulated counterpoint.

Last edited by earlfoss; 08-13-2018 at 09:16 AM.