Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo View Post
Up until four years ago, I had a 1978 Technics SL-D1 that worked great. Then my new kitten ate the wires. So I bought an Audio-Technica AP-1240usb. Got it at B&H Video for $389. Awesome sound! Better IMO than the Technics.
Do you still have the old one? Would be easy to fix, someone would want it...
Old 07-21-2018, 02:11 AM

My 1984? AR turntable has been great. This one has issues, but good ones are surely out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-Vintage-...from=R40&rt=nc
Old 07-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Registered (ab)User

Some good suggestions in this thread already; I would certainly endorse Rega, Pro-ject, Music Hall, or Thorens. if you can find an AR turntable in good condition that's a viable choice too.

Bang & Olufsen (B&O) is a good choice too, but with a significant caveat: Their cartridges are proprietary, and the folks who still sell NOS (or remanufactured?) B&O cartridges know they have a captive audience, so price gouging is rampant. The last time I went on the hunt for a new MMC5 cartridge -- which was their cheapest model that fit early/mid-1980s TTs, sold for less than $75 new at the time -- the best deal I could find was $250!!! (This would've been around 2005.)

I agree that a Technics SL-12xx is indestructible, but I think they (as well as the Denon direct-drive TTs) don't do a good job of isolating motor noise from the tonearm, so they impart too much of a "sound" to the record for me to like listening to them.

I think if I were going to buy a new TT today it would be either a Pro-ject or a Thorens.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:42 AM

Here's something to be aware of. I've heard that Shure has stopped producing new cartridges recently. Theres still a fair amount in the pipeline for sale but theyll eventually dry up.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:00 AM

Several of us have mentioned Pro-ject. Has anybody listened to (a system including) the Pro-ject Debut III? It's advertised at least at one shop at 250 bucks, with a cartridge, pre-adjusted, and packed so that it's ready to plug and play. I'm not looking for myself, but that's a sort of concrete suggestion that might be of use if somebody doesn't want to comb the used market or contemplate a trip down the audio rabbit hole. I might actually ponder something like that for my own older daughter, who has expressed some interest in LPs.

For my own kid, I'd want to avoid junk, but I'd also want to keep it simple. Others might be more into the gear.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:30 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Several of us have mentioned Pro-ject. Has anybody listened to (a system including) the Pro-ject Debut III? It's advertised at least at one shop at 250 bucks, with a cartridge, pre-adjusted, and packed so that it's ready to plug and play. I'm not looking for myself, but that's a sort of concrete suggestion that might be of use if somebody doesn't want to comb the used market or contemplate a trip down the audio rabbit hole. I might actually ponder something like that for my own older daughter, who has expressed some interest in LPs.

For my own kid, I'd want to avoid junk, but I'd also want to keep it simple. Others might be more into the gear.
I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, which has a few substantial upgrades compared to the Debut III. The Debut III is a solid turntable to start with, but there's certainly a few others I would cross-shop against in this price range if I were to buy new. Also, if you often switch between 33 and 45 RPM records keep in mind you'll have to manually change the placement of the belt. Not a big deal for some, but something to consider.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc53 View Post
Somewhat OT, but do any of you turntable aficionados know what model the stepfather in HBO's Sharp Objects (referenced by a previous poster) is playing? Also what are those electronics? Classe Audio?
Could you screen cap a photo? Not familiar with that show
Old 07-21-2018, 02:13 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc53 View Post
Somewhat OT, but do any of you turntable aficionados know what model the stepfather in HBO's Sharp Objects (referenced by a previous poster) is playing? Also what are those electronics? Classe Audio?
Turntable is VPI Prime with Sim Audio equipment.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks! I figured out the Sim Audio pieces finally, but that TT was unfamiliar. It’s really beautiful.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Here's something to be aware of. I've heard that Shure has stopped producing new cartridges recently. Theres still a fair amount in the pipeline for sale but theyll eventually dry up.
That's too bad. Seems ill timed with vinyl coming back. I've been using V15s for years.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:54 AM

We have a guy out here in San Diego that is pretty dialed in, Greg at Sea Level Sound. He might be able to help. Greg 619-548-2641 or sealevel@san.rr.com.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Al View Post
We have a guy out here in San Diego that is pretty dialed in, Greg at Sea Level Sound. He might be able to help. Greg 619-548-2641 or sealevel@san.rr.com.
Was checking out his FB page (No web site?) and saw all the cool vintage receivers...speaking of that...

Thread drift:

What do you folks like and/or run in vintage receivers?
Sherwood
Kenwood
Yamaha
Pioneer
Marantz
JVC
Realistic
Sony
Technics
Onkyo
Harmon Kardon
Other?

Btw, the hunt is on for a TT and we may add a receiver to the list.

William

Last edited by William; 07-23-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:52 PM

I"m partial to older Yamaha receivers and amps.

I've also had good service from older Technics gear.

Last edited by parris; 07-23-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:01 PM

I have one of these that I bought new. It's been good to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARP-Opton...LH_TitleDesc=0
Old 07-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

For vintage receivers I found old Kyocera integrated amp and receiver on eBay some years ago for my niece and nephew. I used to have a Kyocera integrated amp in the early 80's that had great sound. Both the niece and the nephew are still using the vintage models I found for them several years ago. I also found them Kyocera CD players which they both still use. The nephew subsequently bought a new $400 Rega TT that he uses with the Kyocera amp. The Kyocera just keeps on ticking. My brother still uses the Pioneer 25-watt receiver I had in college in 1973, which is also still working. So I recommend both those brands for longevity at least.