Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Wait, what turntable comes with a remote?
I wish I were completely joking - when I first set it up, it got to the end of the record, and I was sitting on my couch, looked around, thought 'man, it sure would be nice if this thing had a remote control to save me the bother of having to get up . . . .'
Not one of my finer moments. I'm a child of the CD and MP3 age.
So there are no remotes that I know of, but if anyone has some ideas, I'm all ears!
Old 07-19-2018, 04:34 PM
mentholated

get a turntable with an auto return tonearm.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:10 PM
I need you cool.

I had an old Sony PS-T22 back in the '80's that was great. Had a really nice Grado cartridge on it and I never complained....converted to CDs () and sold it to a buddy for a six pack. He is still using it....

Just saw one on ebay for about $80...
Old 07-19-2018, 07:02 PM

Music Hall and Rega both make excellent turntables. They have, like Shimano, many price points. My advice as a long time audiophile would be to consider looking for a good condition used one on the audiophile listings online- audiogon and audiomart. Do some research on good cartridges, the Needle Doctor has some well priced options there, as well as new turntables.

Take a little time to set up the turntable properly too-this affects the sound quite a bit. You should be able to find something great sounding between $200 and $500 all in. Sometimes even less!!

Enjoy the music
Old 07-19-2018, 10:26 PM

If you can find an old Technics direct drive table, get that and upgrade the cartridge and it will do just fine. In today's dollars it would take $2000+ to manufacture a mid grade technics deck from the 70's or 80's that you can buy for $200. They're not audiophile grade but they are damn close and they last FOREVER.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
If you can find an old Technics direct drive table, get that and upgrade the cartridge and it will do just fine. In today's dollars it would take $2000+ to manufacture a mid grade technics deck from the 70's or 80's that you can buy for $200. They're not audiophile grade but they are damn close and they last FOREVER.
This would be my suggestion if you’re comfortable buying used. I suggested rega planar 1 because I thought it would be easier to find that new and just buy.

If you want a step above I’d consider a vintage thorens like suggested above.

Personally I’m fond of the 125 mkii but I’m biased as I have one. I found mine for $300 but it was a LONG search.

Champagne taste on a beer budget....
Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 PM
shimergo

Agreed on finding a used Technics direct drive turntable. I'm fond of the SL-1XXX (1200, 1600, 1700, 1800 etc.) series and had a SL-1700 Mk1 back in the day. As someone mentioned earlier, the SL-1200 is legendary and can be "compared" to Shimano Dura Ace level.

Also, as others had mentioned, the Audio Technica AT-120 provides a lot of bang for the buck that you can occasionally find for <$300. It's a decent copy of the SL-1200 and has a built in preamp, so it's essentially plug and play.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Lots of info, thank you! The Forum collective never disappoints.

I have a vintage JVC receiver with a Phono input so I could go that route with a turntable. I saw the place in East Providence during a google search so I may run by there and check it out. I can also see there is a guy on the East Bay who seems to refurbish audio equipment and sell it on CL. He has a number of turntables listed from Technics to Bang & olufsen.

William
Old 07-20-2018, 10:26 AM

In your area, there may be some old AR turntables floating around, from Acoustical (?) Research in Cambridge. These were good quality. Getting a good needle is also key, as others have noted.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:14 AM

I just replaced my J.A. Michel Focus 1 with an Audio-Technica LP-120 with the standard cartridge. It sounds just fine, is a bit easier to use, and has some extra features. I had the Focus 1 for 30+ years and it was getting a little tired. Even the best mechanical devices wear enough with use that their performance deteriorates.

I agree that SOME people can detect the differences in sound among various turntables but I think they need to have pretty fine systems downstream to do so AND great recordings in mint condition. If your records and current system are not like that it's probably not worth going to a lot of trouble to find a used esoteric wonder-table and hope it and its cartridge/stylus are still performing like they did when new.

You may not need a table with built-in pre-amp now but if/when you replace your aged receiver most new surround sound A/V receivers lack built-in pre-amps and decent external ones cost $150 and up.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Somewhat OT, but do any of you turntable aficionados know what model the stepfather in HBO's Sharp Objects (referenced by a previous poster) is playing? Also what are those electronics? Classe Audio?
Old 07-20-2018, 12:22 PM

Check out Vinyl Nirvana. Mostly Thorens and AR restorations.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:28 PM

In 1968 I bought a total AR system: Integrated Amp, AR3a speakers, turntable with Shure V-15 cartridge which was regarded as one of the best at that time. The speakers were great for that time. The amp made disconcerting thumps when I turned it on/off. The TT was very poor tracking and the tonearm would bounce off the disc unless I was very careful walking across our wooden floor. I returned the amp twice for warranty repair to eliminate the thumps. AR couldn't fix it so I got my $$ back. AR sent me a printed sheet of instructions on how to disconnect the damping system on the tonearm to improve tracking. I sent it back too. I enjoyed the speakers until I replaced them with ADS 710 in the late 1970s.

I replaced the AR TT with a Dual 1019 which was better in every way.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:40 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmojo View Post
durable, choice of DJs for decades now
Another vote for Technics. I have the SL D2 (lower model) and, with an adequate cartridge I can listen to my ECM jazz records and love it.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:42 PM

Up until four years ago, I had a 1978 Technics SL-D1 that worked great. Then my new kitten ate the wires. So I bought an Audio-Technica AP-1240usb. Got it at B&H Video for $389. Awesome sound! Better IMO than the Technics.

Last edited by el cheapo; 07-20-2018 at 04:05 PM.