Old 07-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Thinking outside the box:
https://allsharktankproducts.com/sha...record-player/

Just kidding, but kinda funny!
Old 07-19-2018, 02:04 PM

Technics for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
Find a techniques 1200. they're indestructible... plus she can scratch on it too if she likes dj'ing.
durable, choice of DJs for decades now
Old 07-19-2018, 02:13 PM
mentholated

which one of those rega tables has you lift up the platter and change the belt location to switch between 33 and 45? i dont like that one.
i had a lowend stanton t-50 i got at guitar center for like $150 and it lasted almost a decade. i went through two geminis and an audio technica before i got whatever i have now. i forget the brand and im not at home.edit* its a vestax. its some 1200s direct drive knockoff.
i really wish some shut in hoarder would just give me a huge lump sum for all my records and cassettes.

Last edited by GOTHBROOKS; 07-19-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
which one of those rega tables has you lift up the platter and change the belt location to switch between 33 and 45? i dont like that one.
Probably most of them, including my P5.

Simple system. Less to break. Choose your compromise. Benefits outweigh the 3 seconds it takes to switch from 33 to 45.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:37 PM
mentholated

i own more than one record where each side plays at a different speed.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:37 PM

Needle Doctor is cool, very local to me (drive by yesterday) and HiFi Kenny is a good dude.

Rega and Pro-Ject offerings are very good for low mass quality starter tables, new or used.

VPI turntables are the best value in a step up and are high mass, which I prefer. An older HW-19 can be a good value, but this may not be in range $.

I have a couple of old B&O tables from the 80s when that was what I was running, but I would recommend a cheap Rega or Pro-ject over them.

May have missed, but did not see a budget or info on the rest of the system it would be integrated into. That perspective will help people dial in recommendations.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
i own more than one record where each side plays at a different speed.
Interesting. Forgot to qualify, benefits outweigh for me. YMMV and all that.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:47 PM

In East Providence

https://www.facebook.com/Stereo-Disc...2612517099534/

Stuart has been at this a long time and im sure has vintage in his stash. he just set my friend up with turntable/tv/video/speakers ect for his refurbished house
Old 07-19-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
i had a lowend stanton t-50 i got at guitar center for like $150 and it lasted almost a decade. i went through two geminis and an audio technica before i got whatever i have now. i forget the brand and im not at home. its some 1200s direct drive knockoff.
i really wish some shut in hoarder would just give me a huge lump sum for all my records and cassettes.
Seems like most modern belt drive tables require that now. The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon I had definitely had the same "feature." That's one of the benefits of the Denon DP-300F or U-Turn vs most of their competitors currently.

Last edited by jtbadge; 07-19-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:53 PM
mentholated

the cheapo t50 i had for so long was belt drive and you could press a button and switch between 33 and 45.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:03 PM

I don't know if this is too low end or not but I've always had good luck with the older Technics d.d. tables. The 1200 series is a seriously tough piece of gear with prices to match but the various lower end tables aren't a waste.

Vinyl engine and Audiokarma are a couple of decent forums that have a decent amount of info.

I've heard decent things about the Audio Technica table that goes in the $300.00 range which appears to be a Technics copy. The advantage of a new table like this one is that several models have a built in preamp. I think several of them can also play right into a computer. Good luck finding something!
Old 07-19-2018, 03:30 PM

+1 for UTurn, I like mine a lot.
Kinda bummed it didn't come with a remote though.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex View Post
+1 for UTurn, I like mine a lot.
Kinda bummed it didn't come with a remote though.
Wait, what turntable comes with a remote?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:47 PM

IME... it is important to have a good turntable but pretty much anything at high up used level will work ok, but as with stereos in which a good set of speakers is must, in turntables we noticed back in the day that a good capsule and needle made a big difference even in low end stereos from back in the day.

You can find turntables that are USB now and probably work as good as the high end ones a radio station could use.

Noticed in best buy that they are selling vinyl stuff.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Rega and Project make good entry level turntables in a bundle that includes the tonearm and cartridge. But you can't play vinyl without a phono preamp to plug the turntable into. In the old days, receivers had a "phono" input that was all you needed. These days, you have to buy a separate phono preamp box of some sort that in turn plugs into your receiver/amp. Just make sure your budget includes all the parts you will need! You can't just plug a turntable into an input for a CD or DVD player, it won't work.