Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
I figured. Just teasing.

It’d probably fit your inseam better than mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars View Post
That email came from "D2R2 2018<mail@bikereg.com>" yesterday at 3pm

Can you provide the text from the tips and information email? I registered after the 6th and didn't get the email. If it's too long let me know and I'll PM you my email address if you don't mind...
Angry beat me to it.

Odd, I got the “tips” from bikereg--but not the waiver.

As a public service, can someone post if any other info comes from bikereg?

thanks
Old 08-14-2018, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso View Post
Angry beat me to it.

Odd, I got the “tips” from bikereg--but not the waiver.

As a public service, can someone post if any other info comes from bikereg?

thanks
perhaps if you registered later, the waiver was already included in the original reg?
Old 08-14-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
perhaps if you registered later, the waiver was already included in the original reg?
Registered in April, not my first D2R2 Rodeo…oh well, I’m sure Sandy will let me know when I’m there.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:15 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso View Post
I got the “tips” from bikereg--but not the waiver.
Same here.

Oh well...
Old 08-14-2018, 05:31 PM
ZhugeLiang

Old 08-15-2018, 08:45 AM

Latest email update, 8/15 around 8:30AM:

Hi Folks,

Just a couple days until you all arrive for D2R2. I hope you are as excited as we are!

MAPS, CUES & GPS
A few more road closures here so if you downloaded the cue sheets and gps files prior to 8/8, please do it again!

Map, Cues, .fit files: http://www.franklinlandtrust.org/d2r2-courses

Ride with GPS D2R2 page: https://ridewithgps.com/events/61956-d2r2-2018

The Registration tent is located in a slightly different spot this year (same road), so please come in on Child’s Cross Road to the intersection of Mill Village Road, Deerfield, MA. It will ease traffic flow in the wee hours of Saturday morning. Please be aware that cyclists will be approaching the registration area from many directions, so keep an eye out, especially in the early morning.

Cyclists/campers: please bring a light so we can see you coming!

PARTY
You’re all welcome to pick up your packets Friday from 2-9pm and join the party. We will have a bonfire and music. There will be beer from People’s Pint as well as pulled pork, peanut noodles, coleslaw and cookies. Tito’s Taqueria will be onsite with tacos and burritos and Wicked Awesome will have made-to-order pizzas. You don’t need to camp with us to enjoy the pre-ride party!

MEALS
Three meals are included in your registration price for all but the Family Ride. The Family ride only includes lunch but breakfast and dinner tickets may be purchased separately.

Breakfast will be served on the registration field from 5am-9am - Eggs, oatmeal, yogurt and granola, muffins, pastries, bagels, coffee, tea and juice.

Lunch will be served along the route – turkey, ham or hummus sandwiches, pasta salad, quinoa salad, chips, fruit, cookies, soda and water.

Dinner will be served from 2-9pm back at the registration field – grilled chicken, mac & cheese, pulled pork, ratatouille, tossed salad, corn bread, rolls and apple crisp.

CHECKPOINTS
Typical checkpoint food includes, fruit, PB&J, cookies, hardboiled eggs, Clif bars, pickles, and candy. There will be water, pickle juice and Heed.

MYSTERY RIDERS
I’m not going to name checkpoints but you will also have the basic assortment of items shown above. With a surprise or two thrown in. You will also want to have some cash in your pockets for treats along the way.

Both mystery rides have 3 food checkpoints (miles 26, 72 and 85 for the long mystery and miles 26, 55 and 68 for the short), a lunch stop (mile 47), and an additional water-only stop (mile 8).

TIMING
Even though this is not a race, we will be providing bibs for your handlebars and do ask that you start/end your ride by going over the timing mats located at the finish/start line. For us, this provides a safety measure so we know that you all made it home! (we do call emergency phone numbers if we can’t find you!) For you, you are welcome to check your “results” at VelocityResults.com after the ride.

ROAD CONDITIONS (Thank you Pamela Blalock!)
Since the last status update, we’ve have continued to be deluged with thunderstorms and flash floods. Both those who have a water bottle half-full and water bottle half-empty outlook can take heart from this. The grass and leaves are a vibrant green. The sound of flowing water will be a constant companion. OTOH, some of that water can take the form of a stream crisscrossing down the road towards you. The going is soft, so lower gears will be appreciated. Did we mention the going is soft? So wide tires with some knobs, won’t go astray. While climbs are soft, descents are hard. Washouts, wasboard and sinkholes abound. Even paved descents call for extra attention, with lots of debris washed across the road, especially in corners. New brake pads are probably a good idea.

This is not intended to scare anyone. Thanks to conditions, this year promises to be memorable. Just use a wee bit more caution, so all those memories are good.

More specifics:

Sunday morning, a group of us rode up Old Albany, the first climb on the 100k route. Today it was a full on stream bed, with lots of gullies, lots of soft spots, and water rushing down all over. It was mostly rideable with cushy tires, but I had my skinny 42s and had to stop a few times. Prior PRs, KOMs and QOMs should be safe on this climb.

We’ve ridden lots of the other roads in the past couple of weeks, and conditions continue to deteriorate after each of our daily afternoon thunderstorms.

Some other roads of note:

After being in great shape last year, the East Hill descent on the 160 is back to be a washed out gully. The top part is fast, but don’t get caught out. It rapidly turns to gnar.

The Deer Park descent features on several of the routes. At the best of times, it deserves respect. That’s even more so this year.

The bottom of Cooper Lane, the paved portion, ha ha, is in bits.

Basically all descents are suspect. Dirt roads are loose, and some have gullies. Many paved roads have dirt, sand and rocks washed across them in unpredictable places.

Two roads that are improved from last year are Stillwater and Peckville. Both of these have glorious new pavement.

For context, My bike will sport 650b x 48mm tires, disk brakes and a lower than 1:1 gear. John is using even bigger tires, just because he can!

*** SPECIAL SAFETY NOTE
We have located a very dangerous and poisonous plant called Giant Hogweed
Giant hogweed is an invasive plant that can cause severe burns if you come into contact with it. It has been found along the banks of the Green River in Vermont (not far from the Guilford Covered Bridge). It is a very large plant (6-15’ tall) with a hollow stem with coarse hairs, raised nodules, and often has purple blotches. The hairy leaves are very large, and if it’s blooming, has dramatic flat-topped white flowers up to 2’ in diameter. Please use caution if you plan to take a dip in the river!

START TIMES
180K – 6am
160K – 7am
LONG/SHORT MYSTERY RIDES: 7:30am
115K – 8am
100K – 9am
SHORT MYSTERY RIDE – 9:30am
GREEN RIVER TOUR – 10am
FAMILY RIDE – 10am beginning at 40 North Green River Road, Colrain

RAFFLE & MERCHANDISE
If you pre-ordered merchandise, it will be waiting for you at the Merch table. We also ordered extra of everything offered on BikeReg so if you didn’t pre-order – come see us.
Plus, raffle tickets for the Firefly Bicycle will be available right up until we draw the winner at 6pm!

CHALLENGE
Many riders donated to the Franklin Land Trust when they signed up for their registration. THANK YOU! Each dollar helps us save this beautiful landscape that you all come to enjoy at D2R2! A local rider has offered a $5K challenge, if we can raise 5K from our D2R2 riders, he will match it dollar for dollar. So far we have raised $1,500! The ladies at the merchandise table can take credit card donations, should you wish to help us reach that 5K and save more land.

LAST MINUTE

Pretty much from here on out, we will be out on the fields getting things ready. Any last minute route changes, camping reservations, rider additions, etc… will have to be handled on the field on Friday or pre-ride on Saturday.

See you in Deerfield!

~Mary & Sandy

Old 08-15-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Edit: bets hedged. New tires ordered with 2-day ship option.
Same. Trying to squeeze some 30mm Ritchey Alpines into the rear triangle of my Road Logic!
Old 08-15-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
the mud is not the one who will be damned when one rides filed slicks in the mud.

So can we assume you are no longer advocating 30-32 mm tires with minimal tread as being ideal for D2R2?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
So can we assume you are no longer advocating 30-32 mm tires with minimal tread as being ideal for D2R2?
not when it is super muddy. More importantly than width, you are going to need tread to up some those hills.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:32 PM
aka RAEKWON

I think everyone is getting way too freaked out about this. It will be fine
Old 08-15-2018, 02:41 PM

https://zippy.gfycat.com/TenderFoolishAuklet.webm
Old 08-15-2018, 02:50 PM

For the 180k start, is there any reason one cannot roll out before the 6AM scheduled start? I know for the later routes it is no problem to roll ahead of schedule (timing mats are already in place by then...) but not sure how early they'll be out.

As a typical early bird, I wouldn't mind being underway by 5/5:15 to get a jump on the big day. Anyone done this before?
Old 08-15-2018, 03:02 PM

Though I havent done D2R2 in a few years, I still get excited reading about about it here then checking the pictures on the net afterwards

Last edited by pinkshogun; 12-12-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I think everyone is getting way too freaked out about this. It will be fine
Sure- I've been "fine" in similar conditions with 42 and 48 slicks or side knobs (or even 32's). But there is no reason not to ride the optimal tire for the conditions if you have the choice, and to monitor the weather to plan for it. I wouldnt call that freaking out.