Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2018, 10:40 PM

Looks like a capable, modern integrated. A nice start for a music system. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
It's an HK6350R Integrated Amplifier. Both the price and the condition were very good so I picked it up. I set it up temporarily with a Sony CD player and old Fisher speakers to test it. Speakers are way underpowered for it but even so I was impressed by the clarity. Still hunting for a turntable and speakers to mate to it.

Power output: 60 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 0.5Hz to 150kHz

Damping factor: 65

Input sensitivity: 0.12mV (MC), 2.2mV (MM), 135mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 76dB (MC), 80dB (MM), 98dB (line)

William
Old 08-02-2018, 10:56 PM

Find a Denon DP-51L thru 60L. They're fabulous and they're on the 'Bay.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Any tricks or methods for cleaning your vinyl? Going through my old collection I can see quite a few could use a good cleaning. Youtub has a plethora of videos on different methods from the elaborate high dollar cleaners, to DIY, to plain old scary.

William
Old 08-14-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Any tricks or methods for cleaning your vinyl? Going through my old collection I can see quite a few could use a good cleaning. Youtub has a plethora of videos on different methods from the elaborate high dollar cleaners, to DIY, to plain old scary.

William
Check with the folks at Needle Doctor for info, gizmos, and supplies.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Yeah, give them a call. Nitty Gritty used to make a very reasonably-priced vacuum record cleaner but their prices crept up -- they're now about 500 bucks on up, although you might find a used one for much less. Pro-ject makes one for about the same price, and VPI has even more expensive models. I'm not saying it's not worth it for a record collection that means something to you, but it is an expense. There's another company selling something for about 200 bucks, but I don't have any experience with that machine at all. Less expensive hand cleaning -- no vacuum -- Mobile Fidelity makes a good wet dry brush and sells fluid for it. There are other variations on the hand clean, no vacuum approach -- not sure what the better choices are these days, but if it's just an occasional record, you can hand clean them. Then if you store them well just a decent brush. .

Last edited by djg; 08-14-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:07 AM

Most people say the automatic record cleaners are worth it, but they've gotten ridiculously expensive for my wallet. I use the Disc Doctor's products and do it by hand. Beat up records are hard on a cartridge, so with a lot of records it's better to keep an eye out for a new, clean copy. Steve at Round Again is meticulous about quality and a lot of his records are $3-4.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
The main guy behind the Needle Doctor for the past couple decades (IIRC) is a friend and part of my local audio circle. You can go cheaper (manual) or more expensive (ultrasonic), but I believe he recommends the Okki Nokki for value at the dedicated cleaner level. I just checked out our mutual friend's cleaner a couple of nights ago and he thought it was a better value and as good or better than the similar VPI version.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:12 PM

Needle Doctor recently bragged about some lowered prices on cleaners and one entry-level model that had the same vacuum system as the expensive units but requires turning the record manually.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:54 PM

Bringing this back. I've been doing more with turntables lately. A good friemd had me take his "broken" turntable to see if i could do anything with it. I mounted a decent cartridge and its been running great for a few weeks. It also has me wanting a new table better than waht i have right now.

Part of the desire is because spinning records is fun. Another reason is because when i bring the turntable back to him he's got a good Shure v-15 cartridge that he's since found and is going to give it to me. Gotta love first world problems!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Bringing this back. I've been doing more with turntables lately. A good friemd had me take his "broken" turntable to see if i could do anything with it. I mounted a decent cartridge and its been running great for a few weeks. It also has me wanting a new table better than waht i have right now.

Part of the desire is because spinning records is fun. Another reason is because when i bring the turntable back to him he's got a good Shure v-15 cartridge that he's since found and is going to give it to me. Gotta love first world problems!
Find ya a Denon DP-60L. A friend has one and it's stunning to look at and plays as good as it looks.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:28 AM

Good morning Jeff. It's funny that you mention the Denon table because theresa lower model of the same vintage on the local CL.

I've been leaning toward one of the new 1200 sl models to be honest.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:54 AM
Administrator

I recently picked up a totally refurbished SL-1700 direct drive TT. Really enjoying this right now...

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tec1.jpg (75.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Tec2.jpg (66.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-07-2019, 10:12 AM

Nice. I’ve had a couple of belt drives and am currently running an idler drive Dual 1009, but definitely have an eye for direct drive SL-1600/1700/1800 for the more stable speed.

Last edited by jtbadge; 07-07-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:47 AM

This past winter I was about to buy a new Pro-ject turntable from the local shop. The salesperson and I were talking about gear when the subject of buying the turntable came up. He asked several very good qualifying questions. When I told him I had a basic Technics DD table he told me to save my money and maybe think about a new cartridge due to how good even the lower line of Technics turntables are. He went on to say that he wished he could a hundred of them because he'd have no trouble selling every last one.

That conversation is what got me to look at the various sl turntables. It also saved me money. I highly recommend that shop for anyone looking for good gear.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:43 PM
Registered (ab)User

From a purely sonic perspective the Technics turntables are nothing to write home about. But they are like cockroaches: They will outlast everything else you currently own, survive nuclear war, and keep playing. The proverbial brick ****house...which is not a phrase one associates with turntables of any pedigree.