Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraudingWalrus View Post
One of these days I'll grab a titanium stem, as well - although I'm not looking forward to the task of drilling a hole in that for an etube wire to pop through. I've temporarily liberated a steback Thomson post from my father's bike while w're messing around with the fit on his bike to try and help correct some issues he's having so that has staved off my grabbing of a ti seatpost as well.
Since you're comfortable with ordering Chinese Ti, I'll mention that I've been happy with a stem and seatpost from eBay seller "justeasyday2020", here: https://www.ebay.com/str/justeasyday2020, for future reference. (I don't know if Waltly does components, so I'm not advocating one versus another.)
Old 08-14-2018, 07:03 PM

Officially you're not supposed to run more than a few centimeters of spacers under a stem on a carbon steerer, right? Or is that no longer the case? Regardless, it doesn't seem to have been an issue for you, right?

Cool bike, man.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Officially you're not supposed to run more than a few centimeters of spacers under a stem on a carbon steerer, right? Or is that no longer the case? Regardless, it doesn't seem to have been an issue for you, right?

Cool bike, man.
Each brand of fork has their own max spacer amount. This is at whatever that was for this fork, and so far hasn't killed me.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Since you're comfortable with ordering Chinese Ti, I'll mention that I've been happy with a stem and seatpost from eBay seller "justeasyday2020", here: https://www.ebay.com/str/justeasyday2020, for future reference. (I don't know if Waltly does components, so I'm not advocating one versus another.)
Yes, I've been scoping them out. Both waltly and Titan do stems. I'll probably go that route if I do it.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:25 PM

Just picked up a stem from Titan from FedEx. Will post a couple photos once I get it open over on my thread about Titan. Once I get it drilled for Di2 and on this bike I'll put pictures of that here.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:01 PM

Got the stem drilled for Di2, hopefully I don't die.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:37 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

any updates?

M
Old 03-22-2021, 06:12 PM

Tubing?

How did u figure out tubing size and shape? Or did you let Waltly decide?
Old 04-27-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminglin View Post
How did u figure out tubing size and shape? Or did you let Waltly decide?
I am sorry I didn't see this any earlier.

They offer a variety of options for shape, I went with round because I didn't see any reason to do anything else. As far as size (diameter and thickness) I told them my approximate weight at the time (heavy) and that I'd be riding it on mixed surfaces and we settled on a slightly thicker than they normally do in each given spot straight gauge of tubing. Butting and thinner in general were options, but for peace of mind I kept it simple and beefy.

As far as other general updates:
Bike has been great, and continues to be great. I rode a lot during early pandemic times (spring and summer of 2020) as I was working from home or not working, and then moved to a new area (Augusta, GA) and bought a house about .3 miles from the N. Augusta Greeneway, with easy access to a beautiful clay road along the Augusta canal. The bike has sat since I got sick with Covid in september, as I am very much a covid long-hauler at this point.

Went for about a five mile ride a couple days ago and noticed my brakes were basically not there, and my Di2 was down to 10% battery. All this is fair as I hadn't charged the bike in probably over a year, and I'd never bled the brakes. Given I'd have to bleed the brakes and always wanted a set of Hope RX4s, I just ordered a set.

Hopefully by the time I get them in, installed, and bled I can go for a five mile bike ride without nearly dying from extreme tachycardia and low blood O2%.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the input and glad you're on the mend!
Old 04-28-2021, 07:12 AM

Get better, MW - lord knows what shenanigans have been occurring without walruses marauding!