Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 10:58 PM

So I'm guessing this is a music recommendation thread as apposed to title. It's all good, thinking more along the ear worm aspect I can't get "Walking in LA" out of my head. It's been playing there for a week now and I can't think of any way I heard it before that.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:09 PM

Elo

Mrs Valley and I are seeing Jeff Lynne's ELO at MSG next week.

Over the weekend, I turned on Amazon Prime, and there's the concert from last October.

Nearly all of the songs go through my head.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzer View Post
So I'm guessing this is a music recommendation thread as apposed to title. It's all good, thinking more along the ear worm aspect I can't get "Walking in LA" out of my head. It's been playing there for a week now and I can't think of any way I heard it before that.

Today it's a throw back to Summertime in the 70's stuck in there....

The visuals in the video help... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBnSWJHawQQ

William
Old 08-14-2018, 03:14 PM

White Stripes

I know it dates me, but I was listening to live "Ball and Biscuit' while mowing my lawn and damn, it is pretty great. I chuckled when he was lumped into that doc called 'It Might Get Loud', but he is an innovator in the genre of blues rock and WS makes a lot of great noise for a two piece band.

Also, I have a soft spot for them because my wife listened to the White Stripes on her iphone to 'get in the zone' while she was in labour with our daughter It was so loud I could hear it through the headphones and she just kept breathing and bobbing her head to the music.

It's my 14th anniversary today!!
Old 08-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquer View Post
Whatever's stuck there, if its a problem, science offers a solution:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...lution/274333/
According to music psychologist Ira Hyman, who recently published a paper on earworm science in the journal Applied Cognitive Psychology, songs function much like puzzles in our brains: Music is catchy because its patterns and rhythms engage our minds like a crossword puzzle would. Listening to it -- really hearing songs' lyrics, particularly when they come in the form of a repetitive chorus -- requires some concentration, but not much of it. The stylings of Carly Rae Jepsen (and Beyonc�, and Rihanna, and Gaga, and The Beatles) fall into that cognitive sweet spot of attention and inattention, making them especially sticky. Oh-oh-oh.

Music is different from puzzles, though, in one significant way: While puzzles can be solved -- the crossword gets filled in, the anagrams get de-jumbled -- songs have no obvious solution. So they stay. And stay. And stay. Haunting and taunting and put-a-ring-ing in our ears.

But there may, scientists say, be a way to stop them. Hyman and his colleagues figured that if earworms function like puzzles, they might be vanquished by puzzles, too. After conducting tests on a group of (hopefully extremely well-compensated) test subjects, the researchers determined that cognitive subterfuge is the best way to rid the mind of sticky songs. To defeat an earworm, they suggest, you just have to fool your brain into solving another puzzle -- a non-musical puzzle. The best way to do that? Give it actual puzzles to concentrate on. Do a quick crossword. Tackle an anagram. Spend a few minutes, even, reading a novel. Replace the earworm with another worm, tricking your mind out of its need to finish what it started by giving it something else -- something simple, but not too simple -- to focus on.

Solving anagrams might not always be the best way to spend your time, sure. But it's a small price to pay. And -- this is crazy -- much, much better than having "Call Me Maybe" stuck in your head all day.
That explains why I keep getting Wham! songs stuck in my head. Phew. I was really worried for the last six years. Not sure it explains why Duran Duran's Seven and The Ragged Tiger plays like a soundtrack, but at least I'm working through a process of elimination ...
Old 08-17-2018, 11:12 AM

Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive

Has been stuck for the past 4 days.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:42 AM
Classics Fan

This could probably go in the best bassline thread, even though it is guitar... Murderers by John F.. Which is a godsend, since this song was stuck in my head for like a week after hearing it on a baby music playlist.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:53 PM

If you haven't seen the newly released video on DirecTV or elsewhere of Jeff Lynne's ELO Wembly or Bust 2017 concert, treat yourself, immerse yourself, or whatever, but do it.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:43 PM

Just danced my 5mo old to sleep to some sweet jams courtesy of Hall & Oates. Whatever works these days!
Old 08-18-2018, 05:43 AM

came for the song, stayed for the video.....Gary Clark Jr.
https://youtu.be/2XITBuWNROk
Old 09-16-2018, 01:16 PM

Shark Toys - Something Something Else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMaG9G9kY0Q
Old 09-16-2018, 04:30 PM

When I was a kid, my Dad used to get SO angry with me when I'd do that with his cello. Haven't thought about it in years.

I love you, Dad! And miss you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joev View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9FzVhw8_bY

Sometimes you just click on the wrong link. Now this will be with me for a few days...

I found this once before, now again at random! Truly subliminal! Didn't I get here from a link somewhere else in this thread?

Trippy evening I am having.....
Old 09-16-2018, 05:41 PM

GØGGS - Pre Strike Sweep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmslF1Todac
Old 09-17-2018, 07:11 AM
Administrator

After recently listening to the full album this track has been stuck in my head. This is also one of the songs l like to play for evaluating audio equipment...

La Villa Strangiato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNilsLf6eW4

William
Old 09-17-2018, 09:59 AM

I came across this article the other day so I've been on a Van Halen kick this weekend. I started learning Jamie's Crying on the guitar so that's stuck in my head.

http://www.vhnd.com/2018/09/05/all-1...-songs-ranked/