Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 10:08 AM

OT: Military retirees TRDP is ending Updated Information on page 2

In case some of you missed the news. The Tricare Retiree Dental Program is being terminated on 31 Dec 2018. There is an option to join the federal employee plan if qualified. Information can be found at the Tricare website:
tricare.benefeds.com

Last edited by semdoug; 08-16-2018 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Update
Old 08-13-2018, 11:26 AM

IM not military but, doesnt look like a good news.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:18 PM

Constant changes to our retirement "benefits". I keep seeing news about this but have never been officially notified. I do need to figure this out as I already carry a plan under my current federal job and used the TRDP as a secondary. Hopefully I can still carry too as dental is my biggest concern health-wise.

I've already been forced to quit using the local pharmacy for my refills on maintenance meds. Now have to do a 60 mile RT run to the base and use their pharmacy that's only open during work hours. So I have to take leave to get my meds. Tried using the home delivery program but after repeated attempts to get my stuff turned into them we gave up. I actually watched my DR turn in their forms, done to their standards to Express Scripts (or whatever the name is now) twice only to have them rejected.

Being retired from the military is no longer all it's cracked up to be. Don't even get this 50% disabled vet started on the joke called the VA.....
Old 08-13-2018, 01:44 PM

Dental plans are not covered in the brunt of private industry retiree health plans, and I see no reason why they should be covered military retiree plan (and I am ex-military). Oral damage, from duties, action or whatever, are covered under the military health plan. Routine and restorative services from age should be covered by a private plan, just like I carry - and many others.

A veteran being discharged is entitled to one free examination and whatever else is required a healthy mouth. There is no reason an individual should not be responsible for maintaining his oral hygiene and health.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:18 PM

Way back in the 70's everyone that served in the military was "promised" full healthcare upon 20 year retirement for honorable service. Those were the days when serving in the military wasn't the same as today when people say "thank you for your service." Recruiters used this as an incentive with the all voluntary force because most people wanted nothing to do with the military after Vietnam. Heck... healthcare was supposed to be free and there was no mention of co-pays. The government flat out lied.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:57 PM

I'm retired military and I use my employer dental plan that is an $18/month deduction from my pay. That's the deluxe plan with a 20% share on crowns. I never counted on dental as part of my retirement without paying for it. If you're in the VA system, most clinics offer dental.

As far as prescriptions, CVS dropped Tricare and now I can only get 30 day fills at Walgreens. I moved my prescriptions to VA mail order and get 90 day fills with no out of pocket costs. At the clinic I can get immediate stuff like BP and arthritis meds, the maintenance stuff like statins is mailed.

As far as retired medical, I was 47 when I retired with 27 years. I went back to work as an engineer so I combined my Tricare with BCBS from work and had no out of pocket costs. Tricare paid the shared. The negative is having Tricare means you can't have an HSA and many employers are moving towards those plans while eliminating PPO types. Now that my son is gone to the Naval Academy and I won't have a wife in a month, for my new job I'm going to try Tricare/VA to see how it works for a few months. The VA clinic in Kingman, AZ is a mile from my house and my health is good. If it's not all that, I'll elect BCBS from work in October and pay the $250 or so a month in my cost for an individual.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I won't have a wife in a month
Above and beyond the dental stuff, sorry to hear this.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Constant changes to our retirement "benefits". I keep seeing news about this but have never been officially notified. I do need to figure this out as I already carry a plan under my current federal job and used the TRDP as a secondary. Hopefully I can still carry too as dental is my biggest concern health-wise.

I've already been forced to quit using the local pharmacy for my refills on maintenance meds. Now have to do a 60 mile RT run to the base and use their pharmacy that's only open during work hours. So I have to take leave to get my meds. Tried using the home delivery program but after repeated attempts to get my stuff turned into them we gave up. I actually watched my DR turn in their forms, done to their standards to Express Scripts (or whatever the name is now) twice only to have them rejected.

Being retired from the military is no longer all it's cracked up to be. Don't even get this 50% disabled vet started on the joke called the VA.....
Retired USN here and I got something in the mail with an alternative.

I have used Express scripts for years...$40 per day in pills for me, but they are all free..I'd try again.

BTW-I'm Now Medicare and TriCare for life so my medical coverage for me and wife costs about $400 a month or so, no co-pays, no deductible. Before that, TriCare, same gig, just less expensive. I'm not here saying retirement benefits haven't been eroded but retiring at 42(25 years ago), with (generous)pension, healthcare..can't really complain.

Thanks for your service, BTW...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-14-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:16 AM

i have to agree that stinks

if only b/c I wasn't notified, and my work open enrollment closed in july so i may have a gap in coverage if the very basic plan i chose as an augment turns out to be less than needed. I have also seen many, many situations where dental hygiene was difficult to nearly impossible (can remember a few field exercises where there was sunscreen and mandatory sock changes, but no toothpaste or floss) so can see the argument that some veteran will have ongoing dental health issues that are a direct result of service conditions
Old 08-14-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Dental plans are not covered in the brunt of private industry retiree health plans, and I see no reason why they should be covered military retiree plan (and I am ex-military). Oral damage, from duties, action or whatever, are covered under the military health plan. Routine and restorative services from age should be covered by a private plan, just like I carry - and many others.

A veteran being discharged is entitled to one free examination and whatever else is required a healthy mouth. There is no reason an individual should not be responsible for maintaining his oral hygiene and health.
In addition to coming off as a bit hostile and bitter this post leaves me with the impression you think TRDP is some sort of free, super-terrific, Cadillac dental plan. It is not. We pay monthly premiums and patient share for most services. I consider it a reasonable dental plan when compared to other civilian and/or employer shared plans, somewhere between not cheap and not expensive.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semdoug View Post
In addition to coming off as a bit hostile and bitter this post leaves me with the impression you think TRDP is some sort of free, super-terrific, Cadillac dental plan. It is not. We pay monthly premiums and patient share for most services. I consider it a reasonable dental plan when compared to other civilian and/or employer shared plans, somewhere between not cheap and not expensive.
LOL, beat me too it.

I'm glad for what I do get, and have earned. I would have served whether the benefits were there or not.

I
Old 08-14-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Retired USN here and I got something in the mail with an alternative.

I have used Express scripts for years...$40 per day in pills for me, but they are all free..I'd try again.

BTW-I'm Now Medicare and TriCare for life so my medical coverage for me and wife costs about $400 a month or so, no co-pays, no deductible. Before that, TriCare, same gig, just less expensive. I'm not here saying retirement benefits haven't been eroded but retiring at 42(25 years ago), with (generous)pension, healthcare..can't really complain.

Thanks for your service, BTW...
Oh I'm totally with you. The retirement alone covers my mortgage and car payment plus some and I really have no other bills.

I know I'll have to go to Medicare once I hit that age but right now I pay for a Tricare supplement and between the two I'm usually totally covered. I haven't paid a cent for all the medical service after the dog wrecked me this winter. Separated AC joint, jacked thumb, etc. The dog owner's opened up an insurance claim for me but since it's not cost me anything I haven't needed to use it.

I can also thank the military for getting me into bikes. By killing my knees, back and left foot it drove me from running to bikes!

Thanks for your service too Pete. I have no regrets about the time in. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
LOL, beat me too it.

I'm glad for what I do get, and have earned. I would have served whether the benefits were there or not.

I
and you beat me!!
Old 08-14-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:

What an ignorant and high-handed response to a civil and informative thread.

You served in the Russian military, maybe?
Old 08-14-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:

LOL, we are talking about a plan we do PAY FOR. Just like the plan I pay for in the civilian sector too. It's not like it's free....