Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 06:48 PM

I think the pro4 endurance and krylion 2 (basically the same thing) are great tires, EXCEPT that they are tough to mount.
I have ridden many miles on them for the past 5 or so years, and preferred their feel to the continental GP4000S and 4 seasons, and found them harder wearing than the Vredestein sensos...

You guys do have me curious about the vittoria G line. I may actually try the smooth gravel kings as well, as I have the SKs and find them pretty good on my CX. my ideal tire would be 30-31mm actual and a bit higher volume, easier mounting. not sure what fits the bill...
Old 08-13-2018, 06:56 PM

Schwalbe Pro One or Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik, haven't needed tools so far. I've also tried the Corsa G+ and didn't really like them because the sidewalls held dirt and weren't easy to clean like a regular rubber sidewall but also because they were quite prone to cuts.

Last edited by VTR1000SP2; 08-13-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:26 PM

I found that Schwalbe and Vredsteins are easiest to mount on any rim. Plus they wear well and are fairly supple.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 PM

I've been really happy with the Corsa G+. Really nice ride, great grip in corners. My 25 Corsa G+ measure 28mm on Bontrager XXX carbon wheels
Old 08-14-2018, 10:10 AM

Been riding the Continental GP 4000's for years and really love the ride. Extremely durable getting about 4000 miles out of a pair rotating them every 1000 miles
Old 08-14-2018, 10:59 AM

Thanks all for the insight and suggestions. I went ahead and ordered the Corsa G+ in all black 25's. It was helpful that a couple of you pointed out that the 25's measured 27 or 28.

Over the years I've developed biases (no pun intended) about certain tires. I've never had good luck or liked Continentals, so they weren't in the running. Before I switched to Michelins some 10 years ago I had some Hutchinsons that were terrible in wet conditions and not very good in dry. Vredesteins were just so so in my experience and I had some Panaracers that had bad sidewalls. OTOH, I've had pretty good luck with Vittorias and they have always been easy to mount/dismount, though mileage was sometimes sketchy. Time will tell how this experiment goes. BTW, all the tires mentioned were premium models, not low end. Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:29 PM

I don't think you'll have a problem with the Corsa G+, but if for whatever reason its tight, use zipties. I learned about using them for the tightest ever friggin tubular once and it worked like a charm. Just ziptie the tire bit by bit and just pull over the last part. So much easier than tearing up your palms. Yes, its a bit of a waste, but when you're ready to throw your Enve out the window...