Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2018, 06:46 PM

Have the Yeti 50. Prefer the shape over the 45 for coolers in that size range. Has been great for big road trips West.

I have heard good things about the Pelican coolers as well.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 PM

Cabelas. Cost less. Work as well as any as the big guns.
https://www.fieldandstream.com/artic...d-and-reviewed
I have two of them.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:47 PM
coffee consumer

out to lunch with some buddies 15 years ago and went to this dive burger joint and next door was a pop-up flea market. Saw a rather large, rolling rubbermaid cooler they had priced at $10...I offered $5, they declined...I walked...they chased me down to say $5 was OK. I've been offered $50 for it on several occasions!

I'd never really thought about the thermodynamics of coolers until I read a tip from Yeti about pre-cooling your cooler and then everything made sense about managing your cold. It takes a lot to get a cooler cold, but once its there, it and everything in it stays cold. In the middle of hot Bama summer mine has kept ice for days. The Yeti and RTic are really nice....but if I was in the search, I'd look for an old green steel Coleman like we had at scout camp. Steel is real!
Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 AM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
Have the Yeti 50. Prefer the shape over the 45 for coolers in that size range. Has been great for big road trips West.

I have heard good things about the Pelican coolers as well.
I have a Pelican. It's a great cooler. Works as well as any of the others. The only drawback is that sucker is heavy when it's empty, like 26lbs or somesuch. Fill it up and you need a couple of people to move it around. It would survive a 50cal machine gun barrage though. Hella stout.

As others have said, any of the top coolers will work fine. You just gotta precool them.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:06 AM

Kind of funny that i've narrowed it down to two brands that I didn't initially list...

Orion 55
Orca 58
Old 07-31-2018, 10:08 AM

My BIL has the Orca 58 and loves it. My only gripes on it vs a yeti of similar size is that its much taller. It doesn't have rubber feet, but the mesh pocket on the back is cool. Also, made in USA.

Other gripe - no one seems to keep them in stock but you can get 20% off from bed bath and beyond.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
My BIL has the Orca 58 and loves it. My only gripes on it vs a yeti of similar size is that its much taller. It doesn't have rubber feet, but the mesh pocket on the back is cool. Also, made in USA.

Other gripe - no one seems to keep them in stock but you can get 20% off from bed bath and beyond.
Agreed. They are sold out a lot i've noticed! I really wanted the Orange.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:31 AM
Administrator

i dont own one of the new crop of ultra expensive ones, but if i did, i would want one with wheels. they're pretty hefty empty and loaded they are not easy to move. wheels would be a must for me. just a thought.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:53 AM

I bought a Yeti roadie at REI six or so months ago. Went during one of the garage sales and was walking through in the line and there was one of the Tundras 65s a few feet in front of me. They had the tundra 65 that had been returned for whatever reason for the same price as the new Roadie 20 I was going to buy. My girlfriend was working hard to convince me that my parents (for whom I was actually buying the thing) wouldn't be able to drag the massive 65 to and from the beach.

The guys in front of me bought the 65. Made the decision easy for me.

I went from REI to The Varsity (with a stop at a gas station for ice) and bought three gigantic frosted orange milkshakes on Saturday afternoon. I drove from Atlanta to Cocoa Beach Sunday morning and served milkshakes to my family when I got home Sunday afternoon.

At any rate, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the major players. If you have a membership or coupon at some place then allow that to help guide the purchasing decision, as you aren't incredibly likely to find screaming deals on many of them due to strong MSRP/MAP enforcement.

Although, the big one would have fit a hell of a lot of milkshakes...
Old 08-03-2018, 01:53 PM

Was able to find a dealer locally who had what I wanted! It was nice comparing them to the Yeti side by side and went with the Orion 65! I was leaning to the 55 but the weight difference is negligible and when do you ever say, “I wish I had less space?” For only $20 more getting the bigger size was a good call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2018, 08:35 AM

Bunch of Pelicans on sale at Backcountry-
Old 08-14-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Bunch of Pelicans on sale at Backcountry-
thank you for this, just got the 70qt gonna have to use it as a bench / storage bin when i'm not traveling with it haha
Old 08-30-2018, 10:14 AM

In case anyone is in the market still. Costco has the Otterbox 45 cooler at $60 off online today.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:12 AM

Going to bring this thread back. Looking for an insulated cooler for a long road trip. Wondering if there are new players in the market or if any of these have held up or fallen apart?
Old 02-25-2024, 09:53 AM

Yeti for my 2 cents. Not that others are not good too.