Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Administrator

11-speed has the HUGE advantage of being corss compatible between sram/campy/shimano when it comes to cassette usage, so you can run shimano wheels on campy drivetrains.

the other huge advantage of 11 is the availability of cassette ranges. 9-sp shimano was similar, but 10-sp campy is totally lacking if you want low gearing in the cassette territory.

campy 10 stuff peaked, for sure, and it commanded a huge premium on the used and NOS market, but that is falling off these days because folks have realized that 11 speed is SO good, for all three major brands.

i've got a bike or two left with campy-10 on it, and like them because they do work very well, but nostalgia aside, 11 speed is better in almost every way.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:07 PM

I enjoyed every second out of riding 11 speed Shimano and SRAM greater than 10 speed Campy. No harm in trying something different!
Old 09-11-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
11-speed has the HUGE advantage of being corss compatible between sram/campy/shimano when it comes to cassette usage, so you can run shimano wheels on campy drivetrains.

the other huge advantage of 11 is the availability of cassette ranges. 9-sp shimano was similar, but 10-sp campy is totally lacking if you want low gearing in the cassette territory.

campy 10 stuff peaked, for sure, and it commanded a huge premium on the used and NOS market, but that is falling off these days because folks have realized that 11 speed is SO good, for all three major brands.

i've got a bike or two left with campy-10 on it, and like them because they do work very well, but nostalgia aside, 11 speed is better in almost every way.
Campagnolo 13-29 is plenty of low gearing and i ride some very steep stuff but that´s my experience.
The cross compatible thing sure is nice because shimano has a much better distribution worldwide and it´s sure easier to find their cassettes.
I prefer the campagnolo feel and i don´t think there is anything superior to campy 10. Actually i prefer the sq taper crankset: less trouble.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbones View Post
...I’ve benn hoarding Campagnolo 10 for years...
I have too, well, closer to 18 years actually. It's hard to explain why exactly. The Veloce Gumby 10-speed levers freshen things up a bit.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:05 PM

I kept 10sp record on my road logic, because part of me still likes the ultrashift, but it defnitely feels old compared to the new stuff. I don't really think it's worth hoarding. Heck, I'd probably sell mine if there was any value left in it (maybe I'll wait until 1x15 becomes the in-vogue and I can get top dollar from someone wanting retro gear for top dollar)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:38 PM

11s groups in whichever flavor will have more versatile gearing than any 10s groupset. I can report that R8000 works very nicely compared to mid 2000s 10s Chorus. But that is comparing a 2018 groupset to a 2006 groupset.

If you'd benefit from adjustable lever reach, you may find Shimano to be better than Campy's 11s non-hydraulic groups. (IIRC, you can adjust Campy levers further from the bar, but not closer; Shimano can be adjusted further or closer; pretty sure 11s hydraulic Campy and 12s are adjustable like Shimano.)

You should know that you can run Campy cassettes with a Shimano drivetrain if you don't want to sell off your current wheels. Yes, the cassettes are more expensive. But the shifting is very close to 100%. I'm running this configuration right now.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I enjoyed every second out of riding 11 speed Shimano and SRAM greater than 10 speed Campy. No harm in trying something different!
Quite the opposite for me...I have a Cannondale CAAD3 w/Campy 10 speed record that I have been enjoying more than my NeilPryde Bura SL w/Dura Ace 9000 11 speed. I can slam the right thumb and dump gears easily. The up shifts are positive and crisp and I like the hoods better in my hands. The truth be told, I hadn't really gotten used to the "lighter" touch of the Dura Ace. In fact, when it is really cold out, my Dura Ace rear shifter balks a bit with the lever swinging but not catching. I've never missed a shift with Campy. Oh, that creamy glow of silver too! OK, the levers are carbon but I'll still take them.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:42 PM

10 speed

Just changed my 10sp cables on my Spectrum and feels like a new bike! If you are selling any 10sp gear dibs, I have a Merckx 753 and Colnago Tecnos in need, thanks keep me in mind!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:07 PM

Campy

I’m still a fan of Campy 10. It just works well for me.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:15 PM

Campy 10 is really just that good. It looks beautiful, shifts all smooth and perfect and has enough cogs for enough range and close steps. What's not to like. Roll with it.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
what about campy 11?

I would take campy 11 over 10 any second of the day. Ergonomics is next to none, works great, looks good (ok not as good as 10 but can't have everything).
Exactly. That 10 stuff is terrible. I mean I got only 14 years and 75,000 out of my last group...

OP, sell it to me for $1.00...
Old 09-11-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
IMO Campy 10 is the pinnacle when it comes to groups.
Ditto. Set it up right and it just works. Also like the ability to rebuild every single piece. Ever try to rebuild shimano shifters? Thought not.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
I have too, well, closer to 18 years actually. It's hard to explain why exactly. The Veloce Gumby 10-speed levers freshen things up a bit.

To me these levers work great, fast and very smooth. In fact I prefer them to my 2015+ Chorus Group.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:41 AM

Well.. I’m using sram new red and i totally feel enough for me.
Easy to get replacement parts and i still love the shape since they are same as latest one.
If you have any trouble at finding small parts of campy 10sp or being sick of outdated looks, and of course you don’t feel enough with 10sp, I recommend to buy new one.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:27 AM

Thanks for all the responses
Overall the balance of replies kinda echoes how I'm feeling about this
ie Campy 10 whilst a pinnacle once the switch is made not that missable.

I borrowed for a while a Shimano 11 disc bike a while back and whilst it made me realised discs weren't for me I was ok with Shimano

Its jus that whole Rosebud thing! I've had and still use hubs, posts and brakes a long long time. But I'm thinking as I get older (52) its really more about the ride!