Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2024, 09:30 PM

Rubber plugs for Di holes in frame?

Are there commonly used plugs for temporarily putting in unused Di2 holes in frames? Thinking of future-proofing a new frame by having Di2 port/holes installed, but plan to use mechanical components at first and maybe forever. Thinking the wire holes should have plugs in them if I go that route, though.
Anybody gone down this road?
Thanks.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:36 PM

Yes, I have done this. BUt there are two kinds of grommets made by Shimano -- oval and round. Make sure you get the right kind of your port/holes.

Here are the round ones: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...a-di2-grommets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Are there commonly used plugs for temporarily putting in unused Di2 holes in frames? Thinking of future-proofing a new frame by having Di2 port/holes installed, but plan to use mechanical components at first and maybe forever. Thinking the wire holes should have plugs in them if I go that route, though.
Anybody gone down this road?
Thanks.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:47 AM

I'd do it the other way and build it for mechanical and retrofit if you ever need to.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:00 AM

My Lynskey built Ti frame has simple 1/4" holes for the Di2 wiring. Those holes are currently plugged with plugs I bought on Ebay. It would not be hard to drill those holes into a frame at a later date if you ever decide to go Di2, so I wouldn't have them added now if you don't know you're going to run it.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russd32 View Post
... It would not be hard to drill those holes into a frame at a later date if you ever decide to go Di2, so I wouldn't have them added now if you don't know you're going to run it.
It's a steel frame. I would want some kind of reinforcing plates brazed around the openings during the build. And then frame will be painted. I wouldn't want to drill holes later without reinforcement plates and also possibly mess up the paint in the process.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:06 AM

Sugru

Ever heard of Sugru? It is sold as a moldable glue. It is like colored playdoh- But it hardens to a rubber plug like consistency. I find that it works better than many purpose made plugs, stays put better and looks better. Comes in colors too.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Yes, I have done this. BUt there are two kinds of grommets made by Shimano -- oval and round. Make sure you get the right kind of your port/holes.

Here are the round ones: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...a-di2-grommets
I'm looking for solid plugs, not grommets with holes for wires in them. Thanks for pointing these out, though.

Update: OK, sorry, think I found some here: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...19239124402298
and here: https://www.ticycles.com/components/di2-port-covers

Last edited by tv_vt; 03-15-2024 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:27 AM

McMaster has plugs in many sizes, one of these probably works https://www.mcmaster.com/products/pl...er+plug+covers
Old 03-15-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russd32 View Post
My Lynskey built Ti frame has simple 1/4" holes for the Di2 wiring. Those holes are currently plugged with plugs I bought on Ebay. It would not be hard to drill those holes into a frame at a later date if you ever decide to go Di2, so I wouldn't have them added now if you don't know you're going to run it.
Drilled holes without reinforcement?
Old 03-19-2024, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
Sure looks like it to me. There are no welds around the holes. If it works on Ti for Lynskey I don't see why it wouldn't be fine for steel.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
in a ti frame most reinforcements would actually be worse than just a drilled hole
Old 03-19-2024, 08:52 AM

Agreed. At Moots we did holes without reinforcements and they held up well. Failures often occur in the heat affected zone of the weld. You must make sure the hole is not in the primary axis of stress on the frame and is deburred correctly.

Also Jagwire used to produce rubber plugs and grommets for thin walled tubes. Most if not all of the Shimano ones were designed for thick walled aluminum tubing.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:14 PM

Excel carries various sized solid plugs by Cervelo, my project end result wAs similar to what the OP is looking for. I started with an older mechanical frame, and switched to Red eTap, so various holes needed to be plugged. I recall the plugs costing $2 each and I bought six or seven total in various sizes.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Agreed. At Moots we did holes without reinforcements and they held up well. Failures often occur in the heat affected zone of the weld. You must make sure the hole is not in the primary axis of stress on the frame and is deburred correctly.

Also Jagwire used to produce rubber plugs and grommets for thin walled tubes. Most if not all of the Shimano ones were designed for thick walled aluminum tubing.
Question back to you, Butch. I just picked up a nice Routt 45 with SRAM components so have some unused holes. Best to plug or just leave them be? Thanks!
Old 03-20-2024, 04:36 PM

wouldn't a piece of electric tape suffice?