Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2018, 02:01 PM

They are good until they're not -- the sidewalls on mine gave up pretty quickly (prematurely, I'd say). I believe raekwon's experience was even worse if I recall correctly.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmojo View Post

I have an allergy to all things Spesh, BTW
for so many reasons
As do I, but the Turbo Cottons are so good. Fastest non-TT or non-Tubeless tire on the market with decent puncture resistance (I ride them on the mean (potholed) streets of LA. Most importantly the ride is borderline sublime. Only tire I've ridden which feels as good at 85psi as 40psi (yep, I forget to pump my tires every morning). Best of all the red Specialized logo fades after a ride or two.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...d-bike-reviews

Last edited by beeatnik; 08-08-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:27 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmojo View Post
a chacun a son gout I guess (to each his own)
the Veloflex 23 and 25 I have had ride both like buttah--smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom

I have an allergy to all things Spesh, BTW
for so many reasons
I didn't say they ride well but they are made out of buttah. Mine lasted less than 100 miles, 2 tires. Garbage. The Corsa G+ ride as good, if not better and they are not as fragile so why ever buy the veloflex? looks?
Old 08-08-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I didn't say they ride well but they are made out of buttah. Mine lasted less than 100 miles, 2 tires. Garbage. The Corsa G+ ride as good, if not better and they are not as fragile so why ever buy the veloflex? looks?
Same experience with a 25mm veloflex rear tire. Four rides and a sidewall tear. Never had a tear like that before. They sure do ride great, but terrible durability. For comparison's sake, I was using a pair of 25mm Corsa G+ on a road bike that I used as a spring/summer commuter in Boston (I have an 18mile rt commute) and had nary a flat on what passes for roads here.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:31 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
Same experience with a 25mm veloflex rear tire. Four rides and a sidewall tear. Never had a tear like that before. They sure do ride great, but terrible durability. For comparison's sake, I was using a pair of 25mm Corsa G+ on a road bike that I used as a spring/summer commuter in Boston (I have an 18mile rt commute) and had nary a flat on what passes for roads here.
I just had a flat on my corsas 2 yesterday... A huge glass shard, totally understandable. On the veloflexes, every single time it rained I had a flat, every single time.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:36 PM

I love master 25s, and would be willing to try the 28s. Corsas are faster and wear better, but the masters are just so good feeling. I like good feeling.

Never had a sidewall issue with my veloflex. Only a mounting issue with enve. They are pretty cheap, and I don’t mind swapping them when the puncture.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
As do I, but the Turbo Cottons are so good. Fastest non-TT or non-Tubeless tire on the market with decent puncture resistance (I ride them on the mean (potholed) streets of LA. Most importantly the ride is borderline sublime. Only tire I've ridden which feels as good at 85psi as 40psi (yep, I forget to pump my tires every morning). Best of all the red Specialized logo fades after a ride or two.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...d-bike-reviews

Need a nice side shot of that bike. Thinking about the Turbo's but not sure I am tan sidewall guy, though they are growing on me....
Old 08-10-2018, 04:42 PM

I understood the Vittoria’s, Veloflex and Bontrager R320’s were all made in same factory.

Based on the above comments it appears the Vittoria’s have harder wearing rubber than the Veloflex’s. Does anyone have experience on where Bonty’s fit in with the other two brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 05:07 PM
v a n i l l a

Last week my friend was doing 25mph on his brand new custom Sarto eTap hydro disc with boras when the sidewall blew out on his rear 25 with maybe 200. He saved it but huge pucker moment
Old 08-10-2018, 07:36 PM

Veloflex says no carbon. Not saying that the Boras caused it but they may have started the cut.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Veloflex says no carbon. Not saying that the Boras caused it but they may have started the cut.
I know they USED to say that, in the era where poorly mfg carbon rims were common. it's 2018 now, and you would think campagnolo, enve, bontrager, roval, etc...that thought would no longer apply in the context of the "better" mfg's. I have not kept up with that nuance so would welcome additional insights from folks who are closer to the truth as opposed to a blanket CYA...
Old 08-10-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I know they USED to say that, in the era where poorly mfg carbon rims were common. it's 2018 now, and you would think campagnolo, enve, bontrager, roval, etc...that thought would no longer apply in the context of the "better" mfg's. I have not kept up with that nuance so would welcome additional insights from folks who are closer to the truth as opposed to a blanket CYA...
They still say no carbon man. On the package. I've had great luck with my Veloflexes on Hed belgiums through LA. They're race tires and don't have a long lifespan at all -- only claiming 1500-2000 km or something like that. While they're ridden within their reasonable expected lifespan, they have been amazing with both flat protection and ride, and they're relatively cheap. Like, particularly good at flat protection. I used to commute with them.

I know the tires are dying when I get two flats in a short amount of time, then I replace them and the cycle starts anew with no flats until they're close to death.

Three particular issues on this thread that I see

1). Maybe people are riding them on carbon rims?
2). Maybe people are riding them for too long for veloflexes? They're really not meant for that many miles, but they don't claim to be and at like $27 online per tire sometimes they're priced accordingly.
3). They require higher tire pressure than other comparable tire widths. I run their 25s at 95-105 psi on 23 mm rims, and their recommended range is 85-135.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:09 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravdg316 View Post
They still say no carbon man. On the package. I've had great luck with my Veloflexes on Hed belgiums through LA. They're race tires and don't have a long lifespan at all -- only claiming 1500-2000 km or something like that. While they're ridden within their reasonable expected lifespan, they have been amazing with both flat protection and ride, and they're relatively cheap. Like, particularly good at flat protection. I used to commute with them.

I know the tires are dying when I get two flats in a short amount of time, then I replace them and the cycle starts anew with no flats until they're close to death.

Three particular issues on this thread that I see

1). Maybe people are riding them on carbon rims?
2). Maybe people are riding them for too long for veloflexes? They're really not meant for that many miles, but they don't claim to be and at like $27 online per tire sometimes they're priced accordingly.
3). They require higher tire pressure than other comparable tire widths. I run their 25s at 95-105 psi on 23 mm rims, and their recommended range is 85-135.
1- was not using mine on carbon
2- they had max 200 miles
3- pressure was 90-100 psi
Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 PM

flats on every brand

Contis: sidewall cuts on every model
Hutch: to many flats to count
Michelin: same
Vredestein: the worst
Vittoria: always flat in the wet
Panaracer: blew a front on downhiil
Schwalbe Marathon: NEVER