Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2018, 05:43 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

WAYYY OT: Gum Graft

Just got back from the Periodontist, mouth still numb. Any other PL members ever had this procedure done? Bottom gum, middle of mouth was receding pretty far with a 8mm pocket and had some bone loss under it. Decided to go for the graft. They took a small piece of good gum tissue from my upper pallet and grafted it to the lower exposed area they cut away. We'll see how this goes.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:04 PM

Had it done 20+ years ago as a kid. I was one of first two ever have it done while wearing braces (orthodontist screwed up and tooth got pulled away from gum). Just take pain meds for first few days, I remember the pain to this day as original novacain wore off. I hope they simplified procedure, I still remember the stitching through the gym and hitting the needle through....
Old 08-08-2018, 06:08 PM

Had one done about 8 years ago or so, wasn’t painful and the mouth heals pretty darn quick so don’t sweat it.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:12 PM

i have had one per year the past two years, and will be getting one per year for the next two years. all four corners of my mouth need to be covered because my skin is naturally too lax/felxible, so my hard tissue doesn't extend far enough over the roots as it should, so common recession can become a big problem for me.

they took a graft from the roof of my mouth to cover 3 teeth the first time, and then the cut from the same section (better fatty tissue/blood flow from the healed over part) to cover 4 teeth the second time around.

there is a discernible difference in the gum texture and structure after the graft heals, it's really remarkable. the roof of the mouth's healing process was the most painful, and the gums sutures were the most bloody.

if you get any big dangly clots swinging around from your graft area, after letting it sit and gel up for some hours, take a paper towel and gently wipe it away. it'll bleed momentarily and then stop. leaving it in-place can potentially obstruct appropriate blood flow to the graft.

happy to answer any questions based on my experience.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:45 AM

I have some areas with resesion and will require something. My Dentist uses an allograft technique. Need to do more research but it’s basically a biologic mesh/patch placed over the defect. Sounds good but....
Old 08-10-2018, 11:48 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

So, 2 days removed and my mouth feels great. The second skin bandage on the roof off my mouth has peeled off and I have no pain. Headed back to the Periodontist Wednesday to get the graft looked at and stitches removed. Wednesday to Wednesday I'm hoping is enough time for it to be healed.