Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2022, 03:10 PM
litcrazy

Sealant in Tubes Updated Conversation

Hello,
I know this has discussed previously, but quite a few newer sealants have emerged (Silca, Muc-off), so I wanted to renew this conversation.

What sealant have folks had the most success with inside of road tubes?

I run around 90psi in 28mm tires and 80 in 32mm tires. Any larger and I go tubeless. I live in New Mexico, so goatheads are ubiquitous and sealant essential. Still, I'm not comfortable with tubeless at these higher pressures/lower tire volume.

Context: When running tubeless, I run Orange Seal. In tubes, I have used Caffe Latex for the past decade. I'm generally happy with it, often going long stretches between flats. But sometimes I'll have a tiny goathead pricks, plenty of sealant in the tube and no success sealing the leak. I can't tell if there's performance differences between bottles/batches or it's just karma. I'm ready to try other options.

So that's the question: what's your favorite sealant inside road tubes?
Old 05-25-2022, 03:21 PM

Slowtwitch did a test of this years back. They had much better luck using Latex rather than Butyl tubes. Better sealants from what I recall were Caffelatex, OrangeSeal, and Bontrager. Personally I tried this once years back and managed to glue the tube together (latex ultralight, went low after not riding a week or two) so never tried it again.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...rt_2_4155.html
Old 05-25-2022, 04:31 PM

Why not use Slime? Latex in tubes will eventually harden anyway and you can't get it out. Slime is made for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-25-2022, 05:11 PM

Never tried it in a clincher, it's pretty darn easy and fast to swap on the road.

BUT, I do this in tubulars. Have had great luck with both latex and butyl tubed tubulars using the 2oz Stan's bottle. I've only tried it with small holes, it worked every time I've used it.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:19 PM

My daughter has a new E Bike...Electra Townie Go 7D. It has a rear hub drive....and I can see I'm not likely (and I know she can't) change a tube out on a trail. Lools like some kind of thru axle with wires running thru. And it's a fat 26' cruiser tire.

What sealant do you guys recomment? I see Slime comes in a 4 oz container. Is that enough to get her back home, pump up to maybe 20 lbs, even if it doesn't inflate all the way. This is for a tube. And I know trails around here rarely have any glass on them. Have never had a flat on a bike trail running 700X23's.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:00 AM
litcrazy

Goat Head Territory

For those of us who live in goathead territory, it's just different. Before sealant, three flats on a ride wouldn't be unusual... and that's using something like gatorskins.

That's why I'm asking for advice from those who are actually using sealant in tubes. What are you using that you really like?

As I said, caffe latex has been transformational, but seems a bit inconsistent. Do any folks have something they love?
Old 05-26-2022, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post
Never tried it in a clincher, it's pretty darn easy and fast to swap on the road.

BUT, I do this in tubulars. Have had great luck with both latex and butyl tubed tubulars using the 2oz Stan's bottle. I've only tried it with small holes, it worked every time I've used it.
I bought some Orange Seal to try on tubulars too but haven't got around to it.

Good to see your feedback.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
My daughter has a new E Bike...Electra Townie Go 7D. It has a rear hub drive....and I can see I'm not likely (and I know she can't) change a tube out on a trail. Lools like some kind of thru axle with wires running thru. And it's a fat 26' cruiser tire.

What sealant do you guys recomment? I see Slime comes in a 4 oz container. Is that enough to get her back home, pump up to maybe 20 lbs, even if it doesn't inflate all the way. This is for a tube. And I know trails around here rarely have any glass on them. Have never had a flat on a bike trail running 700X23's.
I wouldn’t. I’d recommended liners like Mr. Tuffy. We don’t talk about them much but for commuter tires they work great. Downside in your case you will have to take the wheel off to install, but a liner in this application will be far better flat protection than any sealant. I worked in a bike shop for 7 years, saw lots of gummed-up valves because of slime, hated that stuff. We carried it but always recommended liners over slime.

Edit, If you’re riding Gatorskins and still getting flats, put in liners.

Last edited by Clancy; 05-26-2022 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Update
Old 06-05-2022, 10:29 AM
litcrazy

Update

Based on the lack of response, this seems to be a bit of niche use.
I'm going to try Muc-offs tube specific sealant. I'll report back how it compares to Caffe Latex.
My hope is that it won't result in sealant clumps inside the tube and that it will seal goathead punctures without loosing as much pressure.
My concern is that muc-off lists every use _except_ with road tires.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:18 AM

On a couple of wheels I've been using Stan's inside the tubes (regular clincher tubes). Generally use about a half bottle per tube. Has it worked? I'd say overall it's been positive.

I've def. gotten punctures and could hear the glop hissing out, then settling in and stopping the leak. On a couple of rides air loss was minimal and on others I've used a Co2 to top it off once the hissing stopped.

Eventually, I've flatted on all tubes filled with Stan's where nothing stopped the leak. If I used more Stan's would that have stopped the leak completely? Dunno.

That's been my experience. Overall I'd say two thumbs up.

This thread & response reminds me I've got a few tubes to patch that are filled with Stan's... When ya hit the valve, having all that glop flow out is a bit of a mess.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:37 AM
Meh

Or you could just use tubeless tires. Call me crazy.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:50 AM

If that was for the OP, yes. For me, won't work. None of my rims are tubeless. I generally have older stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Or you could just use tubeless tires. Call me crazy.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:53 AM

I grew up in NM, so I'm sensitive to the OPs goathead issue. Slime was 100% required in the pre-tubeless days and you'd still probably change a couple tubes on any ride over 2 hours. I'd keep experimenting with 28mm tubeless options until I found something I liked. I know it's not quite as dialed as MTB, but there are setups out there that work.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:33 AM

I have a set of Schwalbe tubes with sealant in. They did not work for me in the setting I intended: gravel bike riding super sketchy terrain. However, I moved them to a commuter and the sealant is still liquid, 2+ years later. Orange Seal endurance. I can't say if they've prevented any flats because those tires are already nearly flat proof.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I wouldn’t. I’d recommended liners like Mr. Tuffy. We don’t talk about them much but for commuter tires they work great. Downside in your case you will have to take the wheel off to install, but a liner in this application will be far better flat protection than any sealant. I worked in a bike shop for 7 years, saw lots of gummed-up valves because of slime, hated that stuff. We carried it but always recommended liners over slime.

Edit, If you’re riding Gatorskins and still getting flats, put in liners.
Yes, and most e-bikes come with much heavier tires, many with downhill casings.

Tags
road tires, sealants, tubes