Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2021, 06:17 PM

Finishing up a biography of James Monroe and in the early part of Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin. his soldier of the Great War is one of my favorites.

Today, at our local library semi annual fundraiser sale, " War Reporting for Cowards" by Chris Ayres caught my eye and started that today. A Hollywood reporter for the London times gets embedded with US Marines in the first days of the Iraq War. Looks to be a Redmon O'Hanlon style read.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:40 PM

I am re-reading "Chevron - the Derek Bennett Story". The first race car that I worked on was the Chevron B24 that Peter Gethin drove to win the 1973 Race of Champions - a F5000 car that beat a field that included most of the top British F1 teams in a non-championship race at Brands Hatch. The list of drivers that drove and won in Chevrons is impressive for such a small company. They include Brian Redman, Reine Wisell, Vic Elford, Niki Lauda, Howden Ganley, Jody Scheckter, Mike Hailwood, Dieter Quester, Rolf Stommelen, Bob Wollek, Jean-Pierre Beltoise, Jochen Mass, Peter Gethin, John Watson, Ian Scheckter, Tim Schenken, Riccardo Patrese, Rupert Keegan, Geoff Lees, Beppe Gabbiani, Eje Elgh, Derek Daly, Elio de Angelis, Jim Crawford, Gunnar Nilsson, Steve Millen, Keke Rosberg, Bobby Rahal, Eddie Jordan, Jo Siffert, Jacques Laffite, Teddy Pilette, Vern Shuppan, David Purley, Bill Brack. If anyone is looking for a high dollar project, in my basement I have the tub from the B24 that Skeeter McKitterick drove to 10th place in the very first Long Beach Grand Prix.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Just finished Steven King's latest, "Billy Summers"..NOT horror, VERY good.
Just started Craig Johnson's latest(Longmire series), "Daughter of the Morning Star"
Old 10-10-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Just finished Steven King's latest, "Billy Summers"..NOT horror, VERY good.
Just started Craig Johnson's latest(Longmire series), "Daughter of the Morning Star"
+1 for Billy Summers…big Stephen King fan but lots of variability across his titles in terms of how much I enjoy a given book. This one’s a keeper.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:25 AM

Energy Flash: a Journey Through Rave Music and Dance Culture by Simon Reynolds. It’s got me listening to Screamadelica and Happy Mondays on repeat, wishing I could have experienced that first summer of rave. Regardless of your feelings on drugs the unity and love of that summer must have been something wonderful… society needs a rebirth like this now.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:41 PM

AiWeiwei_1000Years.jpg
Old 11-25-2021, 12:00 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Bumping this thread to post about a book-related topic that we love to hate - "Best of" lists:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...book-vote.html

Several highly-questionable candidates, and more than one glaring omission. I could only bring myself to vote for one.

Quote:
In October, editors at the Book Review asked you to help us choose the best book of the past 125 years. We received thousands of nominations — including novels, memoirs and poetry collections — from readers across the world.

We narrowed those submissions down to 25 finalists. It’s a list that reflects the submissions we received, with a few exceptions: Editors decided only one book by a given author could appear on the list, and didn’t count nominations for entire series, only individual books.

Now it’s time to choose a winner! That’s where you come in. Scroll through the list to learn more about each title, including why readers suggested it and how The Times covered it in the past. You can choose up to three, and we’ll announce a winner in December.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:35 AM

Just finished listening to Nick Offerman's most recent book. Very entertaining. Now listening to his first book. Interesting to see how he has matured both as a writer and as a reader of his writings.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 11-25-2021, 03:58 PM

Another +1 for Billy Summers. King…dude can write.

Also re-reading the original Foundation series books from Asimov. So crazy how the TV series is totally Star Wars but the books are super philosophical.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:02 AM

Just checked out ‘The Gene: An Intimate History’ by Siddhartha Mukherjee from the local library. Kind of a niche book but a relevant book to my area of study.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:11 AM

Finished a couple good ones this year, currently getting close to finishing "Griftopia" by Matt Taibbi.

Some of the winners this year

First Casualty by Toby Harnden (2001 Afghanistan, death of Mike Spann)
The Premonition by Michael Lewis (pandemic/public health)
Hate Inc by Matt Taibbi (current state of media/news)
Old 11-26-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojames View Post
Just checked out ‘The Gene: An Intimate History’ by Siddhartha Mukherjee from the local library. Kind of a niche book but a relevant book to my area of study.
I really enjoy his writing. I'd also suggest The Emperor of All Maladies
Old 11-26-2021, 09:49 AM
what's a little rust?

Sharing a House with the Never-Ending Man

A memoir of 15 years at Studio Ghibli. The more I learn about that studio and its history, the more respect I have for Toshio Suzuki. Artistic geniuses, egocentric business titans, cultural traditions, personalities and quirks—he takes it all on and makes it all work.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:45 AM

I mostly read fiction for pleasure — the book that has really stuck with me from the past year is Transatlantic by Colum McCann — three interwoven narratives about travels to and from Ireland, all based on real events.

I also finally got around to reading neuromancer which I understood half of… amazed it hasn’t been made into a film, though I suppose lots of other dystopian films have drawn ideas from it.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:54 AM
what's a little rust?

I also read Neuromancer recently. My first Gibson was his unchosen screenplay for the third Alien movie, and it trained me to calibrate my brain for clever ideas before clear story line when I read him. I’ve since read several of his books and find later work (Pattern Recognition, The Peripheral) to be better novels.