Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2022, 07:42 PM

Need new bibs

Thought I would ask the BRAIN trust here its time for some new bibs I currently have Q36.5 and there not bad and they do what I need them to do. but my wife has Velocios and also loves them so should I get another pair of Q' or should I try the Velocios? I have also had Assos but I do not care for the new versions

Thanks for entertaining my Random thoughts while im snowed in.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:54 PM

Giordana Forma Red guy here. And it’s freezing rain right now.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:05 AM

I bought these ProCorsa McKenzie short last year. I've paid as little as $105 on sale. They run small. At 133-140 pounds and 30 inch waist, I need a medium. Comfortable and well made for the price.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...-bibshort?sg=1
Old 01-17-2022, 08:10 AM

I see you're not a fan of the new Assos, but maybe the new Mille GTS may be worth a try if you haven't already. I find them to feel a bit more like an updated S5 Mille than anything else.

Other than that if the Q stuff works for you I'd go there. I'm mostly Assos for bottoms, but right now working on cycling out my whole collection so its either Assos, Q36.5, or team bibs for bottoms since I've found nothing else comes close to those two.

One other option that could be interesting is Cafe Du Cycliste Audax bibs, the pad is a little unique but definitely comfortable. More along the lines of the Q in being thin, dense, and larger versus the more plush Assos. I have the tights and those are the only non Assos/Q bib's I'm keeping around.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:10 AM

Castelli are my favorite, if not the most durable. Lusso makes very good bibs for the $.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:21 AM

I really like my 7mesh rk1, everything about them is top notch. Great fabrics, grippers, and compression, and the straps are not height specific - they just stretch and stretch. The cytech (I think) pad is sewn in front and back so it just shifts with your body and you never have to adjust it. The pad is a minimal one piece with varying density zones and feels too thin to be effective, but somehow works really well. The overall fit is true to US sizing. I also picked up a CdC Augustine which I haven't ridden yet, but the construction and pad feel very similar to 7mesh.

All that being said, I don't think you can top Q right now.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:26 AM
50 bpm

I use Pearl Izumi Pros (along with a ton of Ultras that I liberated from the late, great Performance, which were actually pretty good). My go-tos. YMMV
Old 01-17-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
I see you're not a fan of the new Assos, but maybe the new Mille GTS may be worth a try if you haven't already. I find them to feel a bit more like an updated S5 Mille than anything else.
I really like the Mille gts. I liken the fit and feel to be an upgraded version of my beloved s5 uno.

I’ve been underwhelmed by the other recent models such as ti equipe s7, and rsr s9.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:30 AM

I've never had Velocio but I've had just about everything else and IMO Q36.5 are the high water mark for bibs period. Can't imagine a brand more comfortable than them.
Stick with what you know. Plus, women' shorts are very different from men's. Unless you find a buddy who's had Velocios and raves about them, stick with Q.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:44 AM

Thank you for your input I truly appreciate it.

As for the Q' it's not about being the best or most expensive they are just comfortable. and I think for my fat Arse XXL it's more about the cytech pad. supports where you need it and no bulk where you don't. I love my Rapha Classics almost feels like you're naked but the pad is thick and bulky and after a couple of hours painful. IM not opposed to other brands would like to no spend so much. but then again I only have a few shorts in the rotation and usually, keep them for 5-10 years.

Thanks for my snowy day rant. skipped my indoor ride to shovel snow. now I need a nap

Last edited by dsimon; 01-17-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:29 AM

My favorites right now are La Passione PSN and Pactimo with La Passione being slightly better.

La Passione PSN has a higher density pad that is not too thick. They are very snug and compressive. The legs do not ride up which I find to be a problem on most other bibs. They come in colors and can be had for $100 on sale which is a tremendous bargain.

Pactimo Summit have a thicker softer pad. The fabric is very stretchy and very comfortable but does not have much compression but seems to be wearing well. About $160 on sale.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:47 AM

My favorites are Rapha Pro Team and Eliel Soledad. The problem with asking for opinions on contact points is that it’s so personal. There are probably other bibs I’d really like too, but I tend to stick with the known and Eliel is local, so there’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2022, 10:49 AM

Giordana FRC are the most comfortable bibs I’ve tried..
Old 01-17-2022, 01:35 PM

looks like a good sale at La Passione right now

How do people find the sizing for La Passione? I can wear a med in many brands depending on the cut. Sometimes L is the right size but their cut looks pretty tight. Thoughts? Edit - was thinking about their windproof jacket specifically. Looks like a good time to try one of their bibs too.

Last edited by Beldar77; 01-17-2022 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
How do people find the sizing for La Passione? I can wear a med in many brands depending on the cut. Sometimes L is the right size but their cut looks pretty tight. Thoughts? Edit - was thinking about their windproof jacket specifically. Looks like a good time to try one of their bibs too.
I can only speak to the bib shorts. I normally wear a M in most European brands but their size chart said XS. I ended up ordering XS and S and tried on both. The XS are really snug but that it how I like them so I ended up sending the size S back to Italy which cost me $10 but was worth it knowing I had the best size.