Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2022, 06:12 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Pretty much all the local stuff I find at regular stores is either IPAs or something crazy intense.
While I enjoy a good IPA, I too am tired of the dominance versus other options since my taste is fairly catholic (that's for you, @Xxtwindad). I know that quite a few "local" breweries (for me that means everywhere from San Diego to the 805) do make pilsners et al but I only find them at specialty shops where they're fairly pricey.

The photo of the Sapporo above, made in Vietnam, reminds me that I bought some Oranjeboom a while ago and was disappointed to see it was produced in Germany. Nothing against German brewing, just surprised. I guess that very little Heineken is produced in NL too.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Pretty much all the local stuff I find at regular stores is either IPAs or something crazy intense. Feels like the past 10 years have been a competition for the most “exciting” beers from small breweries. If I’m after a good pilsner or lager the best options do come from the other side of the Atlantic.
I guess depends where you are, I've got a few good places that will keep lagers/pilsners on rotation, a neighbor that runs a brewery and a few good bottle shops.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:32 PM

I just picked up a 12 of Stella for I think $15. Not a Pilsner but still in that style of the European lager.

5-6 years ago we did a family trip to Prague and that turned me on to a good Pilsner. The beer there was literally cheaper than water. Tons of good beers, usually 1 euro per liter while water was 2 per liter. Pilsner Urquell was often pricier at 2 or 3 € per liter but I thought the others were just as good. I’ve found my local breweries, otherwise really good, haven’t been able to match the euro pilsners.

I forget the exact story but many years ago there was a copyright battle between the Czech company Budvar and Budweiser and it worked out I believe that Budvar got to market as Budweiser in Europe or something like that.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:06 AM
You still here?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9EFAA09B-DF33-41D5-88A2-6B53E877940C.jpg (92.1 KB, 169 views)
Old 01-17-2022, 12:35 AM

Yeah, I've pretty much stopped drinking IPAs nowadays and have returned to good ol' Stella and Peroni. Pretty much the default beers in the UK that I'd always avoid back home in search of something more adventurous, but things have just got a bit samey now. IMO.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post

Last Sunday I sat outside at a bier garden in Palm Harbor FL drinking this very beer all afternoon with a bunch of friends. The Original Budweiser Budvar.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Went to Scotland not long ago to visit the Chisholm Clan. Inverness. Went into a local pub the first afternoon. Told the guy behind the bar I’d like ‘a Pilsner’…he brought me a Miller Lite. After I stopped laughing, I mentioned something more ‘local’…brought a Tennents..really good.

I’m not really a beer snob. Anything will do except the real hoppy stuff, like most local breweries. IPA, don’t care for them. But, Euro, Japanese pils, good beer.

US beers are fine, just no ‘lite’ ones thanks.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:08 AM

Title reminds me of Mike Tyson vs. Peter McNeeley.
European pilsners and lagers for me. Once in a while a Belgian wheat.
Gordon Biersch Märzen for domestic.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:22 AM

I've never liked those big hoppy IPA's.

My favorite local is from Chatham Brewing...CZech'rd Past.

August 12, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

I also like a stout or a porter.

SPP
Old 01-17-2022, 08:26 AM
Older Than You

I'm generally NOT a IPA fan however the Bull & Bush brewery in Glendale CO. has a "Man Beer" that I really like that is an IPA.

Presently I'm drinking good ole Texas Shiner Bock but that can change next time I go to the beer store.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:30 AM

As a homebrewer, I think expecting any sort of long-term quality from a beer that has been transshiped is asking too much. I'm not a lager fan in general, though when in the Czech republic, I'll go along. Since I generally don't buy beer and havent been within 10 feet of a Budweiser in decades, I'm not sure I have much more to add.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:48 AM

With so many excellent beers from small US/Canadian breweries, I have not purchased imported beer in at least a decade.

Technically, Budweiser (American) is not beer.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:08 AM

Many mass market Euro lagers we see here are just another InBev (Budweiser) product. They are even buying up craft breweries to get in on the act. See if one of your favorites are here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_InBev_brands

And if it isn't there it could be a SABMiller-Coors brand...

Funny the reputation that Stella Artois has in the US: in the UK it is associated with chavs, yobs and wife beaters:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskUK/comme...sociated_with/

Peter: I hope the pub in Scotland didn't get you drinking Tennant's Super...9% abv! Goes down well out of a paper bag on a park bench!
Old 01-17-2022, 10:27 AM
Descent fitness

On the last trip to London, several of the pubs told me that their best selling beer was Budvar. It’s pretty good but not in the same league as the 4-4.5% ABV house ales and bitters most pubs serve. IMHO, of course.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
Many mass market Euro lagers we see here are just another InBev (Budweiser) product. They are even buying up craft breweries to get in on the act. See if one of your favorites are here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AB_InBev_brands

And if it isn't there it could be a SABMiller-Coors brand...

!
InBev bought one of our first successful local breweries, Devil’s Backbone. A lot of people were up in arms about it, but the beer is still good, brewery still nice to visit and I’m happy for the original owner being able to cash out on it.