Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2022, 04:01 PM

OT: Euro Pilsners v Budweiser

So we all know about the supply chain issues. Why are the Euro beers (Bitburger, Warsteiner, Carlsberg etc) now seemingly selling for less than bud, miller, etc?

Quality/taste comparison or thoughts?
Old 01-16-2022, 04:16 PM
Rockstruck

What a coinkydink!
It is surprising how imports sell for same as domestics.
I rarely drink beer so can’t really chip in here, other than to say how nice it is to drink a Pilsner Urquell in the middle of an expected 24 hours of snow/sleet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D878F943-FAD7-4922-8A25-FA6088D727BA.jpg (91.6 KB, 405 views)
Old 01-16-2022, 04:19 PM

Urquell is indeed very good.

Don't know if this is the case for beer, but I know that a lot of Euro wines are very competitive price-wise because the land for growing the grapes has been in the family for so long that the cost of purchasing it has already been amortized, while newer operations have to price that in the product.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:21 PM

No idea.

Today's after ride beer and poke bowl. Well, the poke bowl is consumed.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:24 PM

I find Bud to be too sweet and much prefer Typical German and Czech lagers. I didn't know about this seeming anomaly in prices.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:39 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
What a coinkydink!
It is surprising how imports sell for same as domestics.
I rarely drink beer so can’t really chip in here, other than to say how nice it is to drink a Pilsner Urquell in the middle of an expected 24 hours of snow/sleet.
even more coinkidink is that I have the same beverages in my fridge just outside DC where it's still snowing.

I can't answer the OP cause I haven't had an American beer of that type in many years.

M
Old 01-16-2022, 04:49 PM

I have toured the Budweiser plant in Fort Collins, Co several times. They make all the Budweiser products there for shipment to area that plant supplies. This is an interesting tour, like being in ag class, all the rail lines coming onto plant with the ingredients, and one line running out with finished product. and I remember the guide saying several times they only used 5 ingredients for all their beers. Rice, Barley, Hops, Yeast, and water. And they adjusted the percentages of each of those for the taste they wanted. And used different hops from different farms for darker beers for Euro tastes. Just drink what the wife brings home. But do like Michelob Amberbock. Have toured the Coors plant in Golden also. Great tour, very interesting.

Last edited by Ralph; 01-16-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I find Bud to be too sweet and much prefer Typical German and Czech lagers. I didn't know about this seeming anomaly in prices.
The sweetness is because the yeast used for fermentation leaves residual sugar which gives the beer a sweet taste.

I know for a beer like Asahi Super Dry, the fermentation and yeast were changed to minimize residual sugar so the beer has a cleaner taste.

For the german beers, it is probably a different in hops they use to add some bitterness and darken the beer. It is what the craft beers do with the IPA, add hops and a ale yeast. and IPL just swaps the ale yeast for a lager yeast.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:52 PM

Two things:

Nothing beats an ice cold Sapporo or Asahi at a sushi joint. They have those taps that chill it in the way to the glass. So good.

Many us breweries are finally starting to dabble in lighter beers after the IPA onslaught. Other Half (Brooklyn and DC based) has a few good ones.

For home consumption I don’t buy anything imported except for Guinness. Prefer to support local.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:53 PM

Or you could skip the AB/InBev beers and get something fresh from a local brewery
Old 01-16-2022, 05:11 PM

Maybe they'll start importing Budweiser Budvar to make up for the shortages. (In a good chunk of Europe, the American beer is sold as "Bud", there's a Czech company who owns the Budweiser trademark.)
Old 01-16-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Or you could skip the AB/InBev beers and get something fresh from a local brewery
this! Other than a 12-pack of yuengling hershey porter, I haven't purchased anything but local stuff. Besides - I like my beer like I like my humor - dark and bitter!
Old 01-16-2022, 05:36 PM

Refuse to drink bud/coors etc with the plethora of good/great US micro brewery’s pumping out really good stuff and lots of variety-I’m an IPA and DIPA guy.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Pretty much all the local stuff I find at regular stores is either IPAs or something crazy intense. Feels like the past 10 years have been a competition for the most “exciting” beers from small breweries. If I’m after a good pilsner or lager the best options do come from the other side of the Atlantic.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:08 PM

Most of the readily available Euro lagers are hardly better than the usual US stuff. Many are probably InBev products anyway. There are a few good ones like the German Rothaus Pils Tannenzäpfle, but that one seems to be overpriced in my local market. Some of the Czech Pilsners aren't too bad either.

When I want a pilsner style beer in the US, I usually stick to the craft brewery offerings, with Victory Prima Pilz being a favorite of mine (I'm a hop lover). Try what may be available in your local area; the Victory has decent distribution. I've heard that Suarez makes some good beers in this style, but I don't think they are distributed where I live.