Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2022, 10:34 AM

Argonaut or Pursuit?

Earlier I asked if anyone owned a Pursuit bike but got little in reply. Now, I am going to cast the net just a bit wider. I'm also liking what I see with Argonaut's new RM3 bike. Seems to be about $1500 more than the Pursuit but has a couple of things I like. It has a custom, painted, stem with internal cable routing. Even with rim brakes I tend to brush the rear cable with my knee when climbing so like the cleaner setup. I know there is more maintenance if you need to replace bearings but that does not worry me.

Argonaut's stock geometry is actually really close to my custom Seven. Both brands seem to have similar methods of carbon construction. I also e-mailed Crumpton but, so far, radio silence from him.

I am also thinking of jumping back to Shimano and putting Ultegra 12s Di2 on it. For some reason I feel they have the better electronic setup, not to mention price, and far greater support as Di2 is far more common.

Thanks for any info you call have. No rush, good thing considering the backlog of parts, so this is most likely a 2023 bike.

https://argonaut.astiragency.com/
https://www.pursuitcycles.com/

Tim
Old 01-04-2022, 10:45 AM

Maybe narrow minded of me, but Carl started building bikes when Ben was still a kid. Based on that alone, I'd go with a Pursuit.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:53 AM

I know it’s not what you’re asking but if I was going custom carbon I’d get the Enve bike for the tire clearance + fender mounts. Looks to me like one road bike to rule them all.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:57 AM

subscribed to this thread as well. while i think crumpton, argonaut, and pursuit are all excellent, i'm all ears to hear feedback from owners.

i have spoken to carl in 2012 (?) when nahbs was in denver. came away much impressed. such a knowledgeable and a wonderful person. but i but not write ben off just because he is younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Maybe narrow minded of me, but Carl started building bikes when Ben was still a kid. Based on that alone, I'd go with a Pursuit.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:59 AM

As between the two, I'd go for the Argonaut since I consider it (maybe irrationally) to be more custom in stock sizes and I really like that Argonaut has its own forks. I might be biased since Pursuit doesn't make a bike that fits me. Although it involves a different construction method, I'd also check out Holland since Holland uses forks that Mike Lopez makes and you can even get a custom fork. Plus, Holland has been in the game a really long time and makes one of my favorite bikes that I most likely won't ever own. If I were in your position, I'd just follow up with Nick since I'd most likely be getting a bike from him if I were to get custom carbon. I'd also be checking out the Parlee Z-Zero.

We are always here to help you spend money. I'd go with Dura-Ace since you are already spending so much anyway: in for a penny, in for a pound. At least that's what I tell myself.

Last edited by Coffee Rider; 01-04-2022 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Fixing a typo
Old 01-04-2022, 11:09 AM

Theres not really much to consider here - I think they would all be amazing. Crumpton is the master of the one-man carbon show, but Argonaut is highly designed and has been at it for a fair while (albeit in steel originally) and Strong has been at it for a long time and has a stellar reputation.

As for the latter, Carl's business approach seems to be totally dialled in and professional. I cant say C or A would be anything but great as well, but Carl is known as much for his amazing bikes as he is for his communications and customer service.

Its a toss up. All things being equal (to me anyways) I would choose the Strong, as it is more affordable.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
As between the two, I'd go for the Argonaut since I consider it (maybe irrationally) to be more custom in stock sizes and I really like that Argonaut has its own forks. I might be biases since Pursuit doesn't make a bike that fits me.
I’m a little curious what customizations you’re looking at here or what fit you need that Pursuit won’t do? When I bought mine 3 yrs ago they mostly did stock sizes (ish) but my understanding now is that all builds are full custom…
Old 01-04-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout2015 View Post
I’m a little curious what customizations you’re looking at here or what fit you need that Pursuit won’t do? When I bought mine 3 yrs ago they mostly did stock sizes (ish) but my understanding now is that all builds are full custom…
I checked and Pursuit now does full custom in addition to a stock size that would fit me. I'd still prefer a Crumpton since I like the idea of one person doing everything, though I wish he'd also build his own forks so the whole thing could be built be one person.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:30 AM
Deconditioned!

Tough choice for sure! I do like Argonauts. There's an add in the current Peloton magazine that made me jumpy. However, I think I'd lean towards Pursuit with Carl's CV.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:38 AM

Tough choices in custom carbon, as there are a lot of good options right now.
If only down to your two, I'd go with Pursuit given Carl's history, pricing, and knowing 2 guys who really like theirs.

Branching out a bit I'd say cost-no-object Crumpton would be my choice. My father-in-law has ridden and owned most everything nice out there from Serotta Ottrotts and Meivicis, to Cervelo RCas, a fleet of Calfees, Parlees, top line Treks, and now has a Crumpton. When going to order a new bike last year, what did he do, get another Crumpton which said a lot to me since he's a guy who likes to mix it up and try new things. It's his favorite bike he's had in a long time, and spinning it around the block when I work on it, it's definitely something special.

Crumpton is going to be my next frame in a few years, after my new carbon Hampsten arrives this year. Yes I went Hampsten for mine, why you may ask? Well I've seen one carbon Hampsten and heard good things from his owner, and I wanted a road bike for 32's which Steve specializes in, so he got my money.

I'd be down to those two for another custom carbon bike if I was in your shoes. Parlee also builds an AWESOME bike, but the Z-Zero is just too much more $$ to make it a contender in my mind.

Last edited by ltwtsculler91; 12-18-2023 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:45 AM

Based on my experience with Carl when I bought a used Strong (not CF) from another PL member, I’d go with Pursuit. His response times are amazing and he’s always willing to answer questions I’ve had that have never directly resulted in business for him. I can’t imagine what the experience is like if you are an actual paying customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2022, 11:55 AM

Interesting that you mention Argonaut has it own forks. Apart from varying rakes (43 and 50), does Argonaut vary carbon layups on their fork as well for differing frame sizes? If not, does Argonaut having it's own fork, versus let's say, Enve, on the Pursuit, really matter? Unless of course, Argonaut's forks blow Enve forks out of the water in ride quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
As between the two, I'd go for the Argonaut since I consider it (maybe irrationally) to be more custom in stock sizes and I really like that Argonaut has its own forks. I might be biased since Pursuit doesn't make a bike that fits me. Although it involves a different construction method, I'd also check out Holland since Holland uses forks that Mike Lopez makes and you can even get a custom fork. Plus, Holland has been in the game a really long time and makes one of my favorite bikes that I most likely won't ever own. If I were in your position, I'd just follow up with Nick since I'd most likely be getting a bike from him if I were to get custom carbon. I'd also be checking out the Parlee Z-Zero.

We are always here to help you spend money. I'd go with Dura-Ace since you are already spending so much anyway: in for a penny, in for a pound. At least that's what I tell myself.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Interesting that you mention Argonaut has it own forks. Apart from varying rakes (43 and 50), does Argonaut vary carbon layups on their fork as well for differing frame sizes? If not, does Argonaut having it's own fork, versus let's say, Enve, on the Pursuit, really matter? Unless of course, Argonaut's forks blow Enve forks out of the water in ride quality.
I have no idea; I just like that it's all made in house. Based on what I've seen Pursuit is now doing (custom), I'd vote for Pursuit over Argonaut.

Last edited by Coffee Rider; 01-04-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:09 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Is there delivery time comparisons to be made, and is that something which matters to your decision?

I have had 3 Strong builds, still have 2. All steel in my case. Only sold off the 2nd as 29er lost me being interested in type riding i do and dont do a few year in.

Is the accessibility likely to be equal? From my experience, Carl excels in dialed professionalism on all the layers, so to speak. He'd be at very top of my list.

GLW-Project and decision...
Old 01-04-2022, 12:17 PM

I used to have a steel Argonaut, really the last one he made. It was lost in the Southwest Frameworks fire in 2015. Ben was young and working out of the Strawberry shop in Portland. He was very easy to work with even though he had some personal tragedy occur while he was building my frame. I loved that bike. I chose Ben because he was three hours away while I was stationed in the PNW.

I'm moving to Wyoming next year so my next bike will likely be a Pursuit. I'll be living four hours from Bozeman. I can test ride from his shop.

I'd equate the two builders.