Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
So now I'm curious. What is the value prop of AppleTV? It appears to cost $180 for the cheaper version. As mentioned, something like a Roku 4k Express costs $29 on Amazon. What is 6x cost getting you?
An interface that is cumbersome?

Jeff
Old 10-07-2021, 05:02 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
An interface that is cumbersome?

Jeff
I'm curious as to why you think the UI is cumbersome?

I ask because my 67 year old retired mother picked it up, set it up, and navigates easily with her iPhone and remote. Ease of use with Siri as well.

Her almost exact words from her were, 'Oh, its just like my iPhone and iPad, you can go forwards and back and you press the menu button to go to the Home Screen, cool.'
Old 10-07-2021, 05:59 PM

The “apps” on Roku as just video streaming app’s The AppleTV uses the same processor as an IPhone. So you can run things like Zwift and Rouvy on it. Where you can not with a Roku. You might be able to stream to a Roku. But that is a far cry from running it native.
I have Apple TV’s all they out the house they are all connected together and along with HomePod’s we stream music.
Every AppleTV has all the app’s and games synced so where ever you go the app is in the same spot on each tv.
AppleTV’s have Atmos and lossless sound when using app’s that support it.
You can connect your AppleTV to your computer or media server and stream videos from there too. Just a ton on things to do. Not just stream video content.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:18 PM

I feel like I ought to chime in, I actually have both a Apple TV and a Roku, and I actually use them both.
For just streaming I can't say that the apple TV far exceeds the Roku, but on the flip side I have no idea how one would consider the UI of the ATV clumsy or cumbersome, it really isn't either of those.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:44 AM

I know this pertains to just my family....but we're big fans of ROKU for our use. Not only can I stream Apple and Peacock....and thousands of other (mostly useless) things....our local cable provider is Spectrum. My family likes their channel line up....and they don't care if I watch it from their app or using their cable boxes. So I took all their cable boxes back to them. I believe this is only true with a ROKU Tv or a Samsung smart TV at this time with Spectrum.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:54 AM

I have spectrum on my AppleTV too. You have to subscribe to their internet as well as cable to use it.
Another app is Channels. It works like a TiVo for over the air and cable channels on the AppleTV.

https://getchannels.com/
Old 01-16-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post

Only concern is that I currently have a Garmin ANT+ dongle on the Macbook air... (that I use for Zwift)

...looks like I can use the CABLE interface from NPE to capture the ANT+ and transmit via BT to an Apple TV...
...so...I bought two Apple TVs (previous generation), one for our primary watching area and a second for the gym. (Actually I bought three...I couldn't remember where I put the second one...then I found it)

Anyway, I diddled around with Zwift and CABLE and Apple TV for a while, finally got it all to work today. Turns out reading the directions sometimes does help! Go figure.

The running mode on Zwift works really well. There's just a bit of a startup lag, then it tracks nicely to my (dumb) treadmill.

Last year I was having issues with ride mode on Zwift...my Kurt Kinetic trainer and the Garmin speed/cadence sensor didn't seem to provide consistent speed information when I was using the ANT+ dongle on the MacBook. Not sure the switch to Apple TV and CABLE will make a difference...I haven't tried the ride mode yet, will do so later this week...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy