Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
I have used all the different boxes. An ended up with an AppleTV. Have used TiVo for years 20 to be exact. An the AppleTV has a simple design. Just like a smart phone. You can also run Rouvy and Zwift on it too.
I've been on TiVo for about as long. Feel like a caveman in a hotel room or at a friend's house - "what do you mean, we can't fast forward through the commercials?"

I think the AppleTV is the way to go...

With regard to Zwift...I've got an old Macbook Air in the gym sitting next to the tv. Not sure moving the bike & trainer into the den will go over well.

...or the treadmill...Zwift is pretty good for running too!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-06-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
And if you have an iPhone you can use that as a remote. Which helps when you have a wife and kids who always loses the Apple TV remote.
Kids are grown and out. Dog doesn't care about the remote, which is usually stuffed in the cushions next to my wife. I always look there, whether or not it's in plain sight
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-06-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I've been on TiVo for about as long. Feel like a caveman in a hotel room or at a friend's house - "what do you mean, we can't fast forward through the commercials?"

I think the AppleTV is the way to go...

With regard to Zwift...I've got an old Macbook Air in the gym sitting next to the tv. Not sure moving the bike & trainer into the den will go over well.

...or the treadmill...Zwift is pretty good for running too!

Get a gen 4 Apple TV used on eBay for your gym setup with a decent tv. Best Zwifting upgrade ever. It’s silly easy and just works. If you have an iPhone the companion app on it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
Get a gen 4 Apple TV used on eBay for your gym setup with a decent tv. Best Zwifting upgrade ever. It’s silly easy and just works. If you have an iPhone the companion app on it is
So I've heard! Maybe this fall!

Only concern is that I currently have a Garmin ANT+ dongle on the Macbook air...

...looks like I can use the CABLE interface from NPE to capture the ANT+ and transmit via BT to an Apple TV...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 10-07-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:10 PM

I am streaming 5 ROKU TV's. Works great. Cheap.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:26 PM

I’ve been using Roku for years, these are great. I will note that I was at an Airbnb that had the roku on an usb stick and that was rather sluggish to interact with ( once playing a video was fine, just the interface was sluggish)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2021, 12:49 AM

I have been thinking about this too. My main TV hooked up to decent sound system is the Sony X900F and it doesn’t have Apple TV app on it. I am thinking about picking up an older Apple TV box from Craigslist for $30 to watch Ted Lasso. But it might not be a good option if I want to watch Foundation since the box would only be 1080P, but the TV is supposed to upscale well.

Old 10-07-2021, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
So I've heard! Maybe this fall!

Only concern is that I currently have a Garmin ANT+ dongle on the Macbook air...

Ya Apple TV is all Bluetooth. The only flaw I have had is some Bluetooth headphones cause interference. I listen to Spotify on my phone while I zwift. Otherwise it is so simple I love it. TBH it was such a game changer for me I gave up my android phone and got an iPhone

Old 10-07-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
Ya Apple TV is all Bluetooth. The only flaw I have had is some Bluetooth headphones cause interference. I listen to Spotify on my phone while I zwift. Otherwise it is so simple I love it. TBH it was such a game changer for me I gave up my android phone and got an iPhone
I added above...the CABLE device from NPE may be the way to go. Might do some playing around with it to make sure it works before I buy an Apple TV for the gym.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-07-2021, 08:39 AM

I have an Apple TV 4k, and I've had more than a few issues with it, most of them regarding apple fitness+, but none the less.....

The other Roku I have, I've never had an issue with, and I've had it longer, so unless you need apple hardware, I would get a Roku or something other than an Apple TV, they are much cheaper and seem to work better in my limited experience.

The apple TV is really the only apple product that's given me trouble.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:51 AM

The apple TV interface is terrrible.

Roku is much better.

Jeff
Old 10-07-2021, 09:22 AM

So now I'm curious. What is the value prop of AppleTV? It appears to cost $180 for the cheaper version. As mentioned, something like a Roku 4k Express costs $29 on Amazon. What is 6x cost getting you?
Old 10-07-2021, 09:38 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Signifcantly more powerful processor, built in RAM (can run interactive apps like zwift), better remote, ability to use the iPhone/iPad as a remote, more apps, easier integration with the apple ecosystem.

Here's a new (previous generation) 4K, 32GB for $119
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MQD22LLA/

Last edited by kppolich; 10-07-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
So now I'm curious. What is the value prop of AppleTV? It appears to cost $180 for the cheaper version. As mentioned, something like a Roku 4k Express costs $29 on Amazon. What is 6x cost getting you?
The only reason I got it was to be able to use Fitness+, and I paid "Only" 100 dollars for the 32Gb.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Signifcantly more powerful processor, built in RAM (can run interactive apps like zwift), better remote, ability to use the iPhone/iPad as a remote, more apps, easier integration with the apple ecosystem.

Here's a new (previous generation) 4K, 32GB for $119
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MQD22LLA/
Ok thanks. For just streaming though like the OP, not sure all of this is necessary? I'm not sure what a processor does for streaming but maybe it's about gaming?

Is RAM about being able to buffer more of a video in case your internet cuts out for a bit?

Roku says there are something like 3,000 apps available. I don't know what I'm missing I suppose.