Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2022, 05:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Did anyone confirm if Centaur 11 uses a unique cable pull or if it is compatible with other systems?
Nothing unique about Centaur 11s. Same as the 11s PowerShift systems since 2011. In 2015, droopy thumb button PowerShift became more robust, more reliable but same as any other PS 11s..
Quote:
Several early reports said centaur 11 shifters and the rear derailleur were don’t compatible with prior 11 speed.
I really doubt Campagnolo would make a unique to their entire 11s lineup a group that wasn't compatible with other Campag 11s 'systems.

"shifters and rear derailleur weren't compatible"..... with what?

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-15-2022 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I really doubt Campagnolo would make a unique to their entire 11s lineup a group that wasn't compatible with other Campag 11s 'systems.

"shifters and rear derailleur weren't compatible"..... with what?
I am skeptical too, but threads on two different forums say that it does not work and I have seen no evidence from someone that has actually mixed them. Have you actually tried centaur 11 with other parts?
Old 01-15-2022, 10:11 AM
3D

Campagnolo 11-speed shifter/derailleur compatibility chart

[mention]thirdgenbird [/mention] Still not convinced..
if Campagnolo did that it would be against everything they stand for.
And if hypothetically that’s the case.. why centaur and not super record which shimano did with their DA before.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:18 AM

I can’t answer those questions, but a Campagnolo pro shop that that is active online and does shifter conversions has repeatedly posted that centaur 11 is different. Why would shimano and dura ace have any impact on Campagnolo? Besides, Shimano didn’t just do this with dura ace. Tiagra 4700 is not cross compatible with historical 10 speed.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...p?f=3&t=150319

It’s not a lot to go off of, but people saying “it works” without trying it is nothing to go off of.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-15-2022 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:25 AM
3D

Campagnolo 11-speed shifter/derailleur compatibility chart

Exactly the point Campag is unlike shimano

Last edited by boywander; 01-15-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:31 PM

So back to the question. Has anyone actually tried mixing Centaur 11 shifters/derailleurs with shifters and derailleurs from other groups or is everyone speculating based on prior compatibility? Campagnolo does a lot right ( it’s all I own) but this wouldn’t be the first confusing decision they have made if true.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:34 PM
3D

Someone send me the shifter (right only) and I’ll confirm..
Old 01-15-2022, 12:57 PM

For what it’s worth, record 11 and chorus 11 shifter bodies share part numbers. Record 12 and chorus 12 shifter bodies share part numbers. This is consistent with Campagnolo history. Potenza and Centaur 11 do not share part numbers. There could be a number of reasons for this, but if it were 100% cross compatible, why not make a running change to potenza spares and eliminate a part number? EC-PO100 and EC-CE600 exist in the same catalog on back to back pages. Centaur 11 does share hood and bar clamp part numbers with Potenza so the change was not to accommodate differences with those parts. We can reasonably assume there is an internal difference. It’s impact on cross compatibility will stay speculative until tested.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I am skeptical too, but threads on two different forums say that it does not work and I have seen no evidence from someone that has actually mixed them. Have you actually tried centaur 11 with other parts?
'Threads' say post and pre 2015 stuff doesn't work together either...

As for Centaur 11s, I have not. Centaur levers and rear der is compatible with any other 11s bits, like cranks and chains, even those from the 's' brands.

With taking each apart, hard to say. BUT, I'll bet the innards between Potenza and Centaur are the same.

BUT, Potenza isn't in the latest product catalog..I suspect Centaur has replaced Potenza.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-16-2022 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:00 AM
Time & Bikes

This thread makes me wonder how well, or not, this combo would work:
  • Campy Centaur 11-speed shifters
  • Shimano Ultegra 11x34 11-speed cassette
  • Shimano 105 R7000 11-speed rear derailleur
  • Shimano Ultegra/XT HG701 11-speed chain
Might this index well?
Might this combo work better with a Campy 11-speed RD?
Might anyone here be experienced with a similar cross-group shifting setup?

Dave, who has basically always mixed companies and groups in drivetrains but has nearly always done that with a Jtek Shiftmate and this idea above would be without that especially useful gizmo
Old 01-16-2022, 10:23 AM
3D

I don’t think that combination will index unless there’s a jtek. Going with the Campag 11s derailleur would work for sure. But it would be a good test.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:08 PM
Time & Bikes

Then another question.

One of the 11-speed Campy RDs I'm interested in is the Centaur medium cage. Now the specs for that medium cage show the capacity largest cog is 32, but I'd want to use a 34. That stretch would work, yes? Especially because the Centaur RD's spec shows the chain wrap capacity as 37 teeth, which is exactly what I'd have with an 11x34 in the rear and a 48/34 up front.

Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywander View Post
I don’t think that combination will index unless there’s a jtek. Going with the Campag 11s derailleur would work for sure. But it would be a good test.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
As for Centaur 11s, I have not. Centaur levers and rear der is compatible with any other 11s bits, like cranks and chains, even those from the 's' brands.
Yes, cranks, chains and cassettes are the same spacing. This is not in question.

Quote:
BUT, Potenza isn't in the latest product catalog..I suspect Centaur has replaced Potenza.
Centaur replaced Potenza, yes. I am talking about the spare parts catalog. As stated, centaur and Potenza levers are on back to back pages:

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...rt_A_Rev02.pdf

We can all keep speculating or someone with the parts can actually measure cable pull. Easy to do if you have exposed cable routing. Put some tape on the tube under the cable, mark the tape and cable, shift a few times marking the tape at each shift, and then measure how much cable is being pulled/released. It wold be interesting to see this for pre and post 2015 groups as well. My understanding is Campagnolo changed the cable spool but apparently minor enough that it works fine.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-16-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
...Now the specs for that medium cage show the capacity largest cog is 32, but I'd want to use a 34. That stretch would work, yes?...
It depends... on chain stay length, hanger configuration and chain length. The answer may be to try it and see.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
Then another question.

One of the 11-speed Campy RDs I'm interested in is the Centaur medium cage. Now the specs for that medium cage show the capacity largest cog is 32, but I'd want to use a 34. That stretch would work, yes? Especially because the Centaur RD's spec shows the chain wrap capacity as 37 teeth, which is exactly what I'd have with an 11x34 in the rear and a 48/34 up front.

Hmmm.
I can's speak specifically for the Centaur derailleur, but a Chorus 2015+ rear derailleur has the same specs. for capacity (37 teeth) and max. sprocket size (32 teeth), and on my bike it works fine with a 34 tooth sprocket. (Also note that the specs. for the Centaur 11spd rear derailleur also match the maximum possible with standard Campagnolo 11spd components. You'd have to use non-Campagnolo components to exceed the official specs, so they likely wouldn't claim larger specs. even if the derailleur was capable of it.)

Last edited by Mark McM; 01-16-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Tags
campagnolo, compatibility, interchangeability