Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2022, 04:46 PM

I'm actually curious to know if the Potenza FD and Chorus 2015 FD are the same geometry and shape-wise, just different materials?

I chose the Chorus one for my Potenza build because it's black (the Potenza has a silver cage).

I seem to be constantly throwing chains off the inner ring no matter what I do with the setup.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
I'm actually curious to know if the Potenza FD and Chorus 2015 FD are the same geometry and shape-wise, just different materials?

I chose the Chorus one for my Potenza build because it's black (the Potenza has a silver cage).

I seem to be constantly throwing chains off the inner ring no matter what I do with the setup.
That is correct. All fders now are identical design, just differences in materials, color, names.

As for Centaur 11 and it’s ‘uniquenesse’, don’t know, haven’t even seen a Centaur 11 in person BUT, the LH lever/ front der is the same, as those above it, and I’d be surprised the RH lever, rear der is unique but it may be. I’ll also predict Centaur will be 12s next year…2023. And compatible with other 12s stuff.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-17-2022 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:25 AM

I hope you are right about Centaur 12. I would pause my current (unneeded) build if that were confirmed. I think a cheaper 12spd group with an alloy subcompact crankset would be great. I also think they could find a market for a 1x12 group. It would be a reasonable way to cut cost from Ekar and could still be competitive with 1x11 GRX. 1x12 Centaur with rim brakes would be perfect for my old cross frame. Unlikely to happen, but I would order it today if I could.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:32 AM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
That is correct. All fders now are identical design, just differences in materials, color, names.

As for Centaur 11 and it’s ‘uniquenesse’, don’t know, haven’t even seen a Centaur 11 in person BUT, the LH lever/ front der is the same, as those above it, and I’d be surprised the RH lever, rear der is unique but it may be. I’ll also predict Centaur will be 12s next year…2023. And compatible with other 12s stuff.
I'm getting Centaur 11 shifters and rear derailleur, and I'll be trying that with an 11-speed Shimano 11x34 cassette. I'll report back how well, or not, it indexes.

Dave, who has used various brands of front derailleurs with Campy Ergo shifters and they all work happily together
Old 01-17-2022, 12:43 PM

It will index fine across a shimano cassette. This has been confirmed. What’s not confirmed is mixing centaur shifters with a non-centaur derailleur or vise versa.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:49 PM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
It will index fine across a shimano cassette. This has been confirmed. What’s not confirmed is mixing centaur shifters with a non-centaur derailleur or vise versa.
Ah, until I see with my own eyes, using my own hands, nothing is confirmed.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:00 PM

Old 01-17-2022, 01:50 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
Ah, until I see with my own eyes, using my own hands, nothing is confirmed.
Prepare to be satisfied. It will index.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Prepare to be satisfied. It will index.
My experience is that yes, Shimano cassettes with Campagnolo shifters/derailleurs will index. But at the ends of the cassette, the indexing won't be quite as smooth as with a matched system. But it will often be acceptable for many people.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Good to know it's "only" my lack of mechanical skill throwing chains off the inside - not a compatibility problem.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:

As for Centaur 11 and it’s ‘uniquenesse’, don’t know, haven’t even seen a Centaur 11 in person BUT, the LH lever/ front der is the same, as those above it, and I’d be surprised the RH lever, rear der is unique but it may be. .
Interesting & yet not surprising that all things are so similar.

I know you have much experience on the various models & wondered what is your observation as to what is the main differences in shifters

For instance the Centaur/Potenza shifters....having recently look at the exploded views you provided I am curious about what are the benefits of Record shifters vs Potenza/Centaur (Power shift/Ultra shift aside) or is that the only real difference?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2022, 08:32 PM

Hey all - came across this thread in my own (failed) efforts to upgrade my drivetrain.

Had been eyeing the Centaur 11 shifters, only Campy shifters I can order currently in Victoria, BC, and put out an ISO for Campy parts, and a friend messaged he had an 11sp Chorus derailleur, so I got my shop to order the shifters, put it all together and boo..

At first I thought I had been sent 12sp by accident, as there was an 'extra' click. Then I realized it's just jumping a whole sprocket. (Leaving an extra 'click' either at the top or bottom, depending on cable tension.)

Started doing some reading, and then also learned there's pre- and post-2015 Campy 11sp. FFS. The derailleur is pre-2015. (Not that it matters in this instance.)

And then I saw that Centaur isn't compatible with anything else. And I can't get a Centaur rear mech anywhere - ironically I got a notification a few days ago from CRC that it was back in stock, and visited the page minutes later, but I guess I missed it.

So...trying to find out what other options I have. I came across this chart that lists shifter pull lengths, etc, etc:

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-...compatibility/

You can see some mixing and matching is possible. Guessing it refers to pre-2015, but doesn't help a ton with more modern shifters but it's a step.

So bottom line is: is there another derailleur that could work decently with Centaur 11? Thanks for any advice!!!
Old 10-24-2022, 09:18 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganDave View Post
Hey all - came across this thread in my own (failed) efforts to upgrade my drivetrain.

Had been eyeing the Centaur 11 shifters, only Campy shifters I can order currently in Victoria, BC, and put out an ISO for Campy parts, and a friend messaged he had an 11sp Chorus derailleur, so I got my shop to order the shifters, put it all together and boo..

At first I thought I had been sent 12sp by accident, as there was an 'extra' click. Then I realized it's just jumping a whole sprocket. (Leaving an extra 'click' either at the top or bottom, depending on cable tension.)

Started doing some reading, and then also learned there's pre- and post-2015 Campy 11sp. FFS. The derailleur is pre-2015. (Not that it matters in this instance.)

And then I saw that Centaur isn't compatible with anything else. And I can't get a Centaur rear mech anywhere - ironically I got a notification a few days ago from CRC that it was back in stock, and visited the page minutes later, but I guess I missed it.

So...trying to find out what other options I have. I came across this chart that lists shifter pull lengths, etc, etc:

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-...compatibility/

You can see some mixing and matching is possible. Guessing it refers to pre-2015, but doesn't help a ton with more modern shifters but it's a step.

So bottom line is: is there another derailleur that could work decently with Centaur 11? Thanks for any advice!!!
Everything you have should be working together. Centaur is cross compatible and the pre and post 2015 stuff does work ok when paired. I suspect that it is set up incorrectly.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:30 PM

Thanks, but I've been running Campy since around 2001, building my own bikes, have never had a problem like this...and is also evident in their documentation:

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...ev03_07_17.pdf

Centaur is it's own ecosystem. But I'm hoping there might be some other derailleur out there with a similar pull/throw/whatever ratio....??
Old 10-25-2022, 05:36 AM

I converted 10V Record bar ends to DT.
They’ll click through about 15V if you let ‘em.
I’ll try them with an 11V RD and report.

Tags
campagnolo, compatibility, interchangeability