Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2022, 01:42 PM

OT: Upgrade to Windows 11

Anyone gone through with upgrading to Windows 11 yet? I'm not an early adopter of just about anything, but curious to hear thoughts from those who may have upgraded. Interested in Bugs/glitches/compatability issues, or actual improvements.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Anyone gone through with upgrading to Windows 11 yet? I'm not an early adopter of just about anything, but curious to hear thoughts from those who may have upgraded. Interested in Bugs/glitches/compatability issues, or actual improvements.
I "upgraded" and I regret it...... They took out some features that I needed, the main one being where you can have the taskbar not group your windows.... I had to pay for software to fix that.

Anyways, wish I wouldn't have switched, and I wouldn't unless you have to.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:09 PM

Just bought a new HP 17" laptop. And it came with free upgrade to Windows 11. Was easy to upgrade. Seems to work fine. I like how it arranges things, and I'm definitely not an early adaptor. Nor particularly computer literate. Just know how to do the things I need to do. Scan documents and attaching to E mails is about as hi tech as I do. But set up to printer and E mail app was easy and worked fine. To me....using settings etc was easier than windows 10. I will say this new laptop with win 11 is more user friendly (for me) than my old laptop with Win 10. Can't comment on post above. I am running it with ethernet cable to router with about 220 MBPS service. Fiber optic hasn't made it to my neighborhood yet. About a mile away.

Last edited by Ralph; 01-16-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:33 PM

Windows alternates between good and bad versions. 10 was a good one, so I’m skipping 11 personally…

More seriously, I don’t really see how it’s a significant upgrade. Yes it looks a little nicer but functionally it doesn’t seem like it’ll make my life any easier.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:57 PM
Randomhead

the bastages added a lot of features I wanted to linux for windows and then decided only to offer it on win 11. Other than that, the stuff I have seen has been negative. It won't install on my computer anyway, too old.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:10 PM
Older Than You

I have a new Dell desktop that came with Windows 11. A few changes here and there from Win 10 but I haven't had any problems with it.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:20 PM

I upgraded* my laptop. I don't do much on my machine. I check email and use Google chrome. Other then the visual changes I haven't noticed anything different. Again it's my work machine and don't do much with it.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I have been using since early betas came out. It is on a 5 year old Alienware Laptop. I’ve use the laptop less often these days as I can use an iPad for most things, but I do use it with a docking station and dual monitors for work purposes when I have to create documents (MS Word, Excel, etc.) or when I need to access my office via SSLVPN. Otherwise, I use it for Zwift.

The only issue I’ve had is with remote internet connections to websites, at times, and remote servers like Zwift. Sometimes I have to give it a few seconds and refresh, or even reboot the machine before it establishes a connection (Zwift in particular). I’m trying to figure out the cause — my sense is that it is something in the Windows 11 internet security settings.

Overall, Win 11 is not much different from Win 10, but does allow for more customization of the desktop. If your PC can run Win 11, go ahead.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:30 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

My lap top is badgering me when the clock decides it's time.

I use this for too much [bills etc] to trust it frankly. Been caught out with 2 day of work on windows versions before..

The only time I did not mind was when I was charging 90.00 hr in the 90s for getting folks platforms working so they could continue what they had be doing before it infiltrated.

On a new PC/Laptop where I am going to have to set up all the utility purpose from scratch anyway is when I'll go 11.. Then start learning what-fors and eliminating all the hook processes they renamed I had already eliminated or they added...